Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2008, 10:36   #1

Boat: Still planning
Hey ya'll, Atlanta Ga newbie

Greetings,

Great forum you have here. I have enjoyed my time lurking and reading.

I am a 50 year old aerospace engineer and am doing some retirement planning. Did a Google search and found this forum.

I never thought much about sailing until a group of friends chartered a boat from the Moorings in St Martin. I expected to be seasick, bored to death, have claustrophobia and ready to come home. The experience could not have been more different. The wife and I had a fabulous time. We have since sailed with the Moorings 3 more times and have another trip planned for this June. Having a captain and cook is great, but it is time to step up to the wheel (tiller?). It is interesting how things change. As a boy, my Dad had a 17 power foot boat that we occasionally went out on. My recollection was that it was lots of headaches and hard work for a very short time on the water. I have sailed a Hobie a few times, once on a keel boat and once on a local lake in a 33 foot sailboat. I never had a real desire for sailing. I opted to learn to fly. Now that I am over the hill, relaxing on a sailboat in a temperate clime sounds really good. My best buddy has an airplane now and I can fly vicariously through him. The prime driver is that the wife is ready to get out of the rat race today, get a catamaran and head south. Finances and kids in school preclude that option right now. Although, our 12 year old is ready to drop out of school and come with us. I suppose we could boat school him…

I plan to lurk here and maybe ask a few questions and ponder how I am going to afford to put kids through school, get a boat and cruise the Caribbean.
Old 27-02-2008, 12:14   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
As far as putting the kid thru college if you stop working they will probably qualify for lots of grants. As far as boat schooling there are plenty of resources here that will talk aobut kids and home schooling. Just remeber it is not all going to be as nice as with a Moorings boat. After all you won't have a cook, a captain, or a mechanic. Well actually you will they will be you and your wife. On the other hand I wish my wife would throw in the towel and agree to go sailing fulltime. Everything else is ready except for maintenance on the boat and that never ends.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 20:18   #3
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
I'm from Atlanta as well (Woodstock, actually). I got here kinda the same way. I've been into boats for a while, always motorboats, though. But I think about sail boats more and more. So I started hanging out in here a few days ago and got hooked. One thing I learned was in a thread talking about the operational costs of sailboats vs motorboats. I had no idea that sails were that expensive! And only last about 5 years under hard use. Yikes. But, still, even though I've never sailed, I can imagine there's nothing like it. I got a feeling that once I do it I'll be hooked.

FYI: You probably have already found this out, but there are sailing schools up on Lanier.

I keep my boat in Charleston and go down there about every other weekend.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:37   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Mark, and welcome.

Once the sailing bug bites, you're done for. Good luck on realizing your dream!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here on the forum.
Hope you can follow your dream.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39   #6

Welcome, Mark

Your biggest mistake was chartering in St. Maarten. No wonder you're hooked. What were you thinking? - there's no hope for you now.

P.S. We kind of like St. Martin, er Sint Marten, er whateverver......
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote