Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 00:40   #1

Hi All - From New User

Hi All,

My name is Matt and im from Sydney.

Very interested in getting into sailing and purchasing a boat.

I will be honest and say I know very little about it at this stage so will be looking at taking lessons and joining a club if available.

Any info on where i can start would be great.

Cheers.

M
r0ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
This is a great spot to start, you can find information on just about anything you want in regards to sailing. And if you cant find the information, just ask, they are many experts on this board and will graciously answer your questions.

Good luck and welcome aboard
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:15   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Matt,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Use the search part of this forum and you'll really learn a lot.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:54   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Matt,
Welcome on board and hope you achieve your aims. No shortage of clubs or yachts in Sydney needing crew.............
Cheers
JOHN
Old 10-04-2007, 15:16   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
G'day Matt,

Welcome aboard.
I'm not Sydney based, but a friend of mine told me that she got into sailing through a system that they have at the CYCA (Cruising Yacht Club of Australia) in Rushcutters Bay. Apparently you can sign up for twilight racing where the club provides the yacht and an experienced skipper and then "newbies" make up the crew and "learn the ropes".

Also, if you are serious about purchasing yourself a yacht, your best friends are going to be

a) The Yacht Hub Boats for Sale New & Used Yachts @ The Yacht Hub
b) Boatpoint Used Boats - New Boats - Search New & Used Boats For Sale - BoatPoint Australia

These are easily the best web sites for searching for boats in Australia. Even if you are not yet at the stage where you are going to purchase, it is well worth spending an hour or two per week looking through the boat listings that are in your price/size range... it is, in my opinion, important to get a feel for the market... i.e. get to realise what the going price is for a give size / age / type of boat. You will also find that looking at a few thousand boats will help you to refine what it is that you are realistically looking for & able to afford.

Other than that, wlecome aboard, and get out on the water!

Cheers
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 20:39   #6

Hi all, Thanks for the warm welcome.

Weyalan, I was searching through boatpoint the other night and found some nice ones for around 10,000. around 28ft.

Looks good, I have to catch up on some research and see if these are actually going to suit what I am looking to do (once experianced).

My first goal is a trip from Syd > Brisbane.

Matt
r0ma is offline   Reply With Quote