Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2022, 06:35   #31

Re: Hi everyone, we're building a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
This CF can be a "reality show" for some.
One can't deny the dreams of others, but it needs to be tempered with a dose of reality.
Not saying it can't be done, but at age 67, it might be three years or more, before stepping onboard for the first sail.
As someone who has over the years experienced both the weirdos who have to tell everyone they need a 500k boat and a crew of 5 to leave the slip.. and the other HELPFUL reality checks... The helpful reality checks are worth their weight in gold. I was seriously close to building a 50 ferro or herreschoff-ish wooden boat and they stopped me from wasting 20 years of life and money on a future bonfire. Im older now .. got distracted for quite a while making money.. and ill be able to buy pretty much what i want when im ready, know what to buy due to those reality checks and suggestions and wont be living off whatever i can scrounge from fishing
Old 18-09-2022, 07:57   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

During the time I built my boat, I got to know several other boat builders, as this was the craze back in those days..late 70's, early 80's.
Out of the dozen or so homebuilders I got to know, I seem to recall only three made it to the water. Most others were abandoned in various stages.

Of those three, only one sailed anywhere.

After completion, I got to sail on the maiden voyage of one of the other's of them. The second the first wave broke over the bow, the wife said, ok, this is not for me. Three plus years of blood, sweat and tears and a lot of $$$ down the drain. It was a heartbreaking moment for the captain, whom I had gotten to know quite well.

But, enuff of the doom and gloom. It can be done and why not ??
At age 67, what else are you going to do??

I had a blast building my boat, some of the best years of my life in fact. I wasn't just building a boat, I was building a dream.
To this day, I love putzing around with tools and doing various woodworking projects.

Part of me would like to build another one. Just for the thrill of it.
Old 18-09-2022, 08:37   #33

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Ask yourself how old you will be in 3 or 4 years if you don’t build the boat.
Old 18-09-2022, 12:19   #34

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

But, enuff of the doom and gloom. It can be done and why not ??
At age 67, what else are you going to do??

Oh, I don't know
How about stump up a bit extra and simply buy that 50+ ft cat and get out there and enjoy it, doesn't have to be new and shiney and you ain't taking that money with you.

Watching the sunrise over the water this morning as I type sure beats the thought of years of sucking down bog dust, paint fumes and pushing torture boards.
Old 18-09-2022, 12:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Ask yourself how old you will be in 3 or 4 years if you don’t build the boat.
As yourself how old you will feel after the 3 or 4 stretches to 5 or 10 and you realise you may have left it to late.
Old 18-09-2022, 12:39   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Reminds me of a guy I know building a boat. He has been at it "forever". He started on it long before I met him, and is still going at it now. Maybe 50 years now, and counting.

He is not a sailor, nor has any intention of sailing anywhere.
He just likes working on his boat. It's his hobby, his passion if you will.
For him, there is always something that needs to be done.

For him, sailing and cruising is done in the imagination. He can sit in the cockpit of his unfinished boat and let his mind drift off to far flung places.

Some day, someone will be able to pick up a helluva deal on a boat.
Old 18-09-2022, 13:37   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Oh, I don't know
How about stump up a bit extra and simply buy that 50+ ft cat and get out there and enjoy it, doesn't have to be new and shiney and you ain't taking that money with you.

As an example, this 61fter done in durakore epoxy, well maintained and a few years back had a $4 in front of it over in the Nederlands, probable cheaper than the kit the OP is talking about.

I visited during her build, beautifully done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1663532832477.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	264673  
Old 19-09-2022, 09:40   #38

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

Good for you! Living well is the best revenge. Seek adventure from wherever! As you begin your build I hope you post access information to the YouTube channel so we may enjoy your adventure
Old 19-09-2022, 14:35   #39

Boat: Victory 35 "SYMMETRY"; Windrider 16 Trimaran

Having retired at 58, I was going to build a 35 ft trimaran, from plans. A friend and mentor sent me a copy of the West Marine book on boatbuilding/epoxy inscribed “Only a fool builds a boat! Just go sailing.”
Thought it over and bought a nice used 35’ cat, a Victory 35. Best advice anyone ever gave me…
Several years ago I watched a very talented marine architect and very experienced boat builder and designer build a 50’ custom cat he had designed for a client . At various stages he had 2-3 experienced helpers on the project. The build took 4 years just as planned and came in close to budget.

Eventually I built an Optimist pram for my grandkids. About 50 hours in a well equipped shop. Just the right sized project.
Old 19-09-2022, 20:05   #40

Boat: Tartan 40
Hi everyone, we're building a boat!

And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=58124

This is one example. Thread started in 2011, in post 27 he thought 2-3 years, and life and other stuff got in the way. Looks like it will eventually be a great boat but not yet done…
Old 19-09-2022, 20:08   #41

Boat: Tartan 40

So, I think you have to ask yourself : do you like building a boat, or do you like sailing a boat? Plenty of finished boats that will be quicker to get out on even if you work for the next 2-3 years to pay for it…
Old 19-09-2022, 20:56   #42

Boat: Jarkan 12.5 42 feet

Hi. I think you have a great plan and good luck with progress and execution.
I think the comments about being close to the build site is so important as to be essential.
Do you have a low cost site where you can build it? ideally a back yard on your own property.
Both you and your brother will need wood working skills. if you do not have them you should get some training - they can be learned. If you have to pay someone to do the work it will cost double what you think it will.
You will need cover so that you can work in bad weather either a tent or shed for part of the build and you need to plan for this in your budget.
Good luck
Old 19-09-2022, 23:57   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdasso View Post
Hi. I think you have a great plan and good luck with progress and execution.

I think the comments about being close to the build site is so important as to be essential.

Do you have a low cost site where you can build it? ideally a back yard on your own property.

Both you and your brother will need wood working skills. if you do not have them you should get some training - they can be learned. If you have to pay someone to do the work it will cost double what you think it will.

You will need cover so that you can work in bad weather either a tent or shed for part of the build and you need to plan for this in your budget.

Good luck

He’s 67. He may have few skills. You can’t learn time served skill like carpentry in a few months.

I’m sorry it’s the most ridiculous project one could imagine it’s almost certainly going to fail
, causing a failing out between families , waste a small fortune and simply make everyone older.

Madness sheer madness
Old 20-09-2022, 06:49   #44

Boat: Conser Catamaran 42

Hi everyone,
We've built a 42' cat in Southern California. The hulls were laid up in Conser 40 molds and the rest of the boat is custom design. I consider it a performance cruiser at 12000 lbs. Launched almost a year ago.

Yes, it took too long.

No, I didn't develop epoxy sensitivity, thank God.

I agree with others in saying that unless you can throw the necessary workforce at this project, you'll be sailing much sooner if you buy a completed boat.

If building a boat is part of your dream, then again, throw the necessary workforce at it and go for it.

We're still married and leaving today to cruise the Channel Islands for a few days.

You've picked a great design.

While I had a background in boat building and that portion came easily, albeit slowly due to working on the project solo, where things got bogged down was finding talented people to work on the systems that I didn't have much experience with. A work force that can keep things moving forward will make all the difference in your project (see a theme here?). For me, half the enjoyment was the build process.

Good luck, and Akua Kai is slipped in Ventura Harbor.
Old 20-09-2022, 12:34   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
And So it Begins . . . Knottybuoyz' New Project
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad.php?t=58124

This is one example. Thread started in 2011, in post 27 he thought 2-3 years, and life and other stuff got in the way. Looks like it will eventually be a great boat but not yet done…

.....yes and Knotty's last post, ever, was 2 1/2 years ago. No mention of a finished boat.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread

Tags
boat