Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2022, 13:26   #46

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37
Re: Hi everyone, we're building a boat!

So wonderful to hear of your plan! We built our Richard Woods-designed Gypsy in 2 years (Garett expected it to take 6 months ha ha) from scratch, no kit--just the plans. You think once you get the hulls done you are almost there. Not so! That's just the framework. Like framing a house, only a boat takes much longer to build than a house. We launched in 1998 and as we were both working non-stop each night and every weekend day, we had no one to film us, but if you go to our website, Time For a Catamaran Adventure – Isn't Time For Yours?, you can see the result and a video on cutting it in half and extending it 5 feet (in addition tot the 4 feet we added to the aft hulls when on the hard in the Sea of Cortez) 7 or 8 years ago.

We also looked at the Schionning, and we agree it is an excellent choice. Our advice: don't dilly dally. Go at it! Every single night if you work, and if not every day, and every weekend day. Too many people do not really focus and then it takes too long, they get discouraged, it seems overwhelming, etc.

Every day when we arrived at our boat shed, it took us a while to get momentum going on whatever the job was that day, but once you get going--hopefully you have a team, one of you being the designated epoxy mixer!--you develop a synergy and energy that sees you through the day and you see a significant step forward at the end of every day.

Happy for your plans! We built in Vancouver (actually at a boatyard in a suburb) and in 2006 did what you are planning: sailed to Mexico, explored the Sea of Cortez, across the Sea to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and 200 miles south of that to Bahia Tenacatita, back much further north into the Sea of Cortez, across to Hawaii, 3-4 months through the Hawaiian Islands and then home over 2 years. It was wonderful. Our daily pictures and stories are on our website as well.

Happy building! Happy sailing!
Carllie & Garett
Time For a Catamaran Adventure – Isn't Time For Yours?
Old 20-09-2022, 14:05   #47

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwave99 View Post
. Our advice: don't dilly dally. Go at it! Every single night if you work, and if not every day, and every weekend day..
Yep, all good until you end up broken and in hospital, totally burnt out and unable to even look at the boat at near lockup stage sitting in your backyard.

Ask me how I know.
Old 20-09-2022, 14:37   #48

Boat: Volkscruiser

I surveyed a 40-foot Easy cat built by a retired couple. They managed to do it pretty quick and did a good job for a couple of amateurs. We built our own 32-foot yacht in 18 months part time and saved the burn out for when we were on the water.
Adventure before dementia is all I can say.

Cheers
Old 20-09-2022, 15:06   #49

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Bloody hell there are a lot of strong opinions that come from second hand observations, estimated talent, estimated resources and estimated commitment based on almost no knowledge of Ronda S, her brother and sister in-law.

It would be like me saying anyone buying a Bavaria 36 would be the most ridiculous thing you could do because it's not a match for me ... (Slight dig at goboatingnow :-) )
Old 20-09-2022, 15:21   #50

I don't see any negative or discouraging advice. When was the last time you built a boat?
Old 20-09-2022, 18:22   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have built from scratch...twice...it's no fun! And yes, takes twice as long and 3 times the money. I am comfortable buying an outdated fixer and dumping the money that way. At least you are in the water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-09-2022, 22:00   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

It would be like me saying anyone buying a Bavaria 36 would be the most ridiculous thing you could do because it's not a match for me ...
Well, the keel might fall off if you take it into deep water! And why do you need a 36'er anyway, 32' is two orders of magnitude less maintenance cost. Do you have any experience buying a boat? Remember, your no spring chicken, maybe you should just go sit in the corner, leave the big dreams for those who have done it before and know what's what.
Old 20-09-2022, 22:07   #53

😊⛵️We are! And we are always very very thankful we have our beautiful Light Wave and live on abound the Beautiful British Columbia coast where peaceful stupendous Green and mountain lined fjords and inlets abound.
Old 20-09-2022, 23:32   #54

Boat: no boat any more

Talking big before the fact…
Old 20-09-2022, 23:35   #55

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yep, all good until you end up broken and in hospital, totally burnt out and unable to even look at the boat at near lockup stage sitting in your backyard.

Ask me how I know.
Ask me how I agree.

I remember going all out for a number of years. Then the hospital visits.

I wouldn't do it again, personally.

Only do it if you enjoy building boats and chemicals.
Old 21-09-2022, 08:39   #56

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well after 2 posts over 2 1/2 weeks ago, that seems to be it for them...although we have continued the pros and cons for four pages thus far.

Over the many years I have been here (on and off) I have watched a few people do rebuilds and complete builds from having paper plans and moving forward from there. I would hate to see the statistics of the ones who made it to the water. I doubt many. Probably the better numbers would be with starting from a complete derelict and moving forward from there. Better yet are the folks here buying a boat in nice shape that needs complete systems replacement or renovation.

Then we have the dreamers who have nothing but enthusiasm. Rarely experience and doubtful they will pass the "hey look what I'm going to do" stage. I think the only takeaway is the entertainment factor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-09-2022, 08:50   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I surveyed a 40-foot Easy cat built by a retired couple. They managed to do it pretty quick and did a good job for a couple of amateurs. We built our own 32-foot yacht in 18 months part time and saved the burn out for when we were on the water.
Adventure before dementia is all I can say.

Cheers
Yay, Fore and Aft! Adventure before Dementia is for sure. We learned more about each other and ourselves, our inner beautiful selves, than we ever had before on our 2-year offshore Adventure 2006-2008 and we still talk about it and think about it.

Don't let the naysayers here get to you. Stick with your great plan!
Carllie & Garett
Time For a Catamaran Adventure – Isn't Time For Yours?
Old 21-09-2022, 10:04   #58

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well after 2 posts over 2 1/2 weeks ago, that seems to be it for them...although we have continued the pros and cons for four pages thus far.

Over the many years I have been here (on and off) I have watched a few people do rebuilds and complete builds from having paper plans and moving forward from there. I would hate to see the statistics of the ones who made it to the water. I doubt many. Probably the better numbers would be with starting from a complete derelict and moving forward from there. Better yet are the folks here buying a boat in nice shape that needs complete systems replacement or renovation.

Then we have the dreamers who have nothing but enthusiasm. Rarely experience and doubtful they will pass the "hey look what I'm going to do" stage. I think the only takeaway is the entertainment factor.
the.”hey-look-what-I-am-going-to-do” attitude pretty much precludes the frame of mind necessary for the successful completion of such a gigantic project. I have met a few of them in my time, none of them successful.
As to “naysayers”: I rtw-ed my home built 34’ cat, this is one of the subjects where I know what I am talking about: the chance of them successfully completing what they brag about already now—- are somewhere in the 3rd decimal
Old 21-09-2022, 10:16   #59

Boat: Tartan 40
Hi everyone, we're building a boat!

Again, not knowing the OP- and hopefully they are passionate about boat building for a while….

But, they could also be part of a growing group of sailors who believe that only a large catamaran will do. And, not be in a financial position to buy a blue water capable 50 foot catamaran.
I totally get there are some advantages of catamarans. But if budget is the big driver of the build I highly suggest they consider a larger monohull (50+) as there is a much larger chance of finding an affordable bluewater worthy monohull, and being able to go sooner than later- probably for same cost as kit and components for the cat, not to mention labor.
Old 21-09-2022, 13:27   #60
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Hi everyone, we're building a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Bloody hell there are a lot of strong opinions that come from second hand observations, estimated talent, estimated resources and estimated commitment based on almost no knowledge of Ronda S, her brother and sister in-law.

It would be like me saying anyone buying a Bavaria 36 would be the most ridiculous thing you could do because it's not a match for me ... (Slight dig at goboatingnow :-) )

It floats has sails and can be sailed immediately on stepping on to it.

Hence that’s much much better then years of toil sweat money and NO sailing.

We don’t need to know your abilities , all you need to sail my boat is enough strength to raise sails. To build a good boat you need , large expensive tools , premises, significant skill sets , stacks of money , loads of time , it will take 3x longer and cost 4x mote then you think. Add up all these negatives and you’re setting yourself up for a fail.

And fail you will

In the meantime I’ll be sailing which is surely the point of boat ownership.

Tags
boat