Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 18:29   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Hi first time from First Mate

Just joined this forum.

Selling house on June 25, selling everything we own to live on a boat and moving to JAX FL to catch up with husband already there after transferring in October. Took this long to sell the house.

Moving with an old cat (animal - not boat).

Buying a Privilege 39 hopefully.

Retiring (quitting) from 30 years as an engineer.

Any advice on moving cat across country and onto a boat will be appreciated.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 19:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Neighbors with cat that hates boat use this method. Place cat inside pillow case before moving cat to boat. Cat really hates going to the boat but can handle being there. Details such as this are important yet subtle with cats (the animals). They seem to seek out the spaces they require and prefer well when not given a choice. They also seem to hold a grudge.

There lies the whole truth I know of cats (animals not the boat). We are dog people and dogs hate pillow cases more than boats and would prefer to go than to be left behind. Cats may also share this too but clearly are not telling you or me. Cat (the boats) are about the same to a cat (the animal) so boat type probably won't matter. Our neighbors have a trawler.

Houses always seem to take a long time to sell even when it isn't. Your anticipation clearly slows the clock. If they were foreclosing, the house would have sold months ago so there you have it. Good luck on the closing because it's not over until they close in person with the money.

As far as buying a Privilege 39 the only thing that worries me is the "hopefully" part. Is it under contract or still just an idea? Being in between residences presents other logistical problems. I can understand leaving Fairfax. The sailing isn't very good.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 19:23   #3

Hi Paul - thanks for the response.

I just hope the old neutered male cat doesn't decide to get even by despoiling some piece of our clothing left lying about. That's what cats do to get even when they're holding a grudge (one cat despoiled both ways on a brand new $300 down ski jacket about 26 years ago). I think a cage will be better than a pillow case. Maybe tranquilizers will help.

We have our eyes on a Privilege 39 up for sale. But until the Fat Lady sings on closing date, it's all just a plan. I'm up for this boat. We've had a Catalina 22 (first boat in 1981), followed by a Polynesian 36' open deck catamaran, then a dogggg of a 36' Buccaneer sailboat. Been boatless since 2002 up here in Fairfax - sailing is nonexistent here.

The logistics of selling all our things, moving the cat (animal), selling the house, giving notice at work, getting myself down to JAX, buying a new boat and finding moorage seems more complex than a NASA launch.

See you around the forum.

Laura
Old 10-06-2008, 19:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The logistics of selling all our things, moving the cat (animal), selling the house, giving notice at work, getting myself down to JAX, buying a new boat and finding moorage seems more complex than a NASA launch.
A big ration of change tends to feel that way.

The pillow case things was more for local house to the boat transport. This cat really knows she is going to the baot and gets a bit testy if not violent. In the pillow case it's an easy trip. For the long car ride you probably have thebetter idea.

Good luck with the check and getting the cat and all the rest of the luggage southern. we sold the house in Mieeapolis and moved near Gloucester Pointe so it was perhaps farther just not as southern. Selling the house was a pain but after a few weeks it seems old history.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. We have a lot of cat people here (boats and animals).
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 19:37   #5

10-4 - over and out - 630 AM comes early
Old 11-06-2008, 11:49   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Laura,
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you'll be really busy the next couple of months. Hope you enjoy the forum and get some great information.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 13:30   #7

Boat: searching
Welcome!
That cat (animal not boat) would be much happier with a new owner so he can go in the back yard and kill critters and bring them in the house. It will be so bored or terrified living aboard, its just not natural. If God had wanted cats (animal not boat) to sail he would have given them boat building abilities, don't ya think. Meanwhile that Privilege 39 sounds great, even though your husband is probably out looking for a 40 year old Wharram, much more economical. I predict a long extend cruise is in your future.

Good luck,
Herbster
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 14:08   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Welcome Laura. I have a daughter named Laura who was born in Fairfax.

Sorry I can't help with advice on moving your cat. I didn't know that cats hold a grudge. Mine just takes a chunk out of me at the time I mess up and then it's over. Course she's a female and part Siamese so that probably explains it. I thought she used to throw up on the bedroom carpet in order to make a point but then I found out it was just a hair ball.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 14:21   #9

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I drove from Florida to Oregon with my cat, to live with my girlfriend, now Wife on her boat. I just let the cat loose in the truck. she was fine. Cats are like people, in that they are not all the same.
We also drove back to FL and took off cruising with the cat. I don't think she really liked it that much. She found places to hide, especially if we started the diesel. She liked running the diesel as much as we did.

One time we were going thru Rudder Cut in the Exumas and the tide was against the current. At one point the boat fell off a wave, and I thought it might have broken in half. We hit so hard. The cat ran up the companionway steps, with eyes as big as basketballs! My Wife grabbed her and I told her to throw her back down, as we had a few more pressing things to worry about!

Once at anchor she jumped off the dink, as she thought she could make it to the boat that was 15 feet away. Wrong. She swan around the boat 2 times before we could get her. We were laughing so hard by the time we got her.
The second time we were in the dink and she must have thought she could swim 100 yards to shore. She dove off and I yelled at her to get back here. She turned around and swam back to the dink, and clawed our arms as we got her back on baoard trying to protect the inflatible.

Take the cat. She will adapt.
A good idea is to keep a towel or something the cat can climb, tied to the boat, hanging over the side, in case the cat falls, or jumps off the boat.

I know quite a few cruisers with cats.
A friend I met after he was motoring into Staniel Cay and got out of the "channel" and hit a coral head. The boat stoppped, but 1 of his cats didn't. She was at the bow and was launched off the boat when it stopped. His wife was more worried about the cat, than the boat.
The shock also pulled an aft shroud turnbuckle apart. I had a spare for him, and we became freinds.

Again, take the cat. Oh yeah, clumping litter is great!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 14:41   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Make sure the cat can get back on board if it accidentally falls off. We lost one cat at anchor. Hang a rope over the side and teach the cat to swim to the rope and get back on board. Cat won't like the dunking but it's better than possibly losing the animal.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 16:36   #11

Folks,

thanks for all the advice and cat stories. I laughed pretty hard on one of the stories, but losing a cat is really sad in the last story.

My husband wants me to give the cat away: "find a new home". I think the cat will adapt. Besides, we'll never have mice on board...for very long.

Cheers mates.