Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2023, 00:17   #1

Hi From Adelaide

Hi guys, we're looking to purchase some kind of cruiser. Currently considering a Beneteau GT41 but have seen some other boats from Sea ray and Princess etc. Lots of cool boats.

The GT41 can support our family of 5 (3 young kids) for mainly day trips, and some overnights.

BUT, we live in Adelaide, and are wondering whether anyone here has experience with this sort of boat and what it can do from Adelaide. We would consider berthing it in Wiring Cove, but am unsure about the new marina and whether you can refuel there or not. That is kind of a deal breaker for us I think.

Can you take a motorboat like this, from Adelaide, and get to say, Melbourne with regular feeling stops, or even Sydney over a number of weeks?

Thanks all - big learning curve for us!
adelaidecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 01:37   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Hi From Adelaide

More investigation needed,start looking maybe at the Fleming 55 the vsls you mention are basically day boats ,or occasional over night ,with enough experience read sea time ,plus unlimited time all things are possible,none of thr mentioned vsls would be suitable for off shore use in the southern ocean , just my opinion.⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 01:46   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

You need a Nordhavn
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 01:54   #4

Thanks a lot guys. Do you know if Wirrina Marina has an in water boat refuelling station?

Is the Beneteau GT41 just a day boat? I don't really know what the differences are when selecting a boat. I guess, just a boat that we can stay in occasionally, but can drive it to places reasonably far away? Along the coast line? I wouldn't want to traverse any major oceans. Maybe as far as KI, or to get across to Pt Lincoln from Adelaide?
Old 20-05-2023, 02:48   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Haven’t been to wirrinna boat harbour for a while ,it’s verry basic ,no toilets or showers no fuel petrol or diesel,may have power and water to some berths,VERRY windy ,mainly gully winds in the summer season ,W WS in the winter ,but half way to K I ,some good cruising in the gulfs and KI summer and winter , I personally believe Nordhavens over rated .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 05:00   #6

Ok. I’m hoping someone who has a boat there knows re fuel. It’s a deal breaker for me. If no fuel then I’m out. Which is a shame.
Old 21-05-2023, 16:44   #7

No refuelling at Wirrina, just checked with management there. There is a pump, but it's not operational. Cape Jervis is my last hope. Anyone know if we can refuel there? I can't work out who to contact to even check!
Old 22-05-2023, 00:57   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L
Hi From Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidecruiser View Post
No refuelling at Wirrina, just checked with management there. There is a pump, but it's not operational. Cape Jervis is my last hope. Anyone know if we can refuel there? I can't work out who to contact to even check!

Do you use Zulu Waterways? It’s got that kind of information and contact info as well.

From the app, contact details for Marina St Vincent are +61 473 881 525 or email info@msvmanagement.com.au.

For CapeJervis, which has a launching ramp, the info comment says “Fuel available from general store 1.4km uphill.” Not suitable for a non-trailerable boat I should think.

There are lots of marinas around Adelaide. Any reason you want to keep the boat at Wirrina?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 01:11   #9

Just where our house is.
Old 22-05-2023, 01:20   #10

That email address gets the management who don't really know either. Tried that already.
Old 16-06-2023, 11:16   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote