Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2024, 09:35   #166
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: Hi From Down Under

“ have bled the fuel lines all the way up to the injector and even took out the injector and squirted some oil in the injector hole to hopefully get some action but still no fire.”

Looks like good work & motor should run - but I’m not 100% sure from above that you actually have fuel coming thru the injector - you’ve cranked the motor with the injector in place but the feedline connected to the injector itself cracked open a turn - and had bubble free fuel coming out of the loose connection?
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 22:46   #167

Boat: Roberts 25

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Today, I removed the injector pump and inspected. Seems to be still ok.

Rechecked the valve clearances and were ok.

Again, bled the fuel lines, as per the manual. First at the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter. No more bubbles there. Then at the return banjo fitting at the injector. Then the exit banjo fitting of the injector pump, and finally at the inlet banjo to the injector. All Bubble free.

I have now a jump starter as well as the 780 CCA 12 volt battery and managed to get it to fire but only on the key.

When I disconnect the starter wire, she dies..

The starter is not turning it over very fast and might be tired. It got too hot to touch and started to smoke after a few minutes of cranking and I can turn the motor over by hand so shouldn't be that hard to turn over.

Still no reason for it to not run on it's own but another problem to spend more money on.

Got a quote of $74.50 to test the starter and more if it needs a service.

Who was it that said a boat is like a stripper.. stop throwing money at them and they stop working..
Old 13-06-2024, 23:31   #168
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregted View Post
I'm not sure how the governor should be set so if anyone can shed some light on that part of the starting procedure, I would be very grateful.
The service manual details the procedure in Chapter 4. it is fairly straightforward.

Quote:
Again, bled the fuel lines, as per the manual. First at the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter. No more bubbles there. Then at the return banjo fitting at the injector. Then the exit banjo fitting of the injector pump, and finally at the inlet banjo to the injector. All Bubble free.
Minor point but there aren't any banjo fittings between the injection pump and the injector so I'm guessing you mean the flare fittings.
Have you checked the injection timing? If not, see chapter 3.

Quote:
I have now a jump starter as well as the 780 CCA 12 volt battery and managed to get it to fire but only on the key.

When I disconnect the starter wire, she dies..
Sounds like it might be a bit low on compression. As you have new rings and valves, it could be a slightly bent conrod - certainly not unheard. Did the piston top rise to the top or just above the top of the liner at TDC when you re-assembled the engine. If not, the rod is bent.

Quote:
The starter is not turning it over very fast and might be tired. It got too hot to touch and started to smoke after a few minutes of cranking and I can turn the motor over by hand so shouldn't be that hard to turn over.
If the starter is spinning at its design speed, the duty is 30 seconds continuous with a 5 or more minute rest to cool down. If it is spinning too slowly, it will heat up much faster and the duty time has to be reduced. It should never get too hot to touch.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 23:59   #169

Hey Wotname.

I re-read the manual and found that chapter and adjusted as instructed.

Correct. There are no banjo fittings between the injector pump and injector. My mistake. I put that in just to check if anyone was paying attention.

Didn't notice the conrod being bent but didn't really look either. Certainly possible I suppose as I had to really crank on the motor to free it up. I may take the head off another day and check if all else fails.

The motor has fired with the 780 CCA battery and the jump starter but will not run when I release the starter.
Old 14-06-2024, 02:18   #170
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
The motor has fired with the 780 CCA battery and the jump starter but will not run when I release the starter.
Only two possibilities

1. Not enough fuel
2. Not enough heat.

I suspect #2. Given the ambient temperature of your location, I suspect the low heat is due to low compression. I could be wrong, it may be #1.

Assuming the fuel timing is correct!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 17:57   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Only two possibilities

1. Not enough fuel
2. Not enough heat.

I suspect #2. Given the ambient temperature of your location, I suspect the low heat is due to low compression. I could be wrong, it may be #1.

Assuming the fuel timing is correct!

I thought that myself.

This single cylinder diesel should have the most basic requirements.

Fuel and compression. AKA heat. AKA Fire piston.

I did have a heat gun on low running into the inlet but still will not run off the starter so looks like a fuel issue.

The manual calls for the injector pump to be disassembled by removing the plunger guide stopper but I can't see any way to get a hold of that pin, so I can't strip that pump down any further than removing the upper parts.

The plunger in the base seems to be free enough and it compresses when I turn the motor over with the side cover removed.

There is fuel coming out the injector pump when turning over but maybe not enough.

The fuel injection timing is adjusted by inserting shims between the pump and body. My pump just has one metal gasket ( Shim?) in situ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Injector pump parts.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	290958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel injection timing.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	290959  

Old 14-06-2024, 19:12   #172
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I would pull the injector out & connect it up to see if its spraying.
If you put a little oil in it whilst cranking & it still didnt fire I would suspect no fuel. The other thing to make sure is that you didnt bend a pushrod.
Its easy to do if you put a little too much oil in intake whilst cranking.
Let us know if injector is spraying when out.
Reading posts a bit more makes me suspect low compression too but if you have no access to a diesel compression tester best to check injector first
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote