Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 14:37   #1

Boat: Herreshoff 40'timber schooner
Hi from Papua New Guinea

Hi all, I am working in Madang in PNG for the next few few years and have been resurrecting the "Walter Mitty" a 40' Herresoff timber schooner, which turned into more of a mission than I initially thought. However after 2 days sea trials and flying upwind we are getting closer. Anyone passing Madang please call in . Cheers Andrew
Andrew M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 18:07   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi Andrew,
Welcome aboard

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 18:48   #3

Boat: Boro
PNG

A pity you didnt say hi earlier - I am on a business trip to PNG next week. Had the option of extending and doing a bit of a tour, but couldnt really track down any reliable contact for in country information (the internet seems a bit lacking) so kept the trip short. May be back though.

How do you find PNG in general - I tried to track down accom, boat hire, scuba hire from Australia using the net, and without going to one of the well known resorts couldnt seem to find much info.
billwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 21:12   #4
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Hi all, I am working in Madang in PNG for the next few few years and have been resurrecting the "Walter Mitty" a 40' Herresoff timber schooner, which turned into more of a mission than I initially thought. However after 2 days sea trials and flying upwind we are getting closer. Anyone passing Madang please call in . Cheers Andrew
Hey Andrew
Are you planning on being in that general part of the world in about April?
Or for that matter anywhere in the south pacific?
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 22:37   #5

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
An old wooden Herresoff named Walter Mitty? Dripping in film noir romantic adventure. Good luck with you new job and mistress. Fill in some detail of the story for us. Welcome to the finest cruising site on the planet. Pics please.

Old 05-01-2011, 23:24   #6
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Oh wow! What a beautiful boat, I have such tremendous respect for people that get boats like that one sailing again, back doing water sailing">blue water sailing where a boat like that should be.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 16:08   #7

Hi Again, I plan to be in PNG for the next 2 years at least . I am an Australian building construction manager and have been contracted for the building of a new hotel in Madang. ( Been a fine job so far having been here for almost 3 years and not turned a sod of soil as yet ) The country of PNG itself is splendid with excellent diving, walking etc, Some issues with security but if you remain aware nothing too drastic, touch wood.
Walter is a herreshoff design built in Bunbury in WA in 1970s, and was seized by customs for running guns to PNG and drugs to Australia, subsequently Auctioned and sat at a swing mooring for the last 8 years till I got hold of it, Do you call a boat called Walter a her or a him, because "it" just doesnt sound right.
I should be in PNG in April but will go south for a few weeks in May
Cheers
Andrew
Old 08-01-2011, 16:59   #8

Location: Eketahuna, NZ is home but live and work in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Boat: Catamaran, Simpson , 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Currikee
Hi Andrew, I am in Alotau and been here since July. This is my 4th Tour of Duty and for some reason we just seem to keep coming back. Looks like I may be here for a number of years as the kids are now in boarding school down south and much better for the company to pay eh!

One of our longer term "dim dims" here has built a 30' wooden Couta Boat - he is a carpenter turned doctor and man it is a beautiful job. It is my turn to build one now, so that should be lots of fun. Well we have access to the timber so why not give it a go!

My own boat a 38' Roberts Offshore is being worked on at the moment in Gladstone and then I plan on bringing her up here as a hull and doing the fitout locally.

Give me a shout if ever you are coming over this way! Milne Bay is truly a beautiful part of the world and apart from a gang that is trying to kidnap me at the moment typically a very safe place - (I am the GM of the biggest business company in Milne Bay and my security caught some escaped criminals and handed to police who promptly "accidently" let them escape. So the kidnapping threats are some sort of payback.)

But as they say "Welcome to PNG!"

Callum
Currikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:07   #9

Location: Eketahuna, NZ is home but live and work in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwa View Post
A pity you didnt say hi earlier - I am on a business trip to PNG next week. Had the option of extending and doing a bit of a tour, but couldnt really track down any reliable contact for in country information (the internet seems a bit lacking) so kept the trip short. May be back though.

How do you find PNG in general - I tried to track down accom, boat hire, scuba hire from Australia using the net, and without going to one of the well known resorts couldnt seem to find much info.
Hi ya, give me a shout if ever you want any info about PNG. Done over six years now and been to most parts of the country. Currently we live in Milne Bay; a truly spectacular part of the world...
Callum
Old 08-01-2011, 18:32   #10

Hi Again,
I worked and lived with my wife Jade for 6-7 months in Alotau and had a fat time. I recall the doc / carpenter but his name escapes me at the moment, and seem to remember his boat in a shed. We used to dive on a sunday with Tas, Rod Clark, Renga etc after running hash on a Saturday. Please say hello if any are still there. I thought Alotau was one of the safest places in PNG but times change I guess. Still I have just done 6 months in Lae living behind Razor wire and have 2 more weeks to go.
I had plans to visit Milne bay on the Xmas break just gone....But didnt get Walter finished in time, maybe next year.
Cheers
Andrew
Old 08-01-2011, 19:03   #11

Gidday Andrew. The guy is Dr Barry Kirby and he now has his boat at Nawae where he lives in the compound there. Tas, Rengga and co are all still here, though no one is running Hash. Probably all too old and fat now! Rod and Serah are the managers of Tawali Dive Resort which I believe is a recent thing.

If you ever need any crew to take Walter for a sail anywhere please let me know. I have a number of mates in POM from when we lived there and we all love any excuse to get away and do something adventurous...

My cell number is 71000 900 if you are ever passing.
Callum
Old 08-01-2011, 21:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Long ago in a far away land...

Too long a ago I built a 6.5m plywood Van de Stadt under a house in Passam, just south of Wewak.

Everythings probably all changed now, but it did keep me (mostly) off the grog for a year.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:21   #13

Boat: Oceanis 411
Glad you guys posted...
In the years ahead I'm keen to get my Benny up your way.
Madang and New Britain really catch my interest.
I'm assuming that part of the country is still quite OK ?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 351, 35 ft
Hey Andrew!
Adam Wible and Ian McHenry here, aboard the Air Gadis. Should be in your neck of the woods come June or so, as we make our way east along the top of PNG from Indonesia. Will try to send you a message closer to then - or look out for a bright yellow Beneteau with two guys pretending like they know what they're doing! Always willing to trade beer for local knowledge. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2011, 13:54   #15

Boracay, I wish I could find something to keep me off the grog.
A guy on a cat pulled into Madang about 4 months ago after sailing down from Indo, but was robbed whilst anchored for the night , He was between Weewak and Madang and lost K $20 odd worth of gear and some cuts and bruises. Other than that it is reasonably safe, Another Yacht was seized and forfeited Bouganville way after a small quantity of marijuana on board. Adan / Ian, a good read. There is a surf break close to Madang, Ooligban Bay, which has good reports and was working the 2 times I have driven there to watch and drink beer. Also some excellent diving.
Cheers
Andrew