Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 05:33   #1

Hi from Tony and Sue.

Hi, we are husband and wife team Tony and Sue (Tony at the keyboard) and we are looking to take up sailing. We live near Wrexham in North Wales in the UK. I am retired Sue has a little job so, we have time available to learn and do. We have never sailed so, absolute beginners describes us best although, i did used to fly a light aircraft so, do have some idea of navigation. We have come here to learn from the collective wisdom of the forum and, i'm sure we will. Cheers all
TonynSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 05:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Hi from Tony and Sue.

Welcome to the forum, Tony and Sue. How do you plan to pursue sailing?

There are several former (me) or current fliers on the forum. Yes, you will find that navigation, theory of sailing, radio use, and weather are all quite familir. Diesel engines, on the other hand, are rarely mounted on airplanes.
Old 18-06-2020, 06:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome to the forum, Tony and Sue. How do you plan to pursue sailing?

There are several former (me) or current fliers on the forum. Yes, you will find that navigation, theory of sailing, radio use, and weather are all quite familir. Diesel engines, on the other hand, are rarely mounted on airplanes.

Hi and thank's for the welcome. We are at a very early stage and see ourselves getting tuition from the RYA in the UK. We intend to get our Day Skippers certificate and go from there. We have bought, Sailing for Dummies which we are enjoying reading Tbh. we have been watching a lot of youtube vlogs on sailing including amongst others, Sailing SV Delos and Sailing Fair Isle which has really stirred our interest and lead us to deciding we want to give it a try. As an ex truck mechanic Diesel engines are no mystery to me and in fact i can repair most things. I am also a licensed Radio Ham which has given me a grounding in electronics so, i do have many skills to bring to the table; on the other hand, i have no sailing skills so that's where i need the help and advice as they would be useful on a boat i'd guess
Old 18-06-2020, 06:40   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Welcome to CF from a soggy Gosport this afternoon.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 07:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Welcome to CF from a soggy Gosport this afternoon.

Pete

Thank's Pete.

Very soggy up here in North Wales too.

Tony
Old 18-06-2020, 08:25   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome Tony and Sue

When I started I read everything I could get my hands on. That way I at least had the vocabulary and knew what the pointy end of the boat was called. It's all pretty simple, each step will lead you to the next: books, lessons, sailing, fun.

Enjoy the process, look forward to hearing more of your adventures!
Old 18-06-2020, 09:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Welcome Tony and Sue

When I started I read everything I could get my hands on. That way I at least had the vocabulary and knew what the pointy end of the boat was called. It's all pretty simple, each step will lead you to the next: books, lessons, sailing, fun.

Enjoy the process, look forward to hearing more of your adventures!

Hi and thank's for the welcome.

Sue and i are doing just that tbh. It's typical of me once i start getting into something i read all i can get my hands on. Unfortunately, at 72 (a very fit 72 may i add) i'm not at my peak of learning so it takes more to get it to soak in than it would at one time. It's surprising to me that Sue, who isn't at all technical and doesn't normally read non fiction books has taken up the book, Sailing for Dummies (she ordered it off Amazon without my knowledge) and is really enjoying reading it which to me, is brilliant. It's odd where all this has come from ie. watching hour upon hour of sailing vlogs which have served not only to entertain but inspire us.
Being a motorcyclist of more years than i care to think about and having toured Europe, North Africa, North America including Alaska and Canada on my own bike some with Sue, some with friends. I like adventure and sailing is something i have never done; i'd like to set about changing that and see where it leads
Old 18-06-2020, 12:30   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi guys!

Now that summer is almost here, you are into the best moment to do a lot of practice in a short time. Grab this opportunity and make sure every sunny day is spent under sails!

I am sure you will enjoy the forum.

Cheers,

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 12:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi guys!

Now that summer is almost here, you are into the best moment to do a lot of practice in a short time. Grab this opportunity and make sure every sunny day is spent under sails!

I am sure you will enjoy the forum.

Cheers,

barnakiel

Cheers Barnakiel your comments are appreciated trouble is, we in Wales in the UK are still in lockdown with no sign of it easing for a long while yet so, the opportunities of the summer months are slipping by. We can fill the time by reading, learning and making plans though which, is no bad thing
Old 18-06-2020, 14:16   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonynSue View Post
Cheers Barnakiel your comments are appreciated trouble is, we in Wales in the UK are still in lockdown with no sign of it easing for a long while yet so, the opportunities of the summer months are slipping by. We can fill the time by reading, learning and making plans though which, is no bad thing

Guys!

There is a huge amount of things to do while waiting for the lockdown to be lifted.

Where we are, we can sail as much as we please now BUT we too went thru 50 days of complete lockdown (in a boat with an 8x3 ft cabin!). I hope your apartment or home is a bit more roomy then!

I had a quick look at your area and I believe it is very tidal where you are. And tides and TIDAL CURRENTS play such a big role in sailing in these areas. Study your tides, get to understand how these will guide your sailings. For they will.

Then think of all the small things that count: knots (few, but well learned), nautical words, (sheets are not sheets anymore ...), first emergency aid, weather basics ...

Since one of you is already into navigation, try to grasp the basic differences and similarities between aerial and nautical navigation techniques, terms and tricks.

Immerse yourselves into the many modes of sailing on youtube - there is racing and cruising and tall ships and charter fleets and then just messing around in small boats - you will be amazed to discover the inspiration, education and fun exploring the visual side of it.

Your possibilities are COUNTLESS. Too much time is never a problem for one who dreams, learns and is getting ready.

You will see the bans and limitations lifted sooner than you think. All the continent does. Be safe, and as soon as you can drive to the nearest boat club - go fo it!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 14:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Guys!

There is a huge amount of things to do while waiting for the lockdown to be lifted.

Where we are, we can sail as much as we please now BUT we too went thru 50 days of complete lockdown (in a boat with an 8x3 ft cabin!). I hope your apartment or home is a bit more roomy then!

I had a quick look at your area and I believe it is very tidal where you are. And tides and TIDAL CURRENTS play such a big role in sailing in these areas. Study your tides, get to understand how these will guide your sailings. For they will.

Then think of all the small things that count: knots (few, but well learned), nautical words, (sheets are not sheets anymore ...), first emergency aid, weather basics ...

Since one of you is already into navigation, try to grasp the basic differences and similarities between aerial and nautical navigation techniques, terms and tricks.

Immerse yourselves into the many modes of sailing on youtube - there is racing and cruising and tall ships and charter fleets and then just messing around in small boats - you will be amazed to discover the inspiration, education and fun exploring the visual side of it.

Your possibilities are COUNTLESS. Too much time is never a problem for one who dreams, learns and is getting ready.

You will see the bans and limitations lifted sooner than you think. All the continent does. Be safe, and as soon as you can drive to the nearest boat club - go fo it!

barnakiel

Inspirational words indeed barnakiel and thank's for them.
So much to learn but for me it's a joy to learn new things and i relish it.
Yes, the lockdown is slowly easing and yes, our Cottage is very comfortable and with the land we have and location we don't have a problem other than the restaurants and pubs are closed but, never mind. We are lucky in that we have, a very short distance from us, a few boat clubs and when they open up, we will be visiting them. Cheers