Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2009, 22:21   #1

Wink Hi new to the forums : )

Hi guys & gals, my name is Michael i am 14 turning 15 in July and i am new too sailing. I found the forums the other night searching for Robin Graham and i thought this would be a really good place too come and learn about sailing and all of the experiences people have had with it. I have family history that all orients around sailing and i currently own an 8ft walker without the sail conversion kit : ( that i have had since i was 11. And my goal right now is too learn as much about sailing as possible in the next year because i love the water and i love sailing. My dream lol is to become the third teenager too circumnavigate the world i don't have too become the youngest or even try for it i just want too explore the world for myself alone from the people i know soo that i can learn independence, and no im not just typical teen trying too get away from my parents i am trying too get away from life i don't like all of civilization i want too see the world as god made it. I was really suprised too hear my parents aprove of the idea my dad has been trying too buy a boat for himself forever but we have not had the money so i know that i cannot ask for them too buy the boat and i don't plan too i hope too find a boat that is affordable but reliable soo if anyone knows of a 33 foot cruiser that is between 6 and 30 thousand please tell me because i want too head out as soon as i obtain my license next week i am going down too camp pendalton marine base for looking into sailing lesson's : ). soo other than for all of that i am a christian im 14 i love the water and i am looking for any knowledge, advice, and help i can obtian here : ).
dove111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 00:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Michael and welcome to Cruisers Forum. It's great that you are young and have found a passion in your independence and in sailing. It's hard to hear but you should think about the long term future.

Make sure you get your education - not so you can get locked into a desk job but so you can have a lot of options in your life.

A 33 foot boat is quite a handful. There are people cruising on much smaller boats. It sounds like you are in the southwest and with the right boat you could have lots of sailing adventures from there.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 18:04   #3

ya actually im in cali once again, iv lived all over lol (California,Maine,Mississippi,Florida,Alabama) lol so i have lots of experience with rough waters : ). Just not alone soo far.
Old 18-05-2009, 20:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Mike I didn't realize you were so young (from your other posts) I changed my mind. Get a sunfish
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 22:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Mike I didn't realize you were so young (from your other posts) I changed my mind. Get a sunfish
ha ha very funny my walker is longer than those things lol.
Old 18-05-2009, 23:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
wate change my mind the walker is substantially smaller, but ya i can handle a boat at that size quite well lol.
Old 18-05-2009, 23:33   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Several of the boys here around your age have gotten into the adrenalin rush of catamarans. Viper 16, Twincat 15 etc.

I know you have a plan to go cruising now but if you have a need for speed the cat is a great step from your dinghy sailing. Another thought is Lasers but you are bit late to start and get competitive on those. Our Laser sailors generally jump out of Optis around 12 and into lasers. By 15 they are wanting spinnakers and trapezes...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 02:51   #8

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Several of the boys here around your age have gotten into the adrenalin rush of catamarans. Viper 16, Twincat 15 etc.

I know you have a plan to go cruising now but if you have a need for speed the cat is a great step from your dinghy sailing. Another thought is Lasers but you are bit late to start and get competitive on those. Our Laser sailors generally jump out of Optis around 12 and into lasers. By 15 they are wanting spinnakers and trapezes...
well im not really into going faster iv had enough experience with that ( i was able too buy my own snowmobile at 11 and it had about 75mph on it and i learned too fly at 11 as well in a Cessna) soo i am not into anything for the rush of it i just want too explore da world and meet new people and quite frankly im tired of america cuz everything is taken foor granted here and i was raised in maine for alot of my early life and you still have too work too live lol we had no heater soo i learned if i did not hual wood i did not stay warm at night and it gets annoying when i hear daily of friends having there parents just go out and buy them cars lol my parents have tought me that they are there for me if i need them not if i just want something i have learned that it is best too work for something in life if you want it because only if you are willing to take the time and work for that goal do you really deserve it : ) soo im not looking for adreanaline im just looking for something too enjoy.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dove,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I like your attitude and hope you can fulfill your dreams.
I wish I had had your focus at your age.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote