Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 07:06   #1

Hi, newbie here and I am wondering where to post?

Hi - I am new to boating and am considering a 24ft motorboat to primarily use on Windermere. I am 50:50 on whether to Moore at a marina, swing Moore or tow - I have done hours of research online and although a marina (c.£3.5k p.a) makes most sense the cost seems excessive as we may only use it 5-10 times a year which realistically seems to leave swing mooring & towing.

Towing - seems that it will be the most cost effective route (lower fees, maintenance, insurance etc ) but will take more commitment and planning. Luckily we could store at home (90 mins away) or dry store 15 miles from the lake for £50 per month.

Swing mooring (less than £1k pa) - this quite interesting. Seems to be relatively cheap but I'm struggling with the concept. What are the risks? I have read / hear horror stories about the boats coming loose, being driven into etc....

Appreciate there are a few points here but didn't want to multiple list.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Markos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 07:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Hi, newbie here and I am wondering where to post?

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

I think you have already figured out the relative costs and benefits pretty well. I have done all three.

Dock. Costs more but sure is convenient. Walk down to the boat, load refreshments, crank up and drive away. Makes it really easy to go out for a short hop if you like and you might end up using the boat a bit more if it is easier to do. There are risks since the boat is afloat. A leak can sink a boat at a dock (actually one of the most common locations for sinking) just as easily as on the water. High winds you can bash against the dock or neighboring boats.

Tow. Keeps the boat at home so safe and easy to keep an eye on it. Plus repairs and maintenance are cheaper since you can tow to a mechanic or easy to DIY at home. Once you get the routine down it's pretty quick and easy. I can have my 20' launched and the trailer parked in less than 5 minutes from arrival at the ramp. Which is another point. Make sure there are ramps where you want to boat. Are they always accessible or can the water get low and keep you out?

Mooring (as it is called in the US. Over there not sure of the name but the boat is attached to a permanent anchoring system.) Boat is afloat like at a dock so similar concerns about leaks. Also need to watch the mooring gear, lines, etc. The part underwater should be inspected at least yearly for corrosion, wear etc. The pendant from the mooring ball to the boat needs to protected from chafe. Have to figure how you get from shore to boat. Does the local marina have a shuttle service? Do you have to bring your own dinghy?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 09:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hi, newbie here and I am wondering where to post?

Hi Mark.. Welcome to CF.
If you have the space at home I'd opt for towing if you've good launch facilities to use..
Plus points are many.. savings on berth/mooring.. no need to antifoul as she'll not be in water all the time.. easy to maintain in the drive/whatever where you have easy access to power, tools etc.. no need to pack up the car with stuff then have to drive back after a couple of hours because you forgot something..
And more importantly you can widen your cruising grounds should you wish further down the line.. how long does it take to hitch up a trailer and you can load up the boat the evening before you leave so its launch/park/GO...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 09:59   #4

Thank you both for responding, do you have experience of towing in the uk. The boat I have seen is a Maxum 2400se - from what I have read it seems to be about the largest you can tow without issue and they seem to do okay in the reviews!

Old 24-06-2014, 10:04   #5
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Go with the trailer if you have the room to park it, and a vehicle to tow it with. Costs, working on the boat, peace of mind, etc etc.

You will have some additional insurance and probably licensing costs, but it's well worth it compared to the maintenance and costs of keeping a boat remote from your own location.

And if you need an excuse, a Defender 90 will tow just about anything. I have some experience with this setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110407_94a.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	83684  
Old 24-06-2014, 10:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos4 View Post
Thank you both for responding, do you have experience of towing in the uk. The boat I have seen is a Maxum 2400se - from what I have read it seems to be about the largest you can tow without issue and they seem to do okay in the reviews!

Sorry can't help you with UK towing issues. I have towed up to a 25' with twin V8 engines with a full size pickup. That was about the max I could handle with that truck.

Certainly having the right tow vehicle will be a big part of this. If you have to buy the truck that will kind of eat up any savings you realize from towing instead of paying for a berth.

Didn't think about the antifoul issue. That's another big plus for towing. And the option for towing to other locations. With a tow you have the whole island available.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 10:28   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

The wonderful thing about having your boat at home is that you can do projects so easily! Otherwise, you have to pack up all your tools, drive to the boat... Also, it means that you can pack up everything once. Pack the cooler, place it in the boat and take off down the road.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 10:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hi, newbie here and I am wondering where to post?

Used to tow a Tiki 21 cat all round the UK S coast with a Ford camper..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 11:01   #9

Well I will need a new car, and looking at the uk tow ratings the vw touareg seems to fit the bill!

Old 28-06-2014, 08:55   #10

So I went to see a maxum 2400 se and it's great. It's in the water so I couldn't get an accurate size - dies anyone know how much width I will need to store it? It's 2.5m wide, will the trailer be wider than the boat?

Old 28-06-2014, 09:03   #11

If you have the tow vehicle, once you get the routine down it's not bad. The other option (if available in your area) is to put the boat in a slip for the spring/summer and let it sit at home on the trailer in t he winter.... best of both worlds. Dry moorage where they launch for you is great I hear.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 18:29   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!