Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 01:45   #1

Boat: Lancer 30'
Hola from Channel Islands. CA

Hello everyone, I've been searching and reading on this site for the last couple of months and finally decided to participate.. duh. I grew up in the midwest on a small lake running around in small powerboats and I recall this one summer when I was about 12 or 13 and this one particular girl (I had been dreaming of) asked me to sail with her every Sunday during the season in the local yacht club races, I wish I could remember what kind of boat it was, I mean her name, but I had my mind and eyes elsewhere. Well from that summer on the dream was set in stone and I knew someday... My someday came it late 02 when I moved to the west coast. I'm still in my first "Real" sailboat and getting close to taking the next step up. She was purchased in what I would call good condition, since she has received a complete sanding and makeover down below, installed new cabin windows and spent several beautiful days making her shine again. The desire within to "Sail Away" someday soon is growing everyday. I believe at this point I will become a coastal cruiser setting sail to The Sea of Cortez for a couple of years, then take another year or so to get in and out of those beautiful islets off the coast of Costa Rica. I would like to go thru the canal and from there who nows the Mediterrean for sure. But for now I keep on trying to hone those skills for the voyage and beyond. Beatiful here in the Channel Islands Harbor and we have great day sails to the islands of Channel Islands National Park and great to anchor in one of secluded coves for a couple of days and do some kayaking. Just about ready to try the sail down to Catalina Island for a few days and back.

Sailing Away,
Ken
Old 27-05-2007, 08:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome to the Cruiser's Forum Ken. And, welcome to CI Harbor. Don't know where you have your Lancer stashed, but for now, we are harbor neighbors. Next weekend I move over to Ventura. Please feel free to contribute what you've learned. Also, there is a real nice thread about "Your sail today" where I'm sure you might enjoy telling us a trip or two out to Santa Cruz Island or San Miguel !
Start of thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oday-3104.html
Last Page of thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-3104-9.html

Good luck and enjoy!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 11:09   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ken,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. Always informative.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2007, 12:20   #4

Boat: Lancer 30'
Hello Elusive,

I have a slip at Peninsula Yacht Marina, right in front of the Lobster Trap restaurant or in other words the docks on the end of the peninsula. When I bought Slomo she was at Ventura. I live over in C.I. and given my lack of experience at the time I did not like getting in and out of Ventura so I moved her over here to be closer. Do you belong to any of the local yacht clubs? Maybe I could buy you a beer someday..

Ken
Old 27-05-2007, 13:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I have recips at all four of the legitimate YCs in CIH. But, I'm not long for this harbor (they are tearing apart our docks, and it is sort of a ketch as ketch can) - I've got a liveaboard slip in Ventura, so that is where I'm going. But, if you can make it over to the North / West side of the harbor - CIYC is a good spot.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote