Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2008, 09:47   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Howdy

New also to this Board

Purchased our Irwin Last year and Spent 10 months on the hard repairing running out of money.. and paying off the bills..been in the water for a couple months now and finally got sails hanked on a couple weeks ago and we have gone out for two sails.

First sail was perfect with 10 to 12 for my all girl crews 1st sail ever in their life...I sort of screwed the pooh the second outing taking them out in our Small craft warnings a couple weeks ago that unknowing to me got up-ed to full gale warnings...so on there second sail ever they were out in max gusts of 47 kts...

Sort of put a damper on Moms excitement level about sailing now...

The two of my three girls that were aboard and a dear close friend of mine who was also an origional partner in my first sailboat right out of high school also had a great time as did the dog and I.

Nothing broke..so my new head-stay passed the test..nice to get that out of the way I guess anyway.

Any how... Hope to learn from you all and heres a picture of the crew on their first sail ever.
Mom wasent quite so chipper looking the second time out....

Current interest...Getting the boat qualified for this years Swiftsure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0257.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	5557  
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 09:53   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
YEP, You don't want to leave mom behind. That's one of the finest looking crew I have seen. You better promise her to pay better attention to weather, and start all over. Foot massage, soft music, wine, chocolates.....come on be a man!......BEG!

Welcome, and BEST WISHES in getting your lady back out on the boat. I think already you have learned a valuable lesson.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 10:50   #3

The northwest is so great. Just get your boat work done this winter and spend a lot of time on the boat (instead of boatwork) next summer. Especially in BC.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 13:36   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Stillraining. Welcome to the Forum!

Congrats on getting your boat on the water! Ten months of hard work and now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor. A good feeling, eh?

But, yikes! 47 knots would make just about anybody think twice about being out on the water! Let the Admiral pick the next sailing day, and you might get back in her good graces.
Old 20-10-2008, 15:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2f
You better promise her to pay better attention to weather, and start all over. Foot massage, soft music, wine, chocolates.....come on be a man!......BEG!
LOL..ya...I guess that might get me a "your forgiven" out of her... but not sure about much more...She says she will go out again..just sees no need in purposely sailing in Gales or small craft warnings for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud3
But, yikes! 47 knots would make just about anybody think twice about being out on the water!
Ya...I have to agree for the uninitiated or less then confidant type personalities but I was ready to go out again the next weekend in the next one and do it all over again...but couldn't put togather any crew.( my daughters were game though... )
Summers are nice here but not very windy..Sailing is just getting going now in my opinion.

We have had small craft or gale warnings up the last 3 week ends in a row...but I dont own my weekends any more..All three of the girls play soccer and involved in other activities as well so mom and I are usually at different places at the same time..but we only have e'm for a short season in our lives right?..so I'm not complaining.

So How many PNW'ers do you have on-board here?

I will look for a PNW forum or maybe we could start one?

Thanks for the welcome anyway everybody
Old 20-10-2008, 16:43   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome to the forum and great looking crew.

What do you call all those long sleeve garments with fur collars? Brrrrr.....

28c and sunny (again ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 23:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Welcome to the forum and great looking crew.

What do you call all those long sleeve garments with fur collars? Brrrrr.....

28c and sunny (again ;-)

Thanks.............disrespectful dates.....
Old 21-10-2008, 10:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Wazzup Scott? Yeah, I'm up here as well. I hope ya have a couple of 12 gauges by the door for those girls.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 11:02   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Welcome aboard Charlie. I am out in the Middle East in the Winter but back in the PNW in the summer. This could be the last year. Boat moored in Victoria, BC. Great cruising area.
Old 21-10-2008, 11:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Wazzup Scott? Yeah, I'm up here as well. I hope ya have a couple of 12 gauges by the door for those girls.

COOL!!!........

10-4 on the cleaning the gun on the kitchen table department...just about my favorite c/w song right now....
Old 21-10-2008, 13:27   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Still,
I grew up in Oregon so know a little about the PNW but have only done sailing from the entrance of the straits to Seattle and to Bremerton a few times. I'd certainly like to do more up there but please not in small craft warnings or gales. Best to pick your weather window in all sailing that you do.
Congratulations on getting the boat sailing and best of luck to you.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 14:16   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
SkiprJohn, He's of the same mind I am on sailing in Gales or SCA's. If ya plan to go bluewater, ya best get some heavy weather experience before ya go. Of course, up here, SCA's have a nasty habit of turning into Full Gales or even Force 10-12 Storms without warning. However, being in somewhat protected waters, we don't have to deal with ocean swells, just the winds, currents and wind waves. That makes it a bit safer. Neither one of us would sail out of the strait into the Pacific in a Gale, at least I hope not.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 16:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
SkiprJohn, He's of the same mind I am on sailing in Gales or SCA's. If ya plan to go bluewater, ya best get some heavy weather experience before ya go. Of course, up here, SCA's have a nasty habit of turning into Full Gales or even Force 10-12 Storms without warning. However, being in somewhat protected waters, we don't have to deal with ocean swells, just the winds, currents and wind waves. That makes it a bit safer. Neither one of us would sail out of the strait into the Pacific in a Gale, at least I hope not.

Thats another BIG 10-4..Charlie

Thanks John..

This is the misconception that moat sailors dont realize about the Puget Sound. It is impossible to compare what we sail in to the open fetches of true coastal waters say like San Francisco for instance...when they get a 40 knt blow you had better have your act togather if your out the gate and in the ocean swell...same here if you were to venture out the straight.

But inland we really have very small fetches to worry about we can get 8' to 10' wind waves and Charlie has seen bigger in the straight that I have yet to be initiated into the club with ...but for most part , sub 5' is the norm even in a full gale around my immediate area...That day we were out we only had 3' ...maybe.. an occasional 4 footer but I guarantee you no more and our local transmitter clocked 47 knots and we were out there..most of the crew having a good time and in my case having a BLAST...really, honestly having a blast...

Wind is not what gets you at sea its the waves that get you..after all we tie all manner of crap on top of our cars and drive down the freeway at 70+ right...well if it weren't for the waves 70+ wouldn't scare me on the water either...All we had up towards the end was a 80 square foot patch of head sail rolled out... and we were in almost total control...I say almost as with just that we didnt have enough drive from mid ship to tack so we had to gybe and in the narrow bay we were in didnt have enough room to gain much headway before having to jibe again basicly loosing allot of what we gained but running off on a deap reach was a very pleasant and enjoyable ride...If we would have had room I would have wanted more wind just to play in.. ...Remember... I had no boom swinging around to worry about.

The only thing I was nervous about was parting the roller furler line ..if that would have happened we could have gotten in a little trouble..thats why I have on order right now a stay sail set up..as the mast and deck hardware is already there ...then I can completely furl the head sail and not worrie about that.....well.... I have heard they can still blow out on you but personally...ours got rolled up so dang tight I literally had to put a half dozen more wraps on the drum just to get it all furled properly once back at the dock... so I dont see anything less then hurricane force winds ripping it open like people say if furled good and tight and then another 3 or 4 turns of the sheets around it to boot.

Any how you just have to sail here to understand it I guess...Charlie and I are not daredevils....just not sacrdy cats either...

I will be going out when I have the day to go out... not when the weather cooperates...finding willing crew availibal looks to be the challenge at this point... Your all welcome most any time.
Old 21-10-2008, 20:40   #14

Boat: Irwin sloop
Welcome aboard Stillraining. The boat and crew look great including the pooch and the background sure looks familiar. Thatcher Pass and Blakely Island?

Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 21:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Welcome aboard Stillraining. The boat and crew look great including the pooch and the background sure looks familiar. Thatcher Pass and Blakely Island?

Jesse
Thanks Jesse:

Your a little to far north west

We are just north of the south exit of Swinowmish channel...thats Hope Island your looking at.