Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 07:47   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Howdy

I too am new and infact i am looking for all the help I can get...I have had my boat for about two years and now its time to really use it to the extent I intended...I am looking for information on what is need to go crusing south...I am located in New Bern, NC and want to take it to the Keys and maybe beyond...I mainly am looking for what is really needed to have on board in the way of equiment.....help please
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 08:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Howdy

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hank.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Howdy

Hi Hank... Welcome to CF..
Mate... if you take your boat out into the Sound for a day or a weekend sail... and enjoy it... you've all you need to get to the Keys.
Apart from.. maybe.. the charts..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:26   #4

Yes. Go out cruising locally if you havent already. You'll discover what you need. The big ones of course are, a dingy scheme (it's your car!), replacing electricity used (refrigeration makes this more complicated), anchoring scheme (what works, what doesnt). Using your boat will help you figure this out. What you need is very relevant to your cruising style....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Hank and welcome to the forum.

Complex question that can be answered a number of ways. On an absolute basis the only thing that is really needed is a boat that floats and a way to make it go. Back in the olden days ships had only sails, no motor, very limited navigation instruments, poor or no charts, etc and they managed to get around. Of course a lot of them didn't return home either.

So start with the most basic: a boat in good repair with sails and motor in workable condition. A few basic instruments like fathometer and knot meter.

Next charts and/or GPS chart plotter. You may see a lot of argument about this. Are paper charts obsolete, can you use only electronic charts, paper for backup only? I prefer using GPS but keep paper charts for backup. I would also add a good guide book for the area you plan to cruise. Waterway Guide and Skipper Bob's books for the ICW. Explorer charts and a guidebook for the Bahamas etc.

Next tools and such. So good set of tools for doing engine and boat repair (several long discussions on the forum on what tools to take). Binoculars, hand held GPS backup are a couple other items that come to mind.

Boat in good condition I assume you already know but just to mention a couple of things to check:

Bilge pumps. I like three. A small one that keeps the small drips out. A large one for emergencies, and a large manual for even more emergency.

Seacocks. Check them all. Make sure all through hulls have them, even those just above the water line since they will be submerged when you're heeled over.

Rigging. Check all the fittings and wires. Call a rigger if you don't feel confident to do this yourself.

Fuel tanks. How long since they have been inspected or cleaned? Got any grunge floating around inside?

Power. Got enough battery capacity? Got ways to keep them charged? If you plan to anchor a lot have solar or wind to keep from running your engine a few hours each day?

That's what occurs to me off the top of my head. On the way to my boat shortly and will look at my list(s).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 09:37   #6

Fueltanks. How long since they have been inspected or cleaned? Got any grunge floating around inside?
This is a big one... many people make their boat seemingly perfect, get ready to go and get out in ocean waves.... suddenly the engine filters clog up.... If they are old, they have junk in them...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 10:08   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Welcome, I wouldn't leave home without my VHF radio, charts, GPS, electronic navigation equipment, depth sounder (very important for ICW), and Sirius/XM weather.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:32   #8

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Yes I am reading a few books but my boat is equipt with a new 541s plotter and i have 200% back up..a VHF but planning on upgrading to one that has a distress wired to gps..50 gal water...15 gal holding...20 gal fuel...sails include 90,125 and 150 head..extra main with "mack pack"..galley has 2 burner LP with oven..sea frost refer..mico wave...I do have a rubber dinghy w/3.5 hp moter but no davit....and as for sailing in the sound ..yes have done that a lot but again not solo...but nothing long distance either...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:51   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

A bimini.

kind regards,
Old 21-01-2013, 05:41   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Hank!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote