Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 09:19   #1

Howdy! Another new, temporarily landlocked, member here

Just wanted to introduce myself since I imagine I'll be around here for a while. I discovered this forum yesterday while doing research on the viability of what I want to do and y'all seem like a pretty solid group (either that or I still have enough salt in my veins to fit in haha).

Anyway, I got mostly all my experience on the water through the Army as a watercraft operator. 5 years working on the boat and cumulative 3 years sea time. Not a lot, I know, but enough for me to miss being out of sight of land and the feeling of true freedom that comes with it. I just forgot about it for a little while. I recently got back from a family trip to the beach and it reminded me of a dream I had since given up on as being prohibitively expensive, which I have since learned isn't exactly true through research and looking at boats for sale online. Not going to open that can of worms here, will absolutely have any potential boats checked out by people who know more than me before purchase.

I'm an hvac technician by trade, learning refrigeration currently. Next I'll be doing loads more research and getting experience/knowledge in every system my future boat will have so when things go tits up I can at least do the work myself. If my time at sea with the Army is any indication, things will never break in port. They all have some sort of gps so they can break when you're farthest away from safe harbor, and since I'm starting out solo I need to be as self sufficient as possible.

Right now I have a rough outline of a plan to be refined as time goes. Get on the waiting list for a local marina that allows liveaboard so I have a place to dock when I get the one. Closest body of water is Lake Travis, which would be sufficient to get experience handling a sailboat in calmer waters since as of now all mine is power driven. There are also a few clubs around here where I can take classes. I'm taking all the classes. When we were crossing the Med there were a few days our boat was going backwards at "all ahead full" and I got a healthy respect for what nature can throw at you. Blue water over the bow ramp of an LSV is rough. Exciting as hell, but rough. When I'm tested on a solo trip I will not be found wanting. Bowditch will become my bible again. Then once I get some more savings, move off the lake to Port Aransas. Continue plying my trade to build more savings while taking longer and longer trips in increasingly rougher seas where I can possibly fall back to safety if it becomes too much.

End goal is circumnavigation at least once. I'm done being strapped to a daily job where I'll look in the mirror 10, 20+years down the line when I'm in my 40's/50's and wonder what the hell I did with my life. All it is, is grinding away so I can continue the cycle until I'm too old to work. That's just not gonna work for me.

Fair winds and following seas
Shark_Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 09:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Howdy! Another new, temporarily landlocked, member here

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

I enjoyed reading your good introduction.
I chuckled.

There are several retired and former Army folks here who have taken those steps before you. And a few CF members in the Austin area too.

I used to sail on Lake Travis. It can be fun. Very nice lake.

Good luck on pursuing your goals with sailing.
Enjoy your time on the water and on CF too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 14:13   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, Sharky, welcome aboard CF! That's a very reasonable plan you have there, good on ya.

One of the good things about going out and thrashing about in difficult weather while you're still close to land is the hot showers waiting at the end of the day, and you will go out in the wind and rain and get cold, but by golly, you'll know where to sheet the storm jib, and how to heave to.

Welcome, aboard, mate.

Ann
Old 18-08-2017, 14:20   #4

Boat: Currently in between

Sharks in Austin? Look out there is another one!!

Welcome aboard Sharky, you'll love this place. Sometimes informative, sometimes entertaining but almost never dull.
Old 18-08-2017, 19:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hey, Sharky, welcome aboard CF! That's a very reasonable plan you have there, good on ya.

One of the good things about going out and thrashing about in difficult weather while you're still close to land is the hot showers waiting at the end of the day, and you will go out in the wind and rain and get cold, but by golly, you'll know where to sheet the storm jib, and how to heave to.

Welcome, aboard, mate.

Ann

Oh that's great to hear, thank you! I like to think I've somewhat matured enough to stop making unrealistic plans haha
Old 18-08-2017, 19:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Sharks in Austin? Look out there is another one!!

Welcome aboard Sharky, you'll love this place. Sometimes informative, sometimes entertaining but almost never dull.

Thanks! I'm already enjoying the forums. Since there's so much to read I almost didn't realize I was sitting in the DMV for 3 and a half hours today
Old 18-08-2017, 19:37   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait View Post
Thanks! I'm already enjoying the forums. Since there's so much to read I almost didn't realize I was sitting in the DMV for 3 and a half hours today
It can be addictive! Enjoy!

Tags