Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2009, 18:07   #1

Howdy from Tennessee!

Hi all. Have enjoyed reading the posts on here for awhile and thought I'd say hi. We have a 44ft Gibson docked on the Cumberland River, connected to the great beyond. Getting closer to retirement and hope to travel the river systems and possibly do some or all of the loop. We spend as much time as we can on the boat and it seems like all we think about is getting back on the water! Greatly enjoying this fine forum, so much information. Thanks Glen
Hidro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 18:19   #2

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Hey there Volunteers, welcome aboard.

Ya got a nice boat, but the Great Loop would be very tough and expensive to do in a houseboat... Not saying it's impossible though.

I heard Tennessee's pretty good river cruisin ground, and I've thought about bringin my boat down from the Ohio. Maybe I'll see ya down there someday.

Cheers

Bill
Old 21-01-2009, 18:41   #3

Well come on down Bill. We did the Cumberland last summer to Barkley. Had plans on going up the Ohio for a ways, but ended up on the Tennessee. Some very beautiful scenery here and if you havent tried it yet, you should. Boat traffic is almost nill on the Cumberland and no barge traffic above Nashville. This year will be some of the Ohio/Mississippi or the TennTom. Time is still a factor. Go Steelers.

Glen
Old 25-01-2009, 19:02   #4

Hey Bill I just wanted to say Thank You for responding . It seems like any forum I get on, that whenever I post, no one responds or I am the last one and the thread ends....
Old 25-01-2009, 19:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidro View Post
Hi all. Have enjoyed reading the posts on here for awhile and thought I'd say hi. We have a 44ft Gibson docked on the Cumberland River, connected to the great beyond. Getting closer to retirement and hope to travel the river systems and possibly do some or all of the loop. We spend as much time as we can on the boat and it seems like all we think about is getting back on the water! Greatly enjoying this fine forum, so much information. Thanks Glen
Welcome, fellow Tennessean... I live in the Nashville area and am looking forward to warmer weather so we can get back on the lake. Just a few more months...

--
Looking for Freedom
SMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 20:06   #6

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidro View Post
Hey Bill I just wanted to say Thank You for responding . It seems like any forum I get on, that whenever I post, no one responds or I am the last one and the thread ends....
No problem there buddy. You guys done any cruisin on the Tenn-Tom?

Cheers

Bill
Old 27-01-2009, 04:22   #7

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30
Hello from another Tennesseean.
I am from Crossville and have boated on the Tennessee River for many years. When you get the chance, come over to East Tennessee. The river from Guntersville, AL to Knoxville is (in my opinion) some of the most beautiful cruising you will do.
We currently live on our sailboat in Bradenton, FL and have made the trip up and down the Tenn/Tom several times.
If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 04:34   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good to have you here, Hidro. Hope you enjoy the Forum!
Old 27-01-2009, 05:36   #9

Good morning, Hud.
I rinsed off the 'Belle' Sunday, It helped.

Wm
Old 27-01-2009, 08:50   #10

Boat: none today
Hello Hidro, your post is very interesting to me as my wife and I have been discussing doing that very thing in our not-too-distant retirement. We live in Nashville and I grew up on the Tennessee River. As you say, the Cumberland connects you to----anything! I was looking at Trawlers and such, but she likes her space and comfort and has brought up houseboats. I did not know that houseboats actually went anywhere, but I looked up a Gibson 44 and see that it is a boat and not a barge. My question is what type of mileage do you get on your river travels? How does your boat handle currents and wind? Have you locked through the dams? How was it, chore or nightmare? Good luck on your adventures and thanks for sharing any info.
Bill
Bill E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 18:16   #11

Thanks all for the replys and we are enjoying this forum very much. So much interesting and informative reading.

Bill our mileage is not as good as a trawler type boat, we only get a little better than two mpg at seven to eight mph. Boat handling is great. We took four foot waves on Barkley with no problem, and had plenty of power to pass barges. Locking and docking not an issue with twin engines she will crab sideways. Im very happy with it.

The Tenn Tom is definately on our list, right now time is not on our side due to work issues, but very soon, if all goes well we can cruise to our hearts content.

Thanks again for all of the warm welcomes. Glen
Old 28-01-2009, 01:22   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'day Glen,
Can I add my welcome and hope you enjoy the site.
JOHN
Old 28-01-2009, 04:13   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
Good morning, Hud.
I rinsed off the 'Belle' Sunday, It helped.

Wm
Thanks, William! And The Belle thanks you, too!
Old 28-01-2009, 18:15   #14

Wmiii

We live near Cookeville and look forward to cruising the Tennessee. The beauty of it is that we can be on the river for a month and only be two hours by car from the house. It sounds like you are living our dream and would enjoy hearing about your adventures some time. If you are up this way it would be my pleasure to hook up over a cup of joe and swap stories. Glen
Old 29-01-2009, 04:37   #15

We're in Crossville now, doing tax stuff.
Actually drove past Cookeville yesterday in the snow on the way to Nashville.
PM me when you can.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30