Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2014, 11:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Means Ahoy!

Howdy Folks!

I just found this nice forum a few days ago and I have enjoyed reading many of the posts and learned a lot too. I am most favorably impressed by the nice tone I see in the threads, the friendly atmosphere, and the wisdom of the moderators. I hope I can contribute a small part to the continued success of this community.

While I am not a boat owner, I hope to be one someday not too far off. I expect I may have a few questions that seem basic to those with more experience. Please don't hesitate to give me your opinion, as that is why I am here (to learn from others). You won't offend me by offering your advice or your experienced views. I will take everything with a splash of saltwater.

While I am not as experienced as many sailors, I do have a bit of time on the water in various boats under sail, just wish I had more! After sailing on lakes in the USA, it was my great pleasure to sail for years on San Francisco Bay (mostly racing) and offshore (off the California coast) and a passage from Hawaii to San Francisco. I don't consider myself an expert at anything, and would rather consider myself a newbie so I keep an open mind to learning. I believe I can learn something from anyone and hope to learn from you all here.

Unfortunately my time on the ocean has been more limited than my desire to be there. And my desire includes owning a boat someday to cruise the Big Blue (who doesn't dream that).

Still, I have always felt blue water runs in my veins, as being on a sailboat is my very earliest memory (from the time when I was a tot in Miami) and looking at "boats for sale" in Yachting magazine has been something I have done since I was about 9 years old, along with drawing my own boat plans back then as a kid. I still haven't decided which will be my dream boat to cruise on, but I have my eye on a few.

As for personal tastes in boats, I like the traditional styles (even more recent versions like HC and Babas) but I also have always liked the look of strong and sturdy looking steel boats too. I attribute that to reading about Joshua years ago. Eventually I will probably pick something with a Pilot House, as I have strong feelings about them too. As for those, while I admire a Perini Navi, I will more likely get a Nauticat. But, while I would enjoy the comforts of those larger boats, it is also likely I will get something a bit smaller too.

Experience? I am always looking for more! I don't consider myself a racer, but I have sailed and raced on small boats like Thistle, Nacra, Cal 20, a classic Folk Boat, J-24s and J-29s, as well as larger boats like Jeanneau 42 and others. As part of a competitive race crew I got my introduction to San Francisco Bay while on the cold and wet pitching foredeck of a J-35 in many races. I had the distinct pleasure of running the main on an offshore race to the Farallons on a Santa Cruz 50 "sled" once at 20+ knots and the tense time at the helm of an IOR 40 foot race boat on a run during an overnight race in high seas and high waves off the coast. I only wish I had more time and more chances to crew. That said, I believe my heart more closely lies in cruising and of course in the dream of making a circumnavigation.

Perhaps some day we will meet and I will be happy to pull a line or two for you.

When I do get my dream boat, I will be happy to have you aboard for a brew or two and a yarn to go with it.

Sincerely,

Steady (a nickname for my first name, Steadman)

Currently in Texas after spending 3 years traveling the American West while working on some book projects for books about equestrians. Next stop? Where the wind blows me.

I do prefer to see real faces (rather than avatars or cartoons) so here is a self-pic I made when I was taking a sight 1,000 miles from land.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	84995  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 41' Island Trader
Send a message via MSN to CaptainPatty Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainPatty
Re: Howdy Means Ahoy!

Nice introduction Steady!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CaptainPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 12:38   #3

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Welcome aboard mate!
Old 14-07-2014, 12:51   #4

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

[QUOTE=CaptainPatty;1584276]Nice introduction Steady

+1
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:06   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To the friendly members here: Thanks for the welcoming words!
Old 14-07-2014, 16:43   #6

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Welcome aboard! I am a recent joiner myself and appreciate the expertise I have found here.
Old 14-07-2014, 16:59   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Steady, and welcome aboard CF. You sound pretty experienced for a noobie, and as a former SF area sailor/racer/cruiser, I know that you've seen some interesting conditions.

As you have likely noted, there is a lot of good info here on CF. There is also a lot of idiot BS. Your job is to distinguish between the categories. Good luck with your boat searching and enjoy the ride.

Jim
Old 14-07-2014, 17:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Howdy Means Ahoy!

Hi Steady.. Welcome to CF..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 17:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Welcome aboard! I am a recent joiner myself and appreciate the expertise I have found here.
Thanks!

An Alden ketch sounds like an interesting boat. I have always thought I wanted a ketch as I like the look when their sails are flying.
Old 14-07-2014, 17:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Steady, and welcome aboard CF. You sound pretty experienced for a noobie, and as a former SF area sailor/racer/cruiser, I know that you've seen some interesting conditions.

As you have likely noted, there is a lot of good info here on CF. There is also a lot of idiot BS. Your job is to distinguish between the categories. Good luck with your boat searching and enjoy the ride.

Jim
Howdy Jim,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have read a few hundred (or more) posts in many threads here in the last week or so, and I did see you post several where I thought: "That is a Wise Man." (This is a sincere compliment.) I am truly looking forward to learning more from you, your partner/admiral, and others here.

Sure enough, sailing on San Francisco Bay was a great experience in challenging conditions and staying warm despite being on a boat on a sunny July day, something about being close hauled with wind chill helping 50 degree spray chill the body while on deck makes one think of warmth or a need for it...many days I was wearing enough fleece to look like a michelin man!
Old 14-07-2014, 17:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatty View Post
Nice introduction Steady!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CaptainPatty,

Thanks! I am glad you liked the intro. Even more fun when it can be done in person.
Old 14-07-2014, 17:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi Steady.. Welcome to CF..
Boatman,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have read many of your posts, enjoyed your humor, and admire your experience and attitude.

My sincere appreciation that there are experienced hands like yourself here to teach newbies like me a thing or two.
Old 15-07-2014, 01:07   #13

Hi Steady,

Doesn't sound like you're much of a newbie. All the best with your plans to get that dream boat.
bhamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 01:16   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Welcome aboard Steady. I think you're gonna fit right in...

Hope you get that boat soon!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 06:46   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamham View Post
Hi Steady,

Doesn't sound like you're much of a newbie. All the best with your plans to get that dream boat.
Thanks!

I noticed your screen name includes "BHAM" as part of it. I once lived in a city in USA called Birmingham (Alabama), and "BHAM" was the abbreviation commonly used. It is a much smaller city than BHAM England, but much larger than BHAM Michigan.

Smooth Sailing to you!