Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 08:29   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Re: I bought a yacht on eBay

Yeah, dont pay or just forfeit your deposit. A first time bidder, what is he going to do?
Old 26-12-2016, 09:27   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Uhm...maybe you should see this "Yacht" first before money moves from one pocket to another. Please don't ask me how I know this.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:33   #18

Seriously? You couldn't show him how to bid on an old sewing machine? Let's hear version 2 of your story, cuz version 1 ain't cuttin' it. Just sayin'.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:05   #19

Boat: prout,quest31&31feet
Send a message via AIM to ahaluk76 Send a message via MSN to ahaluk76 Send a message via Yahoo to ahaluk76 Send a message via Skype™ to ahaluk76

Hahajajjujjajajajeehhe suprised😁😂😂😁 and the bid vee interested all followers😹✌✌
ahaluk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:32   #20

I wonder if this is the same boat.

Manitou 32ft center cockpit fiberglass ketch just antifouled (syd | Sail Boats | Gumtree Australia Lane Cove Area - Lane Cove | 1133054970
Old 26-12-2016, 12:31   #21
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
Seriously? You couldn't show him how to bid on an old sewing machine? Let's hear version 2 of your story, cuz version 1 ain't cuttin' it. Just sayin'.
I was watching this auction as I have been looking at buying a sailboat for a few weeks... I have gambling winnings that I don't wish to lose back to the bookies.
If this boat turns out to be an unfixable lemon, I'll resell it on eBay and look at buying another one.
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 12:50   #22

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
A friend of mine and his daughter were looking at a Miata on eBay. The bid was low so they put a bid on it expecting to be outbid. They won the car.

The car was about 2,000 miles away, but being a man of his word he paid for it. I can't recall whether he had it shipped or flew down and drove it back.

I think the purchase of this yacht is going to lead to a wonderful tale. It's off to a great start. Keep us posted OP.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:32   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Absolutely, go and see it, install a second hand engine and a coat of white paint to smarten up the interior then off.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:28   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Absolutely, go and see it, install a second hand engine and a coat of white paint to smarten up the interior then off.

Pete
Umm, Pete, the passage from Sydney to Darwin is not a trivial one. I think your advice is a bit optimistic! There will be a few things needed (as yet not determined) as well as getting the experience with the boat that will make the trip potentially successful rather than a series of "oh ****" situations, out in the woop-woop.

In the OP's position, I'd be planning a longish refit followed by some months of shakedown whilst still in an area where parts, advice and skilled labour are available... or trucking the boat to Darwin and doing the work there at leisure.

Or did I miss the sarcasm in your post, Pete?

Jim
Old 26-12-2016, 14:46   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I suspect Pete was taking the piss. Jim has put you on the right track, there will be a mountain of work to do & many $$$$$ to pour into it before you make a turn out of Sydney heads towards Darwin if you wish to sail home safely. Maybe a project is what you want though
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 15:25   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Umm, Pete, the passage from Sydney to Darwin is not a trivial one.

Jim
Nor is buying a boat sight unseen.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 15:39   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Or did I miss the sarcasm in your post, Pete?
Jim
No not scarcasm and I did have a look at Google maps before posting to see how far it was. However, in Sav's favour is he is retired, if he can afford to give up work for a few months to sort the yacht then he has all the time in the world for short hops.

See too many people retire and don't have something to replace work with so just seem to give up. Me I will be quite happy to tinker about with an old yacht if I reach that age.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 16:19   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
No not scarcasm and I did have a look at Google maps before posting to see how far it was. However, in Sav's favour is he is retired, if he can afford to give up work for a few months to sort the yacht then he has all the time in the world for short hops.

See too many people retire and don't have something to replace work with so just seem to give up. Me I will be quite happy to tinker about with an old yacht if I reach that age.

Pete
Well, I wasn't sure about the tone of your post, Pete!

And it isn't only that Sydney to Darwin is a damn long way, once you are past Cairns there is bugger all in the way of support for dealing with any issues that arise. You really need to have your ducks lined up for that part of the voyage... and it is another 1300 miles or so.

Not a good lookout for a boat purchased by mistake off of e-bay by an inexperienced sailor IMO.

I guess one way of looking at it is the somewhat low probability that he would actually reach Cairns. Up to there, there are bail out possibilities galore!

Jim
Old 26-12-2016, 16:32   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Well, I wasn't sure about the tone of your post, Pete!

And it isn't only that Sydney to Darwin is a damn long way, once you are past Cairns there is bugger all in the way of support for dealing with any issues that arise. You really need to have your ducks lined up for that part of the voyage... and it is another 1300 miles or so.

Not a good lookout for a boat purchased by mistake off of e-bay by an inexperienced sailor IMO.

I guess one way of looking at it is the somewhat low probability that he would actually reach Cairns. Up to there, there are bail out possibilities galore!

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You purchased a boat located 5,000 miles away with a seized up engine sight unseen without a mooring?

Personally, I wouldn't give the guy any money until you see the boat first hand, then get out of the deal if you discover a money pit. It looks like a bad deal to me at 12,000 miles away.
Jim,

It looks like we finally agree about something.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 18:01   #30
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

Thanks for all the free advice guys... its much appreciated.

I must admit I didn't expect a meet n greet post to get so much attention. As for whether I get to sail my boat at all, let alone on a 4,000+ mile voyage into the unknown only time will tell.

I am toying with the idea of a circumnavigation though... either in this boat or something similar.

My sister told me I bought a floating coffin; being an optimist my reply was "It's cheaper to die a sea than on shore".
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht