Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2008, 09:23   #1

Boat: CSY 44
In a the deep end!

Hello - I guess I starting as many others do - help, I've brought a boat and I have no idea what I'm doing! I always wanted to live on a boat so I brought a fairly sorry looking CSY 44 in an auction - happy days!

I have help on many things from friends, but would love some advice on engine size, gear ratio's, props etc for that specific boat. I have a Perkins 4236 at the moment (dead!) and have been considering buying brand new - what can you suggest?

Many thanks,
Simon
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 09:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome Simon - Good post. I've moved your other post from monohulls to the Engine Forum. I think that you'll get a better response there. I would also like to suggest that you fill in the profile information to help others better gauge their responses and give them a better idea of where they might refer you to. Click on PROFILE at the top of this screen in the blue banner menu. I would suggest the boat size and your general location .. ie San Diego, CA or such.

Good luck!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 10:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Simon,

You'll probably need some detailed help with your CSY. Here is the link to the owners association. I used to own a CSY 33 and I think they have a lot of information you will need.

Topica Email List Directory

As far as engines for the boat go you can get help on the specifics of the 4-236 as well as options for re powering that can drop into place a lot easier than something else you may find.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 14:16   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Simon,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here and good luck on your new project. Hope it is in better shape than mine.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 20:29   #5

Boat: Formosa Ketch 41'
I like the Beta Marine product. They build motor mounts that match the ones you have. I think it's a Kubota diesel. It's the same motor that you will find in any farm, parts store with some upgrades as far as changing oil, belts etc. However, I don't have a beta marine engine. I want one.
JerryH.
jerryhartlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 04:33   #6

Boat: Neptunian Ketch Calloo
We had a problem with the gearbox on our old Perkins 4108 and couldn't find a replacement so we sold the 4108 on Ebay (we got £900 for it !!!)and fitted a Beta. The assistance from Beta Marine was really good. The boat was ashore and I couldn't get to it to gather the information that Beta wanted. They sent an engineer at no cost to have a look before they recommended an engine and gearbox. I had to make a new engine bed out of heavy steel angle but apart from that the installation was straightforward. The new gearbox is 2.5/1 as apposed to the Perkins box which was 2/1. Although the Beta engine is a bit smaller than the Perkins we can now get to the full hull speed of 7.5 knots when motoring at 3000 rpm. and comforably cruise at 6+ knots at 2000 rpm. With the old Perkins, although it was in good condition, we would hang on the prop at just over 6 knots and any increase in throttle would just soot up the transom. In summary the Beta is brilliant and well worth the money.
Chris.
Capt Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 13:29   #7

Boat: Formosa Ketch 41'
Captain Hook it sounds like you are way ahead of me. Thanks for the reply. If I had any lingering doubts about Beta Marine, you cleared them up. I'm definantly committed to the Beta Marine product. You see, my sweet wife has informed me that If we go Cruising, she wants a new motor and tranny. O.K. ..... we can do that! I hope to see you on the water some day.
Jerry