Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2007, 07:13   #1

Boat: 45ft FP Casamance
Intro from South Africa

Howzit everyone
A bit about myself......
I built 2 wooden boats in Indonesia during 98/99, the second one is a 120ft ironwood ketch which was purpose built for exploration (Indonesia has approx 15000 islands). Ended up running surf charters on her for about 5 years off Sumatra (Mentawai Islands). If you are keen to read about our adventures, go to www.all-aboardtravel.com, then go to the Indies Explorer archives link. I know the islands, weather and red tape off the Sumatran coast well if anyone has questions about that area.

Why I am here.....
Now I am living in Hermanus, South Africa (been on the dry stuff for 3 years now...starting to itch) I plan on leaving Cape Town on a cat early 2009 with my wife and 2 sons who by then will be aged 1ish and 4 for a 3 year trade wind circumnavigation. My budget for a cat "all in" is $200k, at the moment my head is spinning with all the info, its like a peeling a massive onion, making my eyes water! I almost feel like the less you know (and just go!!!), the better!

Thanks for all the great threads!
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 10:47   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Fishman,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Hope you find information and are able to share.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 13:07   #3

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Welcome new friend.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 16:12   #4

Hi Fishman - I'm curious about your experiences in Indo. I'm considering building a 40ft vessel in Kalimantan. Do you think the traditional construction would hold up in a Pacific crossing to North America? Any advice would be appreciated!
Pomalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 14:30   #5

Building a local indo boat is probably the cheapest way of doing it. These boats are heavy, slow to non existent sailing performance (strictly motorsailors), untreated wood means the boats don't last longer than 10 -15 years (lots of wood rot), very primitive systems (they won't accept you in US waters), all sots of red tape problems w.r.t. ownership and actually leaving Indo waters with a locally built boat...but they are great as a cheap means of exploring the Indo coast and because you get so much space for your money they make good live-aboards. The hulls are wide (they are designed to carry cargo), form stable with shallow long keel so they can sit on the beach (which means they can only sail downwind or use their sails to keep the boat stable whilst motoring). They also leak like sieves...bilge pump runs almost all the time. The experience of going over there and watching/helping them build it for you is one of the best things you will ever do. I would not do any serious passage making in them. If you plan on going far then rather go for a proper pedigree sail boat. Some westerners try to get them to build western designed boats off a plan, they are not good with that...but it can be done...but because the wood is so heavy, the length/weight ratio only really "works" once you go 60ft and over. The hulls/woodwork are very high maintenance - every year you have to rip stuff out and rebuild a new part of the boat...Most of the Indo boats run on converted used truck engines with the bare minimum i.t.o. hardware...because these boats flex etc you often have shaft alignment problems. Google songline cruises for info about some westerners who facilitate/help other westerners with building a boat in Indo. In my opinion the Indo boats are strictly for Indo waters. The wood also does funny stuff when its no longer in its home climate...hope this helps, Fishman
Old 15-10-2007, 18:06   #6

Hi Fishman,

Thanks for sharing your experience. From what you say, it seems like this might be a misguided enterprise!

Cheers,
Pomalaa
Pomalaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 07:30   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Fishman,
And good luck with the rugby on Saturday!
Cheers
JOHN
Old 17-10-2007, 13:16   #8

Ja I hope the Bokke are going to be "Last man standing"!
thanks
Fishy

Tags
Africa, South Africa