Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 15:47   #1

Boat: Looking
Intro message

Hi all!

Looking to continue my sailing journey, having sailed for a large portion of my life (age 26) by buying and living aboard a boat in the UK. Most likely Cardiff or Bristol.

Looking for restoration tips, and general guidance along the way I'm sure!
SailManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 16:04   #2
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: Intro message

welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folk here that are willing to give advice.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 05:35   #3

Thanks Dj! Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Dan
Old 16-06-2023, 17:27   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 02:37   #5

Thanks Adelie, have done!
Old 18-06-2023, 02:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What sort of boat are you looking for? Sailing Melody will take you all over the world and for now give a live aboard base.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 03:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What sort of boat are you looking for? Sailing Melody will take you all over the world and for now give a live aboard base.

Hi Pete, a good channel - I've checked out a fair few of their vids!

As to what am I looking for, that's a good question! I'm mainly restricted by budget, around the 10k mark. Something that's comfortable enough for one most of the time, and occasional trips with 4 or so. As long as the sails, rigging, engine and hull are in good condition, I can work on any aesthetic upgrades. Looking in the 27-30ft range at the moment, a couple I've had my eyes on.. (apologies if not allowed to post links).

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=715200

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=734593

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/hunt...or-sale/733484
Old 19-06-2023, 03:01   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Links on the forum are fine, but we take a dim view of someone using the forum to advertise their YT channel or blog for their own gain.

The She 27 looks nice and I don't believe that is the original interior, which if true its a work of art installing that. Some serious cash has been spent on the gizmos too. However, a She 27 is a really small space to live on in the UK. Cabin fever will be a problem in the depths of a winter.

The other two will have similar size problems as a home even for one person with a minimalist life style.

I Don't agree with Andy's valuation of S Melody. Its not what he paid for it and the work its had done, but what someone will pay for it that is the true value. It's a steel boat and an interesting boat to sail around the world or live aboard, but won't appeal to the majority of weekend cruisers in the UK. The market is grp in mint condition, with a fin keel for and really nice interior plus shower and heads to impress the ladies, etc.

In your position, I would approach Andy and say this is all the funds I have, can i buy SM? He needs to sell to concentrate on their larger Bowman 48, so might just bite because there won't be many other buyers looking at this project. Nor has he the time to finish SM whilst also working on the Bowman, two boats never works.

You get a fab yacht that does need some finishing inside enabling you to chose the layout, fittings and colours etc. Also a lot more living space as your home and room for a partner perhaps or sailing with friends in due course. You are also adding value should you decide to change later in life. You have nothing to loose by asking and everything to gain as Andy and Melissa did buying the Bowman in the depths of winter for a really cheap price.

Just ask him and you could appear on YT next week sailing off into the sunset on SM for your next adventure

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 21:31   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome here Dan!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote