Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2005, 02:14   #1

Introducing Myself

Konnichiwa,
I'm about to finish up a 13 year stint teaching English[fnarr fnarr] over here in Japan. During that time I managed to save enough money to buy a boat, a beautiful Herreschoff design 45ft ferro ketch. She's a stunner. With my Italian skipper, we will be leaving Japan in March 06 to begin a life as budget cruisers.
We are in our mid-30's and felt that the time was right for a serious challenge. I also can't stand this modern life for much longer and want to get back to a few basics.
Our goal is to cruise on around 400 dollars a month, maybe less. I started sailing a mere year ago on a 21 foot Yamaha JOG that I bought for a mere 1000 bucks over here in Japan. It's in excellent condition and would sell for much more over in Europe but Japan doesn't really have a market for boats because most people are too busy for hobbies such as sailing.
So, within a year I found the love of my life and a boat! Things have moved fast but I'm sure that I will be able to stand up to any challenge that comes my way.
First challenge, it would seem, would be finding the perfect pressure cooker!
I look forward to being a regular visitor to this forum, and thank you in advance for any information that you might be able to pass on over the course of the next few months.
Ja ne,
Maria
GreyDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 04:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Welcome. We look forward to hearing of your future adventures.
So the budget, is that US dollars? Certainly do-able as your standard living expenses, but you will probably find the need to spend a couple of large chunks at certain times of the year. Like hull out for Antifoul and anodes etc. Then the odd sail repair or replacement and rig repairs. The longer you get away with not having to spend money, the more the spend will end up being. It's a law of Murphy
Pressure cooker? well I would say you have one. New partner in a small enclosed space. That would do it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote