Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 12:41   #1

Boat: Looking
Post Introduction from S/V Niksen

In a few years there won't be much to keep me here, so, I'll be like Ishmael: "nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." So, until then, I plan on learning to sail by exploring locally, and slowly getting farther out up and down the West Coast.

Right now I'm new to sailing, and about to become the owner of a 27' Pearson Renegade. The short-term goal is to get up and running with this sailboat. I wasn't planning on getting a boat so soon, but the price (free) was too good to pass up. We should be a good match, too. I'm not looking to race, she seems to be sea-kindly and forgiving of mistakes. The current owner was sailing her as of a few months ago. She'll needs some work -- the interior is rough, but serviceable, and the hull needs a good cleaning. The engine has been removed. At first inspection there are only minor issues.

There is a *lot* I don't know right now. However, as far as it goes, I'm mechanically inclined -- I've had my own home metal and wood shops, I was a volunteer fire fighter, also fixed cars, repaired plumbing, painted houses, cleared brush, etc... As long as I'm willing to work hard toward sailing, then, with a few classes and some help, I think I can pull it off.

Well, with that as an intro, feel free to ask questions or comment.

Jeff P.
sv_niksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 15:05   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Introduction from S/V Niksen

HI, Jeff.

Welcome to CF.

When you're ready to go, then cast off the dock lines and go. In the interim, you'll work on a lot of projects. If you wait until everything is in Bristol condition, then you'll never leave. Sailing is working on your boat in exotic places.
Old 27-04-2022, 15:06   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 16:18   #4

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Welcome to the forum Jeff P.

Many here would suggest there's no such thing as a free boat, so will be interesting to hear of your progress in fixing her up and learning to sail and use he boat.

Reading that the motor has been removed. For many sailors that would present a significant issue. Finding and installing a typical small marine diesel can be a pricey and time consuming business. Forgive me please as I offer a little advice, given that you've not asked for it. I have a boat a similar size and for several years my budget wouldn't stretch to another inboard engine and so I used a small 5hp outboard. It was fine for getting us in and out of marinas, and when there was no wind. In would happily chugg along at 4.5 knots. And sin of all sins it was even a 2-stroke. It's still in the garage somewhere.

Also, as Adelie mentioned it's helpful to update your profile. There are a great many west coasts out there adjacent to the watery world.
Old 27-04-2022, 16:26   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you are willing to come down to SD I'll take you sailing on my boat monthly, perhaps more. I taught sailing off and on for 23yr before moving here from the PNW.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 16:49   #6

Arrg... the Sailboat just fell through!

My budget is about $1,000 a month total. The cost of hauling it out and getting it surveyed puts it past my budget right now. I was going to sign the paperwork in the next few days, get it insured, and then surveyed in about a month, but the owner changed his mind and wants the boat gone in the next few days. I get it, he just doesn't want to take a chance or messing up his current situation. I'd do the same if I was in his shoes.

So, now I'm *looking* for a good starter boat. Not right away, though. I need to get some actual experience, take a class or two. Maybe start with my own sailing skiff or something?

But it was a good learning experience... I now know where to get a slip (Cabrillo Marina), liability insurance (check with AAA). I'll just need to budget for about $1,000--$1,500 one-time initial survey and haul-out at a DIY boatyard. There is a great yacht salvage shop (Minnie's) within walking distance, so I think I can keep initial repairs to under $1,000.

So far I have towing insurance, a small 2hp propane outboard for a dinghy, a 9.8hp outboard (booth need minor maintenance), navigation & communication electronics, two hundred feet of new good-quality 3/8" line, some books, some power tools for fiberglass cleaning/repair, and a few other miscellaneous things. And I have a much better idea of local resources available to me, and the process of buying a used boat.

So, not exactly the result I was hoping for, but the were no drownings, nothing sank, no one went to the hospital -- I'll still put it in the "win" column.
Old 27-04-2022, 17:46   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Then you must be very near OCC School of Sailing if you can walk to Minney's.
https://occsailing.augusoft.net/inde...seaction=1010&
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 18:48   #8

Yes, I'm near to both. If any one is in the area, I'm at Kean Coffee most mornings -- I'm the artist with the long hair. A lot of people there know me. Please say hi if you see me!
Old 28-04-2022, 02:21   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction