Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2005, 10:35   #1

Is it possible?

Hey guys My name is Aurovon and I am a college studnet. I am 20 years old. Just recently(okay well yesterday) I was looking at crusiers on ebay.com and for some odd reason I thought it would be a wonderful life to live in one. I love to travel to begin with. Honestly I don't know what I really want in life, but whats ironic is just thinking about living in a boat gives me motivation to do well in college and get a good job to fulfil this dream. I just stumbled upon this site today, and I guess I didn't have the patience to read around that much before posting here. Honestly I don't know anything about boats, and I've never been sailing but it seems like fun to me. I guess the reason I joined this forum is to get to know alot more about life itself with sailing. I think it would be really cool to buy a crusier and live in it while working in a city. It would be my house. And ofcourse on the weekends it would be nice to cruiser around to near by places. I think this life would be perfect for me especially because I don't plan on getting married nor having kids. The bottom line is, am I nuts for thinking this? Do you think this is possible? If any of you pros have any input/advice it would be wonderful. Other than that I shall keep on doing my research (and study for my chemistry test which is tomorrow!!! ) Thanks for reading and take care!
aurovon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 12:44   #2
Kai Nui

GO FOR IT! If I was 20 again, and knew what I know now, I would be gone already. At your age, the inconveniences of living aboard, and the energy needed to cruise are all incidental. At your age, jump in with both feet!
Old 18-09-2005, 13:57   #3

Of course its possible the questions only lay in what is practicable. Not living in the US but from the comment posted in many of the forums i would suggest that you need to check what it will cost for some where to tie a boat up where you are allowed to live aboard (or can get away with). This may be your biggest problem in you plan.

One of these issues that you have to come to terms with is what boat you need in the context of space (including storage) . Boats of the same length vary in what they will provide you and as you pay for slips by the foot you may need to consider the individual boat designs care fully.

You say that you don't plan on getting married or having kids or getting married, not may of us did at your age. You may wish to consider what the implication are of having some one living on the boat with, provided you can find a partner with the correct mental afflictions to do that

Then there is the issue of where you are considering buying a boat, there is often a simple reason why boats are for sale there. Please remember that it is usually a lot cheaper to buy a boat with want you need than to upgrade systems, and you are unlikely to buy a boat on Ebay that does not need significant repairs and/or upgrades.

You asked if you are nuts for wanting to live on a boat, the simple answer is yes. Having said that, in less than 3 weeks i will be moving out of my own house to live on a boat with an initial plan of doing so for at least 10 years.

All the best with you dreams, and go for it

Paul

boredinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 15:42   #4
Kai Nui

Paul's words of caution are not unfounded, but at 20, you should be able to improvise. We have lived aboard our boat since 1998, and done quite a bit of coastal cruising. We have encountered lots of problems, and been able to over come them in our 40's. In my 20's I do not think I would have even noticed most of them, or at least considered tham problems. Especially considering you are by yourself. If your stove or water system breaks, you will probably be in a much better position to let it wait until you can afford to make repairs. If you can not find a live aboard slip, considering your age and situation, you will probably be able to sneak aboard a lot easier then someone with a family that is on board all the time. I wish someone had told me to throw caution to the wind at that age. If it does not work for you, you are not stuck. Sell it and move on. I am, of course making some assumptions, that you do not own a house, and have a full time career besides school. If I am wrong, well that makes some difference on the approach, bt I still say go for it. I have met a few people in your position over the years, and not one of them has expressed regret at the decision to buy a boat, move aboard, and start cruising. By the way, cruising does not just mean throwing the dock lines and heading for blue water. living aboard, and sailing along the coast is cruising. Taking off for the summer and sailing down to Mexico, or up the ICW, then returning to your slip and continuing to live aboard while waiting for your next escape is cruising.
Old 18-09-2005, 16:06   #5

Great information guys, im definatley new to this. Actually I live with my parents right now. I am not working. I am a full time college student. So, ofcourse its going to be a while until I buy a boat. I will do as much research as possible and get different point of views from people who already cruise. Thanks for the input once again.

Paul: 10 years, eh? That's awesome. Where are you located? Do you plan on working during those 10 years or retired? Do you plan on crusing around long distances alot of time?

I am just curious I've noticed most crusiers have a 150-200 Gallon tank...just a ball figure how many hours does that usually last on a boat? Plus when speaking of electricity while living on a boat, how do they achieve it usually? They have outlets on marinas or something? There are also other ways I assume? Ahh, these are such noob questions I just need to find some good books to learn about all this
Old 18-09-2005, 16:55   #6
Kai Nui

150-200 gallon? Do you mean water or fuel? Water capacity will be determined by where you want to cruise. same with fuel, as well as the size of the boat Electricity is a matter of need. If you are at a dock, you will have a recepticle to plug into, and a water supply to fill your tanks when you need to. THe matter of water consumption is addressed on another thread on this forum, so read on. The amount of electricity you need is subjective, and far to complicated to speculate at this stage. I would suggest you find a yacht club (I am not sure where in Texas you are, so I do not know how much of a challenge this may be). If you have access to a yacht club, get involved with the people there. There is always oppertunity to crew on boats during weekend races. This will be the easiest way to get familiar with different sizes and designs of boats, as well as getting aome sailing experience. Coming from land, you will probably be tempted to find the biggest boat you can afford. Big mistake. You need to find a boat that you can handle by yourself. Again, there are several very good threads on this forum that discuss this very matter.
Old 18-09-2005, 17:01   #7

Excellent. I meant fuel. Anyways, I will search on the forum. You know I've always had the idea anyone who owns a Yacht is RICH so I don't know if I will be exactly fitting in, haha. But I am guessing that is not always the case. I live near Houston, but I guess I can try to see where is the nearest Yacht Club. And oh yea a big boat would be nice, but I definately see your point. I will remember that since it is a key point. Thanks.
Old 18-09-2005, 18:06   #8
Kai Nui

Wealth is subjective. All sailors ARE rich, but few of us have money. At least not the kind that brings a life of luxury. Our wealth is in our independence, and our interaction with the sea. (Not too over the top I hope)
Old 18-09-2005, 18:41   #9

Quote:
Kai Nui once whispered in the wind:
Wealth is subjective. All sailors ARE rich, but few of us have money. At least not the kind that brings a life of luxury. Our wealth is in our independence, and our interaction with the sea. (Not too over the top I hope)
Wise words. I agree. Damn I am quoting that for my sig
Old 19-09-2005, 20:31   #10

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
You must follow your dream; if you want to live aboard, DO IT. Do not get to be 45 and wish you had done things differently.

Don't worry too much about asking too many questions that may seem dumb. We were all new once and had to learn the jargon and detail. This forum is a great place to pick up details and to see a variety of opinions expressed.

Being out on the water, wind in the sails, good music on the radio/CD and a couple of quiet drinks are the best way to spend a weekend.

Good luck and fair winds

Steve

Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2005, 20:36   #11
Kai Nui

Or a life time
Old 02-10-2005, 08:54   #12

Go For It

Go For It,

I am going for it. I am not 20 years old. But, at my age. I still feel and act like I'm 12. :-)

Regards,

Kevin
CaptainK
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 09:33   #13

Dear aurovon,
I would expect such naive talk rather from a dreamer 12-year old kid. Unfortunately, even our permissive modern society requires responsible behaviour from 20-year old adults like you. Remember that in third world countries people at your age support the whole family!
chrondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 14:37   #14

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
GO

That is the great thing about our society. We have choices. I have worked in menial jobs, gone to college, worked in corporate HQ's and now I live my dreams.

I traveled when I was 10, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40. Just understand that the future is what you make it. The better you learn to develop your own skills and broaden your horizons the fuller life can be.

Set your goals and work towards that goal.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 20:21   #15
Kai Nui

chrondi, since I do not consider myself a 12 year old kid, I assume I am the "dreamer"?
Naive is not necessarily a bad thing. Many of the greatest accomplishments in history have happened because someone did not know that it couldn't be done.
One other consideration, in order to do anything meaningful, you have to do something. Right or wrong. And as for being a dreamer, many of my accomplishments have begun as dreams.
Life is full of choices, and at 20, you have plenty of time to change course if you make the wrong one. Yes you are judged at 20. By those who feel they have the right to judge you, but fortunately you have plenty of time to prove yourself beyond the reach of those people. Still true at 40, but it takes a bit more effort.