Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 08:59   #1

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
It is about Time

Hi all. It is about time I introduced myself. I live with my wife and two dogs in San Diego. I am rebuilding a Stevens 47. Lived in NZ were I met my wife for 20 years. When I first lived in NZ I owned a Mullet boat. Lived on the Coramandel and raced with the Mercury Bay Yacht club. Have been racing in San Diego until lately, its been head down working on the boat. It really enjoyable and keeps my head in the game reading all the items on the forum.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:19   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jack,
Welcome aboard!! I get to reading and responding on this forum so much that I don't get out to some of the boat projects. Very addictive.
Good luck on your projects. I lived in San Diego in the 70s and 80s and used to race out of the Naval Sailing Club at Coronado. Very fun times indeed.
I'm not familiar with the Stevens 47. My boat rebuild project is a fiberglass hull with plywood and glass for decks and cabin top, cockpit, etc.. I'm finding more things to do than I really wanted but like you I find it keeps me off the streets.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 20:11   #3

Thanks John

The Stevens was built by Queen Long the builders of Hylas. It is a Sparkman & Stephens design. The Hylas 49 is a stretched version of the Stevens 47. I know what you mean about finding more things. When I started this project I was planning on using the original hatches and port lights well I have ordered all new stainless. She is going to be great when finished I am projecting October 2008 in water. Thanks John for the welcome. Jack
Old 04-09-2006, 21:55   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome aboard Jack:

Sounds like a nice boat that you are working on. Is it Glass or wood? I live in the foothills between Tahoe and Sac. My boat is up in Vancouver BC. We plan on leaving it up there for awhile and then sailing down the coast to Mexico. Maybe we can hookup for your splash in in 2008. Lots of knowledge hear. Living so far from the ocean this site keeps me sane(reasonably so anyway.)

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:49   #5

Thanks Charlie the boat is built of glass. Stop by for a visit any time you are in SD.

Jack