Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2009, 18:49   #1

Just an Introduction

Hello everyone, just another newbie here.
I am seeking any and all information one would have to help me realize a 20 plus year dream.
I would like to build a sailboat with the intention of living on board and sailing around the world. Notice I said "like to", I do realize building a seaworthy boat is not a small undertaking. But I have looked around enough to know it can be done, just not nearly as romantic as it sounds in all likelihood. A lot more work than romance if you know what I mean. Granted the romance is probably way sweeter in the end when you do.
I am a complete newbie on this as the only sailboat I have ever been underway on was the Coast Guard Cutter Eagle. It was a short 6 day stay where I was working on the ships electronics and in no way had anything to do with the actual navigation and sailing of the ship.
Like I said, this is a dream I have had for over 20 years, there is no actual sailing experience in these dreams. Granted I have been underway on ships and boats of all persuasions when it comes to power boats, sail is another story.
Anyway, feel free to leave me any tips or ask any questions.
Dale
Oneday Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 18:59   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Hello Dale and welcome.

Take your ideas to the many forums here. I'm sure you will get many informed responses to your thoughts or questions regarding building your own boat.

My tip would be to carefully consider the costs of buying a solid used boat against the cost of construction and also resale value. I find sadly many of us end up selling our "forever" boats before we hoped.

All the best and again welcome.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 19:05   #3

Thanks, I have not figured enough out to intelligently post in a specific forum, but I may try to do so in the near future.

Your response seems to be the "theme" to the idea I have had and I do readily admit, this is a "dream" maybe even a "pipe dream" LOL. If it ever does come to fruition, I will not be looking to sale it so the value will never be realized. I am likely 15 years away from actually being able to set sail, so I got a bit of time. But I am seeing that it is highly likely that I would have a better chance saving money for the next 15 years and buying a seaworthy boat than building one.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Oneday Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 19:35   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It is good to see you are thinking ahead. I've often considered building my own boat, but when I look at he cost, man hours, potential to screw up and resale, compared to used boats, it's hard not to consider used boats. One thing I think planning your own boat does, that is wonderful is that it makes you realize what you'd really like in a boat and you can then compare that to what might be available. If you have time, you can continue to play these ideas off each other. Years ago, fiberglass and plywood were relatively cheap and production boats more expensive. Things have changed since then. Who knows what options might be out there in another 10 years or so.

Again, - there are many knowledgeable people here. Take advantage of what they have to offer.

I've used a few sailing forums and this is by far the best and most open-minded I've seen.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 19:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha One day,
Welcome aboard! I think Nautical has given some good advice and I will chime in to say that it is really good idea to start saving your money and buy a boat ready to sail when the time comes. This is something you've come up with and a great thought. In the meantime you can find some sailing classes and do lots of research. Also you can find a marina and start talking with boat owners to find out more about sailboats.
Good luck in your quest.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 00:51   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I will also chime in here by first welcoming you to the forum and secondly to say I have built 2 steel sailboats from scratch for myself and helped a friend with another as well as a total rebuild from the keel up of 2 F/G sailboats. The advice I offer is this...Start by building yourself a 10 ft. dinghy that will will need on your boat anyway. See how much time it takes you. Multiply that time by 50 and know that ecstatically the way the dinghy turns out is the way your cruiser will look also.
I can also tell you that you can by an older 35 footer for $35K and totally rebuild it for another $35K (totaling $70K) and have a wonderful boat that will take you anywhere. If you were to put $70K into a DIY boat, you would only be about 2/3 of the way there and impossible to sale.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote