Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 20:26   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: La Paz!!!

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 21:10   #17

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobc View Post
...This all said… I just want to find someone who is living down there with a good head on their shoulders (and a sense of adventure!) who would be good at finding what I’m looking for. Someone I can talk to on the phone with.
I wish you the best. It may be hard for anyone to find your exact desired boat. There might not be one.

A good broker will decide if or not you are serious (and pliable) so that he can show you a boat which you will love and purchase. His or her sense of adventure ends when they decide that it is unlikely that you will buy anything. Then they won't call you back anymore.

If you do buy some thing it won't match what you thought you wanted, but you will say, "it's perfect...etc, I knew it from the moment I saw it. etc etc."
Old 12-07-2022, 00:25   #18

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hola amigos/amigas

Ive spent several seasons in 'The Sea'. Know La Paz quite well. For a larger town it is quite nice. The malacon is a great beach promenade which is used by locals and us grengos. On the landward side are many bars restaurants music venues etc.

walk down to the bus station and on Mayo 5 go 2 blocks up the hill to find the part of the town where Mexicans eat and hang out. Violence has decreased in recent years. From having multiply police murders and political assignations and bodies hung from bridges this year did not hear any gun shots at all.

Also the military patrols are much fewer and less heavily armed than in previous years. So things seem to be getting better. But you are in Mexico and don't forget it ask for trouble and you will find it. There are many out there who kill without conscience. having said that the vast majority of Mexicans are hard working decent human beings. just nice.

Chartering a boat in La Paz is expensive. But much cheaper than buying one. one that can accommodate 8 is going to cost you. A yard to the North of the Malicon called Bercovich has many boats that have been left for years.

Just be aware that you are buying someones else problems. Boats left don't age well. Also as romantic as it seems it does take some knowledge and even in a good boat, not an easy environment to enjoy without some understanding add to it that charts (maps of the sea) are very poor in Mexico Electronic and paper and it becomes an interesting propersition.

Also the anchorages offer some great spots but none of them are 360 proof. Add to it hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions at this time of year a skippered charter would be a far better bet.

The area is great and far fewer boats will be out there this time of year so the islands will be more secluded and special. Incredible beautiful place. Just not a Disney land, its wild and wonderful, enjoy but it can bite you in the Gluteus Maximus
Old 12-07-2022, 11:31   #19

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Jersey Girl has apparently been sold and hasn’t been in Marina La Paz for at least a month.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Jersey Girl has apparently been sold and hasn’t been in Marina La Paz for at least a month.
Jersey Girl has been sold and is in Abora's shipyard. Will be repainted and renamed and quite a bit of other work being performed.
Old 12-07-2022, 15:10   #21

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Jersey Girl has been sold and is in Abora's shipyard. Will be repainted and renamed and quite a bit of other work being performed.
Do you know if she will go back on charter? Ken/dra was always a good neighbor to the fleet.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 16:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Do you know if she will go back on charter? Ken/dra was always a good neighbor to the fleet.
The new owners plan to liveaboard in the Sea if Cortez. They have spoken of travelling to Puerto Penasco but frankly, their plans are not firm. It does not appear that they have an interest in chartering.
Old 12-07-2022, 16:45   #23

Boat: Looking

Thanks Adelie. Took your advice and updated my profile.

Thanks wingssail. Definitely not looking to buy!

Thanks North Pacific for painting a great picture of La Paz. Really excited to soak it up. Beyond grateful it’s not “Disneyland”

Again not looking to buy. I just was hoping to find someone who knew a great person to talk to who can help me find the right charter.

Tags
la paz