Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2022, 11:36   #1

Boat: Looking
La Paz!!!

Ahoy! Looking for folks to talk to in La Paz. Coming down late July early August with some buddies and looking for some advice on getting on a sailboat. While we’re down to charter a boat with a captain.. go fishing.. etc… the 8 of us would rather BUY some cheap boat and have fun teaching ourselves. We do some pretty adventurous stuff every year and are the right combination of discerning and cautious and yet like to challenge ourselves. I have a tiny bit of sailing experience.

Was advised to talk to boat brokers, check out listings, etc, etc. I always just sniff my way to the prize and have has great success just finding someone to call and chat with and then they tell me to call this other person and before you know it… things happen. So if you are in La Paz or know someone I can talk too … I’m all ears!!

Ahoy!!! - Jacob
jacobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 16:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: La Paz!!!

...And you think it would be safe to do this during hurricane season. You could be sending your bachelor to Davy Jones.

Since none of you have any experience as sailors, i think a crewed charter could give you a way better experience.

It is true Jim and I are conservative sailors, and also, that we have always avoided cyclone seasons like the plague. One year, there was a July wedding in the family, which he missed, to take care of the boat, which was in the Sea of Cortez. He felt unsafe in Puerto Escondido, the hurricane hole, because it was overcrowded, many of the boats were unmanned, and people used differing anchoring strategies, so that the boats did not swing together. He, and a few other cruisers also left. While I was at the wedding, a hurricane came and struck the Sea of Cortez. They do get them. He and the other guys survived okay, they anchored in protection from the first wind direction, and then had to shift after the eye went over them, to obtain protection from the new direction, so they all did okay, but it was EXCEEDINGLY UNPLEASANT and not over fast.

As it happens, a cyclone (southern hemisphere now) overtook us at Raoul Island, on May 5 one year -- out of season for the area. We learned that our boat at the time could not motor into 50 knots. Would you have a clue what to look for in a charter boat that would help you to do that?

How fast do you think you can buy and sell a boat in a foreign country anyhow?

I know you want to provide an adventure as in previous years, but time is too short for most of the preparatory homework most of us would recommend.

Ann
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:51   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

What Ann said. However, it is fun looking at boats. Tom at La Paz Yachts is a pretty good guy and could show you what they have in their inventory. That said, just enjoy the town and walk the docks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 15:49   #4

Thank you Ann and thank you Celestial Sailor. This is exactly why I wanted to come on this forum, to get exactly the sort of clear wisdom you gave. We certainly have no interest in doing anything unsure or unwise. The idea of buying a boat in such a short time was a wild whimsy anyway. I’m just very excited to treat my friend to a proper adventure.

Does anyone know any one in La Paz in the sailing community? Want to keep poking about and see if we can charter a boat. I still plan to go early to find someone if I can’t beforehand.
Old 10-06-2022, 15:56   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobc View Post
Thank you Ann and thank you Celestial Sailor. This is exactly why I wanted to come on this forum, to get exactly the sort of clear wisdom you gave. We certainly have no interest in doing anything unsure or unwise. The idea of buying a boat in such a short time was a wild whimsy anyway. I’m just very excited to treat my friend to a proper adventure.

Does anyone know any one in La Paz in the sailing community? Want to keep poking about and see if we can charter a boat. I still plan to go early to find someone if I can’t beforehand.
Unfortunately it's kind of the worst time of year for what you are planning, most cruisers in La Paz have either left their boats for the summer and flown elsewhere, or have moved way up into the North of the Sea of Cortez to avoid the heat and hurricanes.

Having said that, you could try checking out the cruisers morning coffee gatherings that happen at Club Cruceros every morning, I don't remember what time (9 I think?). It's at their clubhouse at Marina La Paz. You'll find a few people knocking around there and they will have contacts.
Old 10-06-2022, 16:53   #6

Thank you Alctel! That’s exactly the sort of information I’m looking for.

So… just to really check in about this… the heat. I have been told the trick is to get up early and then siesta it up midday and then come back out in the evening. Is it possible to do this and still have a fantastic and comfortable enough time? Or are we simply headed to a place to be miserable?

I was told it’s secretly a great time to go… less tourists, more vibrant local vibe. Def don’t want to go if it’s just awful and the town is dead, etc.
Old 10-06-2022, 18:15   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Another very good contact in La Paz is Rich at La Paz Cruiser's supply in Marina Palmira. He is a broker, chandler and watermaker constructor/expert. He has excellent contacts with all boat-related crafts in La Paz. If you are looking for a boat there, you can't do better.

https://lapazcruiserssupply.com/
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 18:41   #8

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

there is a slim chance I may make it down there this fall, like November/December timeline.

We will see, still trying to finish a refit right now.
Old 10-06-2022, 20:03   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If you go to "Club Cruceros" in La Paz where Marina La Paz is, you can probably find a day sail person if you are discreet.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 13:36   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A bachelor party? discreet?

Really?

Ann
Old 11-06-2022, 13:46   #11

Thank you jamhass and Celestialsailor for the great potential leads. I will be following them up!

Ann… I understand what the phrase “bachelor party” invokes. Language is powerful and can shape a potential story and narrative in other peoples minds. This is a group of mindful men all of whom do things to help others in their lives. Work with the mentally handicapped, work in a lab seeking cures, do good hearted things. Several are committed to sobriety and others are headed deeply towards that path. It is quite the opposite of what you are maybe imagining. We considered volunteering at an orphanage for the catharsis we are seeking. We just happen to have always wanted to go sailing too.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:58   #12

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Jersey Girl charters out of Marina La Paz. Not sure if the boat can accommodate 8 singles. It is really hot in La Paz late July- early August, and you are approaching peak hurricane season.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 13:12   #13

Thanks AndyEss for the potential lead.

So… my roommate is suddenly seeing a bunch of articles about how crime and cartel activity has increased a lot in the past few years in La Paz. Trying to get a boots on the ground sense of the reality there. Has anyone here been there recently? Any clues on this? Are these legitimate fears?
Old 12-06-2022, 15:09   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobc View Post
Thanks AndyEss for the potential lead.

So… my roommate is suddenly seeing a bunch of articles about how crime and cartel activity has increased a lot in the past few years in La Paz. Trying to get a boots on the ground sense of the reality there. Has anyone here been there recently? Any clues on this? Are these legitimate fears?
We are in La Paz at this moment. We've been cruising in the Sea of Cortez for the last three months, La Paz is our latest stop. We've been here for two weeks. We've also been here on previous cruises, going back to 1997.

In my opinion La Paz, and most places in Mexico, are relatively safe. You can get your pocket picked or your purse stolen anywhere, including La Paz, but most people here, tourists included, go about their daily business here just the same as they would in the US. I would not recommend going about town at 2:00AM drunk trying to score some drugs; you might attract attention you don't want. There are "narco" activities in Mexico. I've never been aware of any where I've been nor has anyone I know been affected in any way by that type of criminal activity.

As for the climate here in the summer, it is definitely hot. Depending on your tolerance for being hot you may or may not enjoy La Paz. At least it is less humid here in Baja than other places in the tropics, including the rest of Mexico.

We usually try to stay in the shade or in air conditioning during the day. After 6:00 PM it is cooler. This is the "low" season. That's because few visitors come here in the summer. It's better in the high season, starting in November, but we live in Mexico all year long. So do a few million Mexicans. Most gringos however, are not willing to tolerate it. While sailing you need sun cover.

Sailing, Chartering, buying a boat.
I'm glad you seem to have dropped the idea of buying a boat. Boat ownership is a big responsibility and nothing to be undertaken on a lark and for a short term need I'm sure you would not be happy with the responsibilities which go along with ownership.

You can charter a vessel, and for 8 people maybe two vessels, with captains. Any of the charter companies based in La Paz (google) will be able to talk to you.

Hurricanes. Yes, this is Hurricane season. They are always predicted several days ahead of time, and you might have to cut your charter or visit short. The charter companies will discuss this with you.

Good luck
Old 29-06-2022, 15:34   #15

Going to look for a contact in La Paz I can call and work with to find us exactly what we are looking for. Most happy to pay the right person for their time!

We want to charter a boat with a captain… probably not overnight, want to go explore the islands, snorkel, fish… just really looking to help someone out who has a boat and wants to take us out. I’m repelled in general by anything touristy!

This all said… I just want to find someone who is living down there with a good head on their shoulders (and a sense of adventure!) who would be good at finding what I’m looking for. Someone I can talk to on the phone with.

Tags
la paz