Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 14:38   #1

Boat: 2001 Silverton453
Lake Ontario to Florida?

I have a 2001 Silverton 453 MY in Lake Ontario that is upgraded way beyond recovery by a sale in this boat market. Does anyone know of any charter companies in Florida or the Islands that will maintain and charter your boat out for you? Secondly, I would then be in need of getting my boat to Florida and may entertain allowing a seasoned boater a month to get it there provided they pay the expense of the trip. Would love to do it myself but no time.
greencom8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 14:59   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Lake Ontario to Florida?

Not to throw too much cold water on your parade, but consider the following:

1. Forget "The Islands". It will be way too expensive to get it there.

2. Forget someone taking it down to Florida at their expense. At the very, very least you are going to have to pay for fuel, maintenance and marinas. You probably are going to have to pay for the captains time and maybe his crew and provisions for almost a month.

3. There are a few charter companies in Florida. SW Florida Yachts is one. They may or may not take your boat on. Their inventory is more Mainship, Grand Banks, Krogen, but I do see a Cruisers which should be similar. They will charge you for all significant maintenance beyond washing and waxing, take a percentage (roughly 40%) of the charter income and give you the rest. When you finally try to sell, it will be worth less (maybe a lot less) than when you signed up with them.

So my advice is to cut your price, take your losses and get out now.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:06   #3

Boat: HATTERAS 50c, 55'aol

Better check with your insurance company before you turn your boat over to "Captain Ron" type skipper. Most all insurance companies will want to know if the skipper is a USCG License Captain with the correct tonnage and areas of experience. No Captain probably means no insurance. Delivery Captains usually charge by the day anywhere from $250-400 plus cost of the crew depending on the boat AND plus all expenses. Depending on speed anywhere from 1.3 to 2.5 gal per mile... Florida is a long ways south. There are a number of locks; tow barges; sandbars; incorrect maps and a hurdle of other things that come up such as unexpected repairs. A pro Captain would not do such a move on his own paying for all costs and no pay. Wishful thinking of your part though, nice try!
captseamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:08   #4

Charter vessels take a HUGE HIT on resale price...
Old 15-07-2013, 15:11   #5

Thanks for your input David. My home is in Fla, just in Lake Ont here in the summer so can use the boat there 8 months a year. Not sure what you meant by the Islands" too expensive to get it there"? During my 10 years of boating in South Florida, our Bahama runs were less than Toronto to Kingston costs. Were you referring to winter dockage? I appreciate your response. Probably right about cutting price but have done that too many times already aand not interested in giving the boat away. Great market to buy but lousy to sell. Cheers
Old 15-07-2013, 15:25   #6

Thanks for input everyone. Only put it out there as a fellow Lake Ont boater 4 years ago did that with his boat and the couple that brought it to Fla for him were retired and former big boat owners who had always wanted to make the trip with their boat but had sold it and weren't getting back into boating. They had a great time and the boat was cleaner then when it left. I may be dreaming and don't want " Capt Ron" but my Capt said he would scrutinize any interested couples. Obviously we would be very picky and would have a rider on my insurance to cover them. Have one couple out of Toronto already considering it. Wanted to do it in their own boat but don't want to have to bring it back, but would like the adventure and holiday.My boat is a US registered boat by the way, not a Cdn boat
Old 15-07-2013, 16:02   #7

Your insurance company will want a license captain piloting your vessel without a doubt. A rider on your insurance policy to take control of a 46ft vessel IMHO isn't going to happen without the licensed captain. If the crap hits the fan and someone gets hurt in a boating accident its the insurance company's butt along with YOURS on the line. Your insurance company will want a charter captain that is experience and legal in the eyes of the USCG. Mom and Pop couple who been boating forty years but still no license won't cut it when the accident happens. You will be become mincemeat in a court of law.. If your insurance covers 1Mil in liability the other attorney will ask for 3Mil.. Do you really want to go through what Zimmerman just did?

When I bought my last boat I went from 36 to 55ft and needed 40 hours of captain's training to just cruise it off the dock. I was able to get out of that by showing my captain papers...

good luck...
Old 15-07-2013, 16:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

[QUOTE=captseamus;1285931]Better check with your insurance company before you turn your boat over to "Captain Ron" type skipper. Most all insurance companies will want to know if the skipper is a USCG License Captain with the correct tonnage and areas of experience. No Captain probably means no insurance. Delivery Captains usually charge by the day anywhere from $250-400 plus cost of the crew depending on the boat AND plus all expenses. QUOTE]

Myself and several other Transport Canada Licensed Masters that I know in this line of work charge $450.00 per day plus all and I do mean ALL expenses from the time I leave my front door til' the time I walk through it again.
Old 07-09-2013, 22:00   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Tags
florida, ontario