Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:37   #16
KEG

We discussed building a boat because the canoe was so much fun. Then reality set in. I have moved past finding a project to finding something that has newer sails, decent hull and most amenities already included. If the bright work needs touching up, it needs rewiring and the tiller is bad no problem but a structural rebuild is out of the question. Recently I have been looking at Catalina’s and Hunter’s in the 23’ to 28’ range. I’m thinking a 25’ Catalina fixed keel with a tall rig might fit the ticket. If I can find one that is priced right but needs sails they are readily available. There is a lot to consider but also lots of options. I know that I will find the perfect boat 2 weeks after I buy one.

Matthew
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 13:09   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Looks like you are on the right track. Be very cautious about someone who wants to capsize anything larger than a sailing dinghy. Talk to him before you include your wife in some of these wild rides because he could just scare the "h" out of her and she won't want to step on the deck of another boat ever. There are good sail trim lessons to be learned from a racer but cruising safety is not one of the lessons he'll be into unless he's done something other than racing.
"Start Sailing Right!" is a really great basic book that'll get you going.
kind regards,
Old 08-01-2011, 13:51   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
19' Trailer/sailer?

Have you considered a 19' trailer/sailer?

22' seems to be the practical maximum size but 19' looks (others will know better!) to be OK for 2 for a weekend and much easier to tow with smaller vehicles.

Could fit in the driveway and small and light enough to tow for a few hundred miles.

Cost would be about as low as one can get on a micro cruiser...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:18   #19
KEG

Skiprjohn; thanks for the book suggestion. We just got a copy of Chapman Piloting for study and Charlies Charts North to Alaska to keep the dream alive.

My friend might be a bit nuts sounding but he is also a realist. We have talked a lot since and he knows not to scare the wife and safety first. He told me the first lesson will be to reef early and know where safe anchorages are at all times if the weather is uncertain. I also agree with his suggesting knowing how to right a boat. It might sound nuts but if you need to do so, that's not the time to learn. From his description it isn't to tough depending on the boat. He offered to go out on his boat for a lot of it.

Boracay; space isn't really a concern. I own 2 lots and right now only one has buildings. We are checking into putting up a 32x50 garage/shop on our second lot. If that doesn't work out we will buy a commercial building in town. I would never consider towing anything with an improper vehicle. A Dodge 1 ton 4x4 diesel megacab dually would be my truck of choice. Couple that to a low slung fifth wheel trailer and towing becomes a comfort.

Right now, I am getting everything together to build a pram. I have made my choice of design and should be ready to get started in a couple of weeks. Pram first because if we get something with 6 feet of draft, it's a long way to shore.

Matthew
Old 08-01-2011, 17:52   #20

Welcome aboard Matthew. My wife, the kids and I too are landlocked dreamers. We have been hoping to sell it all and sail away. Best of luck with the Pram. Keep your eye on the goal.

Best Regards,
DJ
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:23   #21

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Welcome Aboard.

Keep some ready cash in the bank, just in case. You never know when a good boat will fallin your lap. I found mine on Craigslist, and I know the second and bigger boat is out there.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:30   #22
KEG

Hey DJ, selling it all isn't in my plans. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. Hopefully I don't have to.

The pram will be easy. I built a cedar strip canoe last year and the pram is similar construction. I figure a couple of hundred hours plus materials and I will have a nice pram. Pad the gunnels to prevent scratching and all will be good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4245.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	22666
Old 08-01-2011, 18:41   #23

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I still have the nutshell pram I built with my father years ago. It was the first boat either of us built, but the memories are awesome.

One thing about the pram, it would go like the wind, but it would capsize if you let your mind drift for an instant.

Good luck with your project.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote