Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 21:50   #1

Long Time Trucker Looking to Swap 18 Wheels for a Rudder and a Keel

Hi all!

My name is Ed (aka Steertire) and I have been a trucker for about 15 years. I have always been fascinated with sailing and possibly being a full time live aboard sailer. The few times I have had time off work I have had some opportunities to check out some different types of watercraft from trawlers to motor-sailers, I have noticed that most of the marinas I have been to with numerous slips have a boat in every slip! Even on a really nice day!

Heck why isn't everyone out on the water? I did grow up sailing local lakes in Texas and have been out on the Pacific on a 22 foot bobber racing sailboat. I haven't had the time or opportunity to buy a boat yet and don't want to buy anything until I know exactly what I want, so I haven't been able to access the piers to get to know anyone who is living aboard so hopefully this forum will make that possible.

I look forward to some informational reading here in this forum and some good times ahead!
-Steertire
Steertire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 22:10   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Hi Steertire,

Welcome. Somewhere in your chosen name is a story about trucking, or steers?

I recommend you try and get your hands on a copy of a book called The Livaboard
Report. I bought one at West Marine about 10 years ago. So it might be a bit dated, but still helpful I think.

As I've said here before, the learning curve is steep and expensive. Oh, the money I have trashed aquiring debris. You will hopefully keep the cost of your learning curve down with what you learn here.
Old 02-05-2010, 23:07   #3

i too have been trucking for a few years,,in nz and australia though,also 16 yrs in engine room on ships
started with yachts age 19yrs,,now 57yrs.lived aboard for 1 year on a 31 foot yacht,,,dont wonder ,just do,
bruce
hux9800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:52   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
There's not much the old time trucker can't do with engines, knots, and woodwork.
If you've been one of the independent breed of long distance fellas than you'll hardly notice the difference, except the cabins bigger than you cab, but the view doesn't change so quickly, and you get much more time to look out the side windows.
Just hang around your local marina boatyard as much as you can and you'll soon come across the boat that looks right. If there are boats 'in progress' (actually in progress not just lying there all neglected) those are the chaps to point you in the right direction. Maybe try a small boat first, from a land base, and learn sailing and your local waters. It's not necessary, it's just cheaper to back out of. And the more you are in and out of the marina, even it's only for fishing trips, the more you'll add to your boating knowledge.
Avoid the resurrection projects, they are like old cars. Beautiful, but when it's done all you've got is a brand new old car. 28ft is liveable solo. 35ft is comfortable for two. Cats are longer inside than outside and usually better equipped for living.
I know a few happy couples and singles that live aboard in our marina. The summers are much better than the winters here, but the costs are much lower than shore based and if you don't like the neighbours you just move. No big deal. Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Avoid the resurrection projects, they are like old cars. Beautiful, but when it's done all you've got is a brand new old car. .
Well, that's a whole other topic. Lots of people refitting older boats with what they consider good reasons.

When I finished the bulk of the refit of my 30+ year old boat, I got remarks like "It looks like it just came out of the mold" and "You can only tell it's age by the classic lines".
Old 03-05-2010, 09:33   #6

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Nothing against it, but I'm sure there are plenty of unfinished projects around you too. I love the old boats, but I'd rather be sailing. I moor by a derelict 1942 MTB, the hard has 7 out of ten 'unlikely' projects that seem to have stalled. And there's a lovely 'maybe Mauritania' lifeboat that's being rebuilt as a live aboard motor launch for the second time.
I have enough issues with keeping my own boat ready for use without having to strip planks, ribs and refurbish engines. I admire those that do, those that do get the job done.
My compliments to you for preserving one of the old style timber classics. (Mines believed to be 1968 build).
Old 03-05-2010, 18:25   #7

Thanks to those who said howdy!

I tend to be interested in a boat that doesn't need a lot of work to get er' going. I am a hard worker and have my share of project cars, trucks, and small boats (22 footers and under). I am thinking that, like a truck, everytime you use the boat, it develops wear and tear. I just replaced the steertires on my bigrig and that set me back a cool grand. I get about a year out of a set of steers.

The big difference between my rig and the boat is that the rig makes me money so I get paid to travel, in a way. I don't anticipate having the same opportunities on the boat so my main concern is efficiency and picking the right boat. Unfortunately, I know from experience, that these things can only be learned the hard way by trial and error. Afterall, who knows what I like more than me?

Otherwise I have been reading numerous stories about people who are lost at sea or have had their tails rescued by the coast guard because their boat capsized and they managed to get out alive. This is also like the trucking industry. I have been driving over 2 million miles and I know that there are people who come into the trucking industry who have no business being there and they are lucky to live through it and that sometimes the repairs you recieve are only as good as the person repairing them and your ability to spot any mistakes that they have made.

That being said I can always park my truck whereas while underway to a destination in a boat, someone must be at the helm at all times. Very demanding to say the least. My point is that once you understand all of the pitfalls of something, then you can learn to avoid them and actually enjoy yourself. That is my goal here.
Steertire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
My compliments to you for preserving one of the old style timber classics. (Mines believed to be 1968 build).

Eleven,

If that compliment was for me, thanx, but I don't do wood. Very gracious of you.

Your "brand new old boat" comment fits me. But I do have a boat that I have updated to what works for me. Even to the point of replacing teak handrails with stainless and plastic framed port lights with Lewmars. She does not look her age, inside or out.

Bottom line for me- No mortgage payment and a thick hulled boat that I know very well. What I didn't trash in interest payment, I trashed in my learning curve. (speaking past tense as though it will ever be done)
Old 05-05-2010, 22:05   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard,
Truckers are welcome here too. My brother did the independent thing and has lots of stories. I tell him stuff about he Navy and sailing and he tells me trucker stories. All fun.
regards,