Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 17:21   #1

looking for a partner

hola amigos!

i am new to sailing and just bought a san juan 24. i plan to set sail on a round the world journey in about a year. the only thing missing is a partner.

if anyone has some suggestions for finding an attractive woman to share this journey with me, i'd be greatful!

also, do you have some suggestions about learning how to sail? i live in south florida.

gracias amigos!
NewCruiserGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 17:33   #2

Re: looking for a partner

a friend told me there is a dating section on your forum... where is this? i can't find it
Old 26-11-2013, 17:47   #3

Boat: Island Packet 27
Good luck to ya. I decided to go alone as it just seems easier...although the invitation is still out for Sandra Bullock should she care to cruise with me.

As far as learning to sail, I'm one of those that doesn't like formal instruction. I read everything I could get my hands on. The first time I was ever on a sailboat was when I bought a little 25' C&C, moved on board, and took off. It was a learning experience for sure. If you take your time and you're smart you will do just fine. It's really not rocket science to tell you the truth. I think with living aboard and cruising long distance, you have to have a certain personality and a survival instinct. I have to know how everything works and how to fix everything. If I can't fix something, I can always improvise. I've since moved to a larger boat and I'm living on it full time. I wanted a good boat that would handle more than I could. All the systems are very basic. I don't want to work on things...I want to enjoy sailing.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 17:52   #4

thanks captain tim!

very interesting suggestions... i'm a mechanic by trade so i'm confident about being able to fix things, but i wonder how i'll handle those lonely nights at sea and at anchor if there's no "better half" to keep me busy... having a broadband internet connection will help i guess if going it alone...
Old 26-11-2013, 18:07   #5

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

Check this bloke out..
Obsessed Turkish sailor's eight month sea odyssey to find British love - Telegraph

He stopped off in Portugal and a mate gave him some tobacco cause he smoked all his tealeaves..
He was sailing through the med with extracted strret maps from google and photocopied sheets from street dirctories from the car..
If he can do that in his little boat with loose rattling rigging and shitty sails- Any body can do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCruiserGuy View Post
thanks captain tim!

very interesting suggestions... i'm a mechanic by trade so i'm confident about being able to fix things, but i wonder how i'll handle those lonely nights at sea and at anchor if there's no "better half" to keep me busy... having a broadband internet connection will help i guess if going it alone...
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 18:20   #6

I think it would be easier to meet someone along the way. You may run into someone who is also single handing her boat. Who knows? If you do, see if she has a friend and send her my way. I certainly meet people along the way and have a great time. While cruising I have plenty to keep me busy. I treat my boat as my home and my life so I'm always watching out for her. I read a lot. I make cooking meals a priority and the planning and preparation take time. I learned how to do celestial navigation so taking sights when I can and figuring out how accurate I am takes time. I am always watching the water and trying to learn the sea and the weather. I envy those sailors like Joshua Slocum and Tristan Jones who could sail for days or weeks and just sort of feel there way across an ocean so I'm always trying to be more like that. Don't laugh, I also crochet...yes I sure do. I learned a long time ago when I was little. It just passes the time and takes my mind off things...(don't tell anybody please). Anyways, I'm never really bored when I'm out. Exhausted yes... But not bored. I'm rather new to all this and many people on here have far greater experience than I do but I'm just giving you my perspective.
Old 26-11-2013, 18:58   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
hola amigos!

i am new to sailing and just bought a san juan 24. i plan to set sail on a round the world journey in about a year. the only thing missing is a partner.

if anyone has some suggestions for finding an attractive woman to share this journey with me, i'd be greatful!

also, do you have some suggestions about learning how to sail? i live in south florida.

gracias amigos!
Gees! I really hate to throw a wrench in your gears but I think your expectations are a bit hi.

You're not going to get very far on a 24' sailboat, especially if you're a new sailor. A good portion of us on here have been sailing for a long time and would not attempt a circumnavigation on such a boat unless it were for a media stunt and/or sponsored with a support boat.

Also an attractive woman would have better things to do with her life then live in those conditions. So good luck with that. It's hard enough trying to find a woman that would spend more then a day aboard an over sized dinghy. Where would she keep her wardrobe?

As for learning to sail there are some organizations in FL that give classes. That should be your first step to the long climb of being confident/competent enough to just go off shore.
Old 26-11-2013, 19:00   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Welcome to CF. Good luck, hope you have a happy life.
Old 26-11-2013, 19:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
hola amigos!

gracias amigos!
An inflatable wouldn't take up much space.
Old 26-11-2013, 19:22   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Gots to have guts......... Have been thru some crap in our 42 that I'd never live thru on a 24......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 19:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

Also an attractive woman would have better things to do with her life then live in those conditions. So good luck with that. It's hard enough trying to find a woman that would spend more then a day aboard an over sized dinghy. Where would she keep her wardrobe?
I guess you have never cruised the philippines.

But on a more serious note, if your in your 20s or 30s its not that hard. Just do some backpacking on the side while travelling on your yacht. they soon realise travelling by sail boat is superior to walking around with a big stupid looking pack and paying to stay in scummy hostels!
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 19:43   #12

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

This is how horror movies start out.....
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 19:44   #13

"Got to have guts"... Isn't that a true statement. When I say I live on a boat and sail, everyone comes back with "Oh how cool...I would love to do that." I know in their minds they are picturing a catamaran anchored in a snug little lagoon...kayaks tied up behind the boat...Jimmy Buffet playing in the radio...tiki torches burning in the background...and a happy little couple drinking Piña Coladas on deck while watching the sun set. If they only knew the truth. It's scary as heck out there sometimes, you're on your own, and your tired...and wanting a XL Dunkin Donuts Coffee but you are settling for Folders Instant.... Living the dream
Old 27-11-2013, 00:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
Check this bloke out..
Obsessed Turkish sailor's eight month sea odyssey to find British love - Telegraph

He stopped off in Portugal and a mate gave him some tobacco cause he smoked all his tealeaves..
He was sailing through the med with extracted strret maps from google and photocopied sheets from street dirctories from the car..
If he can do that in his little boat with loose rattling rigging and shitty sails- Any body can do it...
that reminds me of the crazy russian guy who sailed a boat just like mine from the pacific north west to hawaii recently. he bought the boat for $500, and had about as much experience sailing as i do. used a cheap handheld gps to find hawaii!

at least i plan to learn how to sail before setting off on long passages!

having a partner to do this with will be the icing on the cake though...
Old 27-11-2013, 04:29   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NewCruiserGuy.

A circumnavigation, or any transoceanic passage, may be a little ambitious in a SJ24. Think storage capacity (food, water, fuel, etc).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote