Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 12:25   #1

Boat: Bock, 14'
Lurking, Researching, and Writing

Hello,
I’m mostly a lurker at this point, but I may as well introduce myself so that when I start posting questions I won’t be a complete stranger. I’m more of a sailor wannabe, and, as my profile indicates, I have minimal sailing experience, but that hasn’t stopped me from writing stories that entail some sailing. In the past I have found online forums a great place to research and to connect with those who have first-hand, practical knowledge, so that’s why I’m here, even if a bit prematurely as I haven’t begun writing the sailing portion of my current work. So, I’m lurking, listening and observing for the time being…
Old 02-10-2015, 13:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Lurking, Researching, and Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBChicoine View Post
Hello,
I’m mostly a lurker at this point, but I may as well introduce myself so that when I start posting questions I won’t be a complete stranger. I’m more of a sailor wannabe, and, as my profile indicates, I have minimal sailing experience, but that hasn’t stopped me from writing stories that entail some sailing. In the past I have found online forums a great place to research and to connect with those who have first-hand, practical knowledge, so that’s why I’m here, even if a bit prematurely as I haven’t begun writing the sailing portion of my current work. So, I’m lurking, listening and observing for the time being…
Howdy JB and Welcome Aboard CF!

I enjoy art too.

I took a quick look at your website and blog and was impressed by your talent in writing and painting watercolors. You have a very nice eye and talent for portraits and detailed paintings!

You may find it interesting that there are some other writers here too, though at the moment I can't recall their names, except for one who wrote a non-fiction book about sailing. Occasionally a book (fiction or non-fiction) will be published by a CF member, but the rules of the forum make it difficult to know that as it is not permitted to plug one's own work here.

So, I will help you as an independent third party who truly enjoys art, writing, and subjects nautical.

I was impressed that you have written several novels (seen on your blog/site). And I assume you painted the cover art for those. The covers look nice.

I noticed that one novel is about a shipwright. Hmmm…I wonder what the story is there. Perhaps you can tell us a bit about the plot here (in response to my honest question).

And I really like your painting of the books and spectacles. Nice!

While it is permissible to post photos in a photo album here on CF (each member can have several photo albums) or in group open albums, it is against the rules to publicly post one's own work in a self-promotion manner. For example, I paint too, and I uploaded about 30 examples of my work to my personal album, as a way of showing how much I love boats and as part of my personal profile here. But, that album is only viewable by my forum friends (which just takes an invitation and acceptance), and locked out from public view. That is in order to follow the rules of the forum. The reason for this is to prevent the forum from being overrun with sales pitches and spam and such. So, you could upload some examples of your work to a "private" album, but only your forum "friends" will be able to see them there.

I sincerely hope you have a great time here in the forum.

Since you say you want to learn more, I will pass on my favorite tips for newcomers below:

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.

I am confident if you spend some time trying different search terms (key words) using this method, you will find much advice and many tips.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 13:33   #3

SteadyHand,

Thank you so much for the welcome! And especially for the tips on the lay of the land here. It was really nice of you to take the time to look at my profile and blog/website—thank you so much for your kind words about my work. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your paintings, too.

As for my novel, Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright—since you did ask an honest question—it's about a peculiar young woman who shows up at Bed and Breakfast in Maine, the home of shipwright with family complications. The girl has far-fetched tales of shipwrecks and survival, which make her either incredibly imaginative or just plain delusional. It's kind of love story, some adventure, a bit of sailing—and it was my first published novel, so it has a special place in my heart.

A portion of the story I'm working on now entails a sailing trip from NOLA to Grand Cayman (with perhaps a stop over in Cuba) on a 60-70' Herreshoff with a young female captain in 1984. So, there's a lot I will need to research!

Thank you also for the SEARCH tips. That will really come in handy. Now, to reread your comment (there was a lot to absorb!)

...I just looked at your Websites—my jaw dropped. All I can say is "Wow!" which is really pathetic for a writer—I should be able to come up with something at least semi-eloquent.
Old 02-10-2015, 13:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBChicoine View Post
SteadyHand,

Thank you so much for the welcome! And especially for the tips on the lay of the land here. It was really nice of you to take the time to look at my profile and blog/website—thank you so much for your kind words about my work. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your paintings, too.

As for my novel, Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright—since you did ask an honest question—it's about a peculiar young woman who shows up at Bed and Breakfast in Maine, the home of shipwright with family complications. The girl has far-fetched tales of shipwrecks and survival, which make her either incredibly imaginative or just plain delusional. It's kind of love story, some adventure, a bit of sailing—and it was my first published novel, so it has a special place in my heart.

A portion of the story I'm working on now entails a sailing trip from NOLA to Grand Cayman (with perhaps a stop over in Cuba) on a 60-70' Herreshoff with a young female captain in 1984. So, there's a lot I will need to research!

Thank you also for the SEARCH tips. That will really come in handy. Now, to reread your comment (there was a lot to absorb!)
You are welcome! And, I give you are sincere welcome aboard as a fellow artist too!

Hey, I like your plot summary.
I can "see" it as Maine is known for some crazy boat builders, though it sounds like the main character (woman) in your plot is the one with the imaginative background.

I wonder where I would find the book? Sorry, I can't remember the actual title, something about searching for a shipwright. What is the title? EDIT Ooops! I just saw the title is up above.

Is it in an Amazon kindle version? Or just small pub hard cover or soft cover? Where would I find it?

Your new book (in progress)…
Woman as captain? Cool! I have a lot of admiration for female sailors and have known some good ones with admirable skills. I also love the Herreshoff designs. I spent some time on Cayman Brac, stayed with a local family back in about 1975 and had a great time there (small island community, nothing like Grand Cayman). Why 1984?
Old 02-10-2015, 13:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
You are welcome! And, I give you are sincere welcome aboard as a fellow artist too!

Hey, I like your plot summary.
I can "see" it as Maine is known for some crazy boat builders, though it sounds like the main character (woman) in your plot is the one with the imaginative background.

I wonder where I would find the book? Sorry, I can't remember the actual title, something about searching for a shipwright. What is the title? EDIT Ooops! I just saw the title is up above.

Is it in an Amazon kindle version? Or just small pub hard cover or soft cover? Where would I find it?

Your new book (in progress)…
Woman as captain? Cool! I have a lot of admiration for female sailors and have known some good ones with admirable skills. I also love the Herreshoff designs. I spent some time on Cayman Brac, stayed with a local family back in about 1975 and had a great time there (small island community, nothing like Grand Cayman). Why 1984?
Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright is available via Amazon (ebook and trade paperback), and any other online retailer (if I'm allowed to say that! )
The story is told in first person, from the shipwright's POV (point of view), but the peculiar girl is truly the protagonist. It was fun writing as a 30-some year old guy!

As for the story I'm working on, it is set in 1984 because it's the third book in a series which begins in 1977, and it simply happens to be where the plot falls chronologically. So, it makes research a little more challenging. The female captain is a new character—I believe she will end up playing the role of antagonist—a wild child who grew up in a boat and runs a family business sailing bareboat cruises. My main character will be taken on last minute as a cook! More research!

And can I say "Wow" one more time about your art and photography!
Old 02-10-2015, 13:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JB,

Here is an idea for you, what I would do if I were in your boat shoes.

There are also some "social groups" within the forum that are more focused on special interests. You can join the group (but in this case, I can't).

Since your book (in progress) is about a female skipper, this group may be helpful and interested in your book too.

Mermaids Group (206 members)
It is for women sailors and boat owners. It has 206 members. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - ~~Mermaids Group~~
Old 02-10-2015, 14:05   #7

Quote:
JB,

Here is an idea for you, what I would do if I were in your boat shoes.

There are also some "social groups" within the forum that are more focused on special interests. You can join the group (but in this case, I can't).

Since your book (in progress) is about a female skipper, this group may be helpful and interested in your book too.

Mermaids Group (206 members)
It is for women sailors and boat owners. It has 206 members. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - ~~Mermaids Group~~
That's awesome! I will bookmark that and definitely check it out! Meanwhile, I must log off—dinner time here in Michigan! And again, thank you so much for all your help. I look forward to keeping in touch!
Old 02-10-2015, 14:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JB,

There are several professional (and some retired) shipwrights in this forum as members. And several (or many) current or former "charter captains" too.

And a few interesting female characters (members) come to mind as well. I will send you a PM with a few names.

Hey, that's cool you wrote from the male POV too.
Old 02-10-2015, 14:15   #9

Quote:
JB,

There are several professional (and some retired) shipwrights in this forum as members. And several (or many) current or former "charter captains" too.

And a few interesting female characters (members) come to mind as well. I will send you a PM with a few names.

Hey, that's cool you wrote from the male POV too.
...Dinner can wait a few minutes...

I imagine there are a few shipwrights! When I was researching UNCHARTED, I posted quite a bit on the WoodenBoat forum, and it was immensely helpful. For my current needs, it seemed like a more specialized forum was the way to go, and from what you say, I think this is the place to be.

I'll look forward to your message—and now, as much as I'm enjoying this, I really do have to go!

Tags
arc, research