Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2014, 10:17   #1

Marine Artist From Canada

Hello, my name is Neil Hamelin and I am a professional marine artist from Vancouver Canada. Through my artwork I have developed a true passion for sailing, but have no experience in the subject outside of painting. Through joining this forum, I hope to learn as much as I can to help my wife and I with our long term plan to purchase a sailboat. As it is a subject that I am passionate about painting, and as I paint in a hyper-realism style, exposure to every detail helps in my understanding of all aspects of the subject. Forums like these are always full of diverse experience and knowledge and I'm glad I found it! Thank you!

Neil Hamelin
www.neilhamelin.com
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 12:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Marine Artist From Canada

Neil, Welcome to the community. What are you interested in regarding the sailboat? ... day sailing, open boat, with a cabin, cruising to new horizons?
Old 22-02-2014, 13:49   #3

Thank you for the welcome! I am fascinated by the idea of circumnavigating and read every book I find on the subject, however that is a long way off for us. I would like to learn enough to confidently get into a monohull that my wife and I could begin gaining experience while enjoying the incredible area we live in. Long term plans would be to live aboard and travel. Working as an artist, the job requires me to be out in inspiring areas capturing in paint, scenes that most do not get the opportunity to see in their daily lives. like many, work currently consumes every waking hour but I still have time to learn and dream!

Neil Hamelin
www.neilhamelin.com
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 12:11   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
There are lots of things to read here on the forum.
I checked out your home page there and although I love seeing boats in paintings the old Ford truck was a standout. Great painting!
Old 23-02-2014, 12:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
Thank you for the welcome! I am fascinated by the idea of circumnavigating and read every book I find on the subject, however that is a long way off for us. I would like to learn enough to confidently get into a monohull that my wife and I could begin gaining experience while enjoying the incredible area we live in. Long term plans would be to live aboard and travel. Working as an artist, the job requires me to be out in inspiring areas capturing in paint, scenes that most do not get the opportunity to see in their daily lives. like many, work currently consumes every waking hour but I still have time to learn and dream!

Neil Hamelin
www.neilhamelin.com
Neil : Do it simple, Do it slow, Do it now !

Being in the marine business I have known hundreds of people who had "the dream". Far too many of them "couldn't do it this year cause - Mom is sick - I have to work another 10yrs to get my pension - have to wait til' the kids are finished university - add your own excuse here !

The vast majority of these people waited til' they no longer needed an excuse, they simply became physically incapable.

We did it for almost 20yrs and thought we had another 20 to go .... well ship happens and we have had to abandon a life we loved.

Don't wait til' it's too late.

Tags
Canada, marine