Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 19:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 27-2
Mid-Life Obsession...

Hello everyone!
I'm 47 and have never sailed a day in my life. But suddenly I've become obsessed with sailing. I've owned a few boats before. I've owned a pontoon and a couple of ski boats, so I'm not completely new to boats. I also spent six years in the Navy, so I would be considered a Sailor. I don't know why the sudden interest in sailing. Just like the idea of being able to take off on a sailboat for a weekend (or longer). Even if its on a lake. So I'm going to take some lessons, and buy a boat. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Look forward to hearing from y'all.
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:39   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRags View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm 47 and have never sailed a day in my life. But suddenly I've become obsessed with sailing. I've owned a few boats before. I've owned a pontoon and a couple of ski boats, so I'm not completely new to boats. I also spent six years in the Navy, so I would be considered a Sailor. I don't know why the sudden interest in sailing. Just like the idea of being able to take off on a sailboat for a weekend (or longer). Even if its on a lake. So I'm going to take some lessons, and buy a boat. Any suggestions would be welcome!

I don't have any advice but you aren't alone. I've been a power boater for 20 years. But suddenly thinking of doing the same thing you are doing. I love my boat (36' Silverton 360 Express) but the idea of sailing long distances without fuel worries is appealing.

Good luck on your search for a boat and in the class. I'll be right behind you I hope!!!!
kmires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 21:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Mid-Life Obsession...

Quote:
Hello everyone!

You need the help of a professional..this is serious,seek medical attention immediatley and get a monohull!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19   #4

haha! I knew there was something wrong with me. "I gotta fever.... and the only cure is a monohull."
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31   #5

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Thank you for your service, and get a STEEL mono...
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:58   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

For inland sailing especially, there are many many inexpensive options. A couple thousand could get you a decent older mid to upper 20's size boat.

Something like a Cal 27 might be a good boat to toot around in on the lake. It'd also be capable of doing some coastal cruising:
1978 Cal 2-27 sailboat for sale in Maryland
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:24   #7

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

You are in Texas, right? First find a lake with water in it. Next, start saving now because once you are afflicted with this ailment, there is no cure and it will get very expensive.

Seriously though, if you have a significant other, get them involved. This lifestyle is much easier if you are both in the same boat!

A lesson is a great way to start. Once you are done with lessons and want to buy your first boat, start off with what I call a wet-ass boat. A Sunfish, Laser or similar. Start out on warm days(not a problem in Texas!), with little wind. Learn how to tip it over and right it again. Being comfortable with heeling is crucial for future fun. Go out on days with more and more wind to get used to how the baot and you react.

Above all, have fun.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:34   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My number one suggestion: DO NOT BUY A BOAT

Buying a boat has very little to do with learning to sail. If your objective is to sail then...go sailing...not boat shopping. Take lessons, make friends with sailors, join a sailing club, charter boats, crew in races, but don't buy a boat (at least not yet). You do not need to own a boat to learn to sail...there are plenty of them out there you can have access to without spending your time maintaining them.

I did a lot more sailing before I started buying boats. In fact, I was already a sailing instructor and charter captain before I bought my first mid-sized boat. That was about 20 years ago. What have I learned about sailing from boat ownership...not much, but boy have I learned a lot about boat maintenance.

What am I doing today...instead of sailing...sitting in a marina in Panama doing boat maintenance...not sailing. What did I learn about sailing today -- nada. But, I did learn that I can use Propylene Glycol to pickle my water maker! (Yee-F'ing-Ha!).

Learn a bit about sailing first, then maybe buy a small boat (less than 30' with no systems at all to maintain) and learn some more....
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:40   #9

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Belize! Sound advice! ++

Mauritz
Old 12-07-2013, 13:02   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Don't need no stinking experience to start sailing!!!!! I never had sailed, took some lesson, joined a club and sailed 33&34' boats for a few months. Then brought my first boat, a 39 footer, and now have a 43 footer.

So just go for it.

But there is still time to seek mental health help.
Old 12-07-2013, 13:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
You are in Texas, right? First find a lake with water in it. Next, start saving now because once you are afflicted with this ailment, there is no cure and it will get very expensive.

Seriously though, if you have a significant other, get them involved. This lifestyle is much easier if you are both in the same boat!

A lesson is a great way to start. Once you are done with lessons and want to buy your first boat, start off with what I call a wet-ass boat. A Sunfish, Laser or similar. Start out on warm days(not a problem in Texas!), with little wind. Learn how to tip it over and right it again. Being comfortable with heeling is crucial for future fun. Go out on days with more and more wind to get used to how the baot and you react.

Above all, have fun.

This is great advice, thanks. My wife is on board with the idea, but is a little more level headed about the whole thing. I live near a lake that's low but not like some others in the area. Already signed up for lessons which start later this month.
Old 12-07-2013, 13:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My number one suggestion: DO NOT BUY A BOAT

Buying a boat has very little to do with learning to sail. If your objective is to sail then...go sailing...not boat shopping. Take lessons, make friends with sailors, join a sailing club, charter boats, crew in races, but don't buy a boat (at least not yet). You do not need to own a boat to learn to sail...there are plenty of them out there you can have access to without spending your time maintaining them.

I did a lot more sailing before I started buying boats. In fact, I was already a sailing instructor and charter captain before I bought my first mid-sized boat. That was about 20 years ago. What have I learned about sailing from boat ownership...not much, but boy have I learned a lot about boat maintenance.

What am I doing today...instead of sailing...sitting in a marina in Panama doing boat maintenance...not sailing. What did I learn about sailing today -- nada. But, I did learn that I can use Propylene Glycol to pickle my water maker! (Yee-F'ing-Ha!).

Learn a bit about sailing first, then maybe buy a small boat (less than 30' with no systems at all to maintain) and learn some more....
haha! Great advice, thanks.
Old 12-07-2013, 13:57   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
This is great advice, thanks. My wife is on board with the idea, but is a little more level headed about the whole thing. I live near a lake that's low but not like some others in the area. Already signed up for lessons which start later this month.
Just noticed your are in Rockwall, TX....man you've got tons of options for learning to sail. Texas has one of the highest concentrations of sailboats on the planet and one of the highest concentrations of ASA sailing schools too.

I actually took my first sailing class, decades ago, at Chandlers Landing Sailing School right there in Rockwall on Lake Ray Hubbard. If they have still got their little fleet of J24's then that beats owning a boat...show up...sail a great little boat...go home...zero maintenance.

You may not know it yet, but there is a large, active sailing community in the DFW metropolitan area. Lake Texoma is big enough to be its own mini cruising ground and has several sailing clubs and schools. Check out Texoma Sailing Club at Grandpappy Point Marina (Texoma Sailing Club). Build some experience now and by next Spring you could be crewing in LakeFest Regatta....big event...great racing...big fun.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 13:59   #14

BTW, I'm near you and boat on Ray Hubbard as well (in my powerboat...lol). I'm considering the ASA classes at Rush Creek. They have them most weekends as far as I can tell.
Old 12-07-2013, 14:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If they have still got their little fleet of J24's then that beats owning a boat...show up...sail a great little boat...go home...zero maintenance.
RCYC has the J22's that you can rent for $20 on Sunday from 1-4p if you've taken their ASA classes.