Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 12:06   #1

Multi Function Display?

Hi there, my name is Hendrik, and I live in Christchurch New Zealand. I have an 18 ft Kestrel trailer sailer. The boat is in a pretty good shape, and have a boom tent too. Unfortunately there's no instruments what so ever. Any suggestions on a multi function display that can do everything please? I had a look at simrad nss8, but think that it's more for power boats. Then there's B&G. Any suggestions?
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 14:44   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Multi funtion display?

We are pleased with Garmin. Our unit handles the chartplotter, depth, radar, speed, fishfinder, SirusXM Weather & Radio, fuel consumption, etc.
Old 25-04-2014, 15:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

What more specifically do you want to know?

For example if all you want is speed over ground then you will need a GPS. If you want wind speed and direction then you will need an anemometer and wind vane.

There are MFD's that can read a NMEA sentence. So that might be helpful rather than getting a MFD that reads proprietary data sentences which would limit you to purchasing instruments from one manufacturer only. If an instrument produces NMEA 0186, then your MFD would be able to read it regardless of manufacturer. You might though need a multiplexer to input the data from the different sentences in to so that the MFD gets one stream of data which it can easily read.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 04:44   #4

I want to know if it's possible to to use a wind vane, through hull transducer, and the tp 22 tiller pilot only on the nss8 multi function display. Normally on the wind vane transducer you also need the display for it to show the wind speed and direction. The same with the through hull transducer you need the display to show you the water temperature and depth and I think current flow. On the ap24 auto pilot you need the rudder feedback, course computer, rate compass, and so on. What I want to know is if you can get away without all the displays, and only view what you want to know on the nss8? I've seen on YouTube that someone said that when you plot your route on the nss, and engage the auto pilot, that you don't need the auto pilot display anymore. Basically what is the least amount of components I can get away with that can do as much as possible on as little as possible displays?
Old 23-08-2014, 20:22   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Did you find what you need?
Old 23-08-2014, 20:44   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Welcome aboard Hendrik.

But seriously? An 18 foot boat?

Other than the gee whiz factor why do you think you need all this?

If you think it's to drive the autopilot you don't need all that. Most people use the autopilot in heading mode and are not coupled to the Nav system.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 00:55   #7

Hi there, it is to use with an auto pilot, but I also want to sail in complex environments in New Zealand. Fjord-land, Malbro sounds Cook strait, golden bay, and want to go from Christchurch to Waiheke island, that's about 1000km. I want to eventually circum navigate New Zealand. Any sugestions?

Tags
fun