Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 10:26   #1

My goal is live on a 10,000 euros sailboat

Hi, i’m from Brazil and i want to buy a boat that i can live on Europe for a few time. My plan is to get experience living, fixing and sailing with the boat, for someday i can come back to Brazil by crossing the Atlantic. I Would apriciate if you can give me tips about how to get a good deal with a sailboat in Europe, cheap places that i can work on the boat and anything related to that, because i dont have a big budget…

If you want to know more about me, im a psychologist, check my instagram page @psi.marcelotancini
Inicnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 10:47   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: My goal is live on a 10,000 euros sailboat

What is your budget for living on and repairing this 10,000 euro boat. Assuming it is a small boat (9 or 10 meters) you will probably need to spend at least another 10k-20k on repairs and upgrades before it can be sailed across the Atlantic. And probably a few thousand euros per month for living expenses.

If you are on a budget, look around the world at ports where people give up their dream and sell boats at a steep discount to fly home. Mexico, Thailand, Indonesia, places like that. The boats will be cheaper, and its a lot cheaper to live there while you are getting it ready.
Old 30-05-2022, 10:52   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Welcome to CF Marcelo. I've no experience buying boats in Europe, but what I have found is that no matter where you go there are cheap boats. Some good, some bad. But size plays a significant role in cost, to buy, to fixup and to live on. So buy small, live cheap, also less forgiving as you learn and make errors.

Another way to learn is to gain experience as crew with other people. Web sites like Crewfinder offer opportunities. If you 're interested in a vicarious experience then there's a YouTube channel called White Spot Pirates where the operator bought an absolute junker boat and spent a couple of years doing it up. Worth watching the first series to see the frustrations.

Keep posting your experiences.
Old 31-05-2022, 07:24   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

One presumes you have the right to live and work in Europe for an extended period ?
Old 31-05-2022, 07:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
One presumes you have the right to live and work in Europe for an extended period ?
Yes, i'm also an italian citzen, so i can stay for as long as i want
Old 31-05-2022, 07:41   #6

Thank you guys for all the replys, actually, now with the new infos that you all gave to me, i'm open to more possibilities for places to start looking for my boat. Maybe you are asking yourselves, "Why don't buy a boat in Brazil?". Here in Brazil, we have a very low offer of boats to buy, witch makes the price of boats go super high... So thats why i'm looking for another places... Acctualy, anywhere in the world fits for me lol
Old 31-05-2022, 09:08   #7
Nearly an old salt

My goal is live on a 10,000 euros sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inicnat View Post
Yes, i'm also an italian citzen, so i can stay for as long as i want

It’s entirely possible to buy a small boat to live on for 10K. Fixing it up to cross the Atlantic might be a lot harder to do. Finding somewhere cheap to live on your boat but that has work available is not so easy.

If you don’t need to work , many small town and harbours can be stayed in for free. This is true of many European countries especially places like Greece.
Old 31-05-2022, 09:15   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Buy a big ass 5 bedroom Beneteau aging of food a Croatia fleet take on massive debt and rent births River fellow student to make ends meet. What are you, new.
There are also barges and mini floating homes I’ve seen really nice spots
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 09:22   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

This one is about 600 square feet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1B3C85F-9022-4E31-BDDD-5CE69671DD8C.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	258703  
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 11:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s entirely possible to buy a small boat to live on for 10K. Fixing it up to cross the Atlantic might be a lot harder to do. Finding somewhere cheap to live on your boat but that has work available is not so easy.

If you don’t need to work , many small town and harbours can be stayed in for free. This is true of many European countries especially places like Greece.

Thanks for the advice about Greece, i’m psychologist as i said and almost all of my appointments are online, so i can live any place, i just need internet… But the major problem is the currency, because i make just 10000 reais a month, and its like 2000 euros now a days… Do you think that is enought for living?
Old 31-05-2022, 11:42   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the advice about Greece, i’m psychologist as i said and almost all of my appointments are online, so i can live any place, i just need internet… But the major problem is the currency, because i make just 10000 reais a month, and its like 2000 euros now a days… Do you think that is enought for living?
That can support a modest lifestyle, particularly if you anchor out a lot or find a long term marina.

If you are expecting to bounce around staying in marinas in prime areas eating out for a couple nights before moving to the next marina (basically living like a tourist), it gets iffy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 12:14   #12

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

As per Valhalla360's comment, you can still live comfortably on €2000/month living on anchor. As for the <€10,000 boat, make a search of Albin Vegas, we lived on one on and off for almost ten years in the Med and it's a yacht that is capable of crossing from the Med to Brazil when it's time for you to sail home
Old 01-06-2022, 01:41   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

More then enough Greece , our living costs for two are less then that a month
Old 01-06-2022, 03:13   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

Inicnat we had a Russian guy on here asking the same question. I found him plenty of good deals on Facebook. Just go to Facebook Market place and type in the location and search sailboat.
I found a few good deals that made me question why I wouldn't buy a yacht in the med.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:04   #15

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

maybe that , in Britanny ?
https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/2157154650.htm
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat