Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 19:51   #1

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Naval Officer and Cruiser

Hello folks,

I've made a couple posts here already, but I figured I ought to introduce myself before making any more.

I'm Alexei. I live in Annapolis, MD wife my wife, Ericka, our 6-month old daughter Sibylla, and our dog, Chloe. I am a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. My speciality is submarines, but right now I work in the Pentagon.

We own a 1974 Sabre 28 named Icefire that we dock in a creek off of the Severn River a short ways north of town.

I've taken Icefire from Portland, ME to Biddeford, ME, a journey that ended in calamity that's discussed in the sailor's confessional thread. Also from Biddeford, ME to Groton, CT. We sailed her around Long Island Sound a few times, then trucked her down to Annapolis when I was transferred here. In the process, wind sheer ripped off the forward hatch, so she was laid up for a time for repairs. As of last weekend, though, she's once again seaworthy and we took her out for a brief sail on the Chesapeake. This weekend, we'll be re-varnishing the teak topside, re-sealing a couple of the portholes, and polishing the brightwork on Saturday, then sailing her again on Sunday.

We've joined the Chesapeake Bay Sabre Association and the Chesapeake Sailing Club, and we intend to cruise around the Bay a lot over the next couple years. I've been crewing on other people's boats in Wednesday night races here on the bay. When my skills are greater, I'm considering entering Icefire in Friday night races as well.

I've been in the Navy 11 years, and intend to remain for at least 20. When that's done we're talking about at least taking a cruise down to the Caribbean, perhaps further. We intend to either homeschool our daughter or send her to private school anyway (we will never submit her to the travesty that is government school in this country), so that shouldn't be a hard transition to make.

Ericka really wants a catamaran at some point down the road. That's good, because I do to. I like the greater speed, she's attracted to the greater room. So that should work out nicely.

Well, that's about it. We're happy to be in Annapolis, and we love our boat. We're looking forward to sailing her a lot now that I'm not at sea on my other boat all the time.

-Alexei
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 20:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Wow - Sounds like you have the perfect "nautical" family!

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your sailing adventures.

We visited friends in Maryland one summer. They had a cape cod on the bay, a Grandbanks tied up on one side of their dock and a 30 foot sailboat on the other.

I was green with envy. Although I suppose one does have to put up with winter up there ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 21:22   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Lt.Cmdr. It's a pleasure to have you here.

I went to the "confessional" thread and read the tale of your adventure when you came down the Maine coast. Sounded like a lot of fun.

You seem to have a good attitude, Alexei, and it should serve you well, both in your professional career and your pleasure-boating. Again, welcome. Um, let's see - Alexei, Ericka, Sibylla and Chloe - it is the U.S. Navy you're in, right?

TaoJones
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Commander,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you on the forum. I once belonged to the U. S. Naval Sailing Association at Annapolis. A really big organization that is worldwide. I was never stationed in that area but had the opportunity to visit Annapolis (once on a Nuke Cruiser) and the Pentagon from time to time. I was mostly stationed on your targets.
Sounds like you have the sailing bug and once its bit it is hard to get over.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Welcome, Alexei! I'm a retired Naval Aviator, Naval Academy Sailing Coach and catamaran owner. Check into the Naval Sailing Association, and you can find a boat to sail at almost any Naval Facility near water, and other boat owners to go cruising with.
The Pentagon can be a CLE (career-limiting experience) so anyone would understand if you find yourself 'volunteering' 60 hour weeks, but I really hope you can manage a lot of time on the water. Find out if any of the stars around you are sailors. Its good to have a mentor.

I did a tour in ASW.

icu!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 00:22   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Alexei and family,
Nice to see you all pulling in the same direction and think the more stories you share, the more you'll encourage other familys to take up sailing.
Look forward to reading them.
Enjoy
JOHN