Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 17:22   #1
DGT

NC Mountain sailing....Yeah right

Hello everybody....
I have been checking things out here for a while and figured I might as well step in. I am a 33 y/o self-employed furniture/stair builder that has caught the sail bug. I went to sailing school last weekend to "see if I enjoy sailing"....as if you couldn't. So now I am on the hunt. I live in Asheville NC in the heart of the mountains. Great place to sail, right. So I am looking for a first boat. Something weekend-worthy. My biggest concern is raising the mast. I really don't want to spend 2 hrs. getting set up for a weekend. I fear that I will just have a boat in the yard with grass up to the rails if I can't get in the water in a reasonable time, not to mention that the wife has given me the OK, but will be very disillusioned if we spend more time rigging than sailing. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for allowing me aboard!
DGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 19:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
You can have the boat some place near the water and launch as required or trailer and just get good at rigging it. A few hours rigging sure beats driving. Think in those terms. A friend with a 25 ft used to club race on a lake then a few times a year trailer to the Great Lakes. Lake sailing has it's own pluses. The other choice is to drive to the water and keep the boat there.

I had a neighbor that was refitting a pretty beat up Crealock 34. During the season he drove 5 hours on Friday and came back late Sunday. He did it every other weekend in season. There are limits to what you can do but no limits to finding ways to sail.

Anything that gets you out there works. Living close to the boat where the water is is better but if it's not possible then it won't work for you. Look at the options and find the one with the most fun and admit it's the best you can do.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 22:28   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome matey and glad the bugs got you also.
I;m a lucky one who's always lived close or on the sea, but heop you find the solution that best suits you.
Frankly, rigging up to a 25 footer might look daunting before you've done it. But do it 30 times a year and you'll get to be pretty quick.
For what its worth - when we lived in Perth, Australia and kep yachts up river, we had to drop their masts each weekend when we went out to race or cruise.
You get set up for it and we used to regularly drop our 40 footers rig to get under 3 brodges, and hoist it back up - all underway.
'We' being self and wife.
Good luck
JOHN
Old 05-06-2008, 17:38   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha DGT,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. Even with your boat in the water on a mooring you would spend at least 45 minutes getting it ready to sail (I've got 45 minutes to the water). Two hours from hitching up the the trailer to the truck and sailing is not unreasonable. I've come to enjoy the challenge of getting faster and faster at getting underway without mishap. Even the time getting ready to sail and just enjoying being on the water can be rewarding. I guess after awhile it becomes an adjustment in attitude. If I just wanted to be on the water and go I'd have a jetski. Just gas and a key and you are going fast.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 17:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Do a search on trailer sailors as there are a few threads discussing them. How big is the lake. Do you really intend to spend the weekend aboard. I will repeat what I have said before. Keep it around 20-22 feet and 2000lbs or less to keep set up and launch easier. A Catalina 22 would be a good starter boat. Plenty around in all price ranges and ages.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 17:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I guess after awhile it becomes an adjustment in attitude.
You can't fault the best you can do. It's mostly a game of showing up. If you get in the water you win.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 19:44   #7
DGT

Thanks Everybody. I guess I'll just jump in a figure it out from there. That works for me. I have always been one to find the solution AFTER acquiring the problem, why should this be any different!!! Thanks again
DGT is offline   Reply With Quote