Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 13:17   #1

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
need info on island trader 41

Hello all, this is my first post but I've been avidly following CF for a couple of years. You are all a wonderful bunch and I thank you for all the advice and very witty comments.

I need your help: I'm looking at an Island Trader 41 Auxilliary ketch, built by Marine Trading Int'l. 1973, in Marathon Fl. I can't locate alot of info on the internet on MT. Does anybody have any info on this boat or builder? I'm looking at the boat on 10/10 so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all, Ken.

Zee, I tried to PM you but I'm a new member so not possible.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:07   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: need info on island trader 41

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I hope you can find someone that can help. I believe Marine Trading International was the company that sold the boats but all were built overseas in Taiwan.
I do like the design and it reminds me of my old Garden ketch.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:07   #3

Thanks Skipr, as it turns out the price was right and I hopefully will be owning this boat in a week. Is this where the fun begins?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:39   #4

Beware of the plywood cabin and possibly decks.... BIG BIG issues if it hasn't already been done. Just a warning... like those boats, but don't want you to go in with blinders on!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:23   #5

There is a soft spot on cabin wall, water entering behind teak through dried up caulking. Couple of minor soft spots on deck. Survey is 10/15 hope everything checks out. This boat mainly needs sanding of teak and varnishing, new bottom paint and rudder re glassed in places.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
There is a soft spot on cabin wall, water entering behind teak through dried up caulking. Couple of minor soft spots on deck. Survey is 10/15 hope everything checks out. This boat mainly needs sanding of teak and varnishing, new bottom paint and rudder re glassed in places.
Be very aware that if there are a few, they may lead to a major rebuild. have you any way to chek under the cockpit? Buy an awl and start probing anything you can reach. It should not go in more than maybe 1/16".
BE SURE TO HAVE A GOOD SURVEY.
The Asian plywood used often just comes apart once water starts migrating thru it.

Google this for a lot of info. Might help. The below is from some of these CF threads a while back.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/pros-and-cons-ct41-formosa-91574.html

“We had three CT 41's at my dock for several years. All three showed severe dryrot beneath the large "windows" of the cabin sides. I'm talking peat moss. One removed the entire cabin, then, later (out of the correct sequence) the entire deck and cockpit. Tap the cabinside with a hammer handle or screwdriver handle to listen for a deadened sound, suggesting dryrot. “

“choppergun???? more like plywood made of philipine mahogany----i have found none of the 1980's choppergun stuff in my 1976....but the philipine mahogany rots at the mention of the word water and does it rather quickly.....the decks are originally teak decking applied over philipine mahogany plywood decking. add the screws that were used to fasten the teak, get rotting decking.all of them used the same woods and fillers”

I think there were some later ones in the 80's with real glass decks. There was a bunch of different builders of the mostly same boat; CT41, Island Trader, Sea Tiger, Sea Wolf...

Old 11-10-2014, 12:46   #7

You might also read about the loss of Rebel Heart on this forum. It was not this boat design, but I believe in the end a very well kept boat came apart due to glass over ply decks.... If you are just cruising locally then I wouldnt worry about this issue.

Old 11-10-2014, 13:16   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I have looked at that boat a few times on YW as well. My thought was 20k to buy but another 40k + before she could go offshore. I would make sure the guy you use for the survey goes at the boat hard leaving no stone unturned. Those soft spots could end up making it a very expensive boat.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 14:03   #9

Thanks Cheechako, that's the info I was looking for. I have a survey being performed next week (No idea they cost that much $820) and the deck and cabin will be a priority. The mizzen mast does have rot issues any idea what the replacement cost is? At $22000 I figure I'm getting a good deal and I do figure spending at least 10 more in the upcoming months. Thank you all for the info.
Old 11-10-2014, 14:05   #10

Lonestar: You were pretty much on the money.
Old 11-10-2014, 14:09   #11

If the survey goes bad the 22k could turn into 10-12k
Old 11-10-2014, 14:09   #12

If you still want the boat at all.
Old 24-10-2014, 05:04   #13

How did the survey go I see the boat has dropped it's price to 19.9k
Old 24-10-2014, 05:52   #14

Boat: Slocum 43

If you're looking at this boat and others similar go to the leaky teaky group on yahoo. Wealth of information from owners.

Replacing the mizzenmast is one of those "it depends" answers. If metal is replacement and you go with new, it's expensive. A used replacement from a damaged boat is much cheaper but much harder to find. Replacing wood with wood is not an option, you'd just remove the mast and have a good wood worker scarf in a new section. Cutting out the rot and scarfing a new section would be my recommendation.

So how was the survey?
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 05:53   #15

Survey turned up major issues with moisture in decks. Readings over 900 on moisture meter. Mizzen mast ready to snap in two. Nice boat but it's a project. It could be bought for a lot less than asking price.

Tags
island trader, trade