Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 00:29   #1

New and Looking for Opinions

Hello everyone, I have recently decided to take up sailing after alot of years of thinking about it . One of the first things I have learned is that there is alot to learn, thankfully resources like this are available to seek help and advice. So as the summer of 2012 begins to near its close, i will continue to canoe and kayak the lakes and rivers of ontario with dreams of the sailing adventures that will begin with lessons in the spring.
ottawakyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 03:52   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: New and looking for opinions

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a great plan.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:49   #3

I'm right there with you! The big dream has been to cruise around the islands and such when we retire in 11 years. I can't have that 41' liveaboard yet, but we're going to stepping stone our way there.

We're looking at buying a 22' Bristol to learn on and begin our sailing adventures. I'm SO EXCITED!!!

(My sailing experience is limited to my Hobie kayak that has a sail and when I got THAT, I never peddled/paddled her again! LOL)

I wish you the best on your waterway journeys as well.

~Danielle
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 10:35   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: New and Looking for Opinions

Welcome to the forum. I remember hitch-hiking from Hamilton to Ottawa in the early 70's. Wonderful city.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 11:39   #5

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and I have a couple questions. I have been living in China since 2001 and I am returning to Victoria BC next year. I am going to be buying a boat. A Cal 27 perhaps or similar. I am NOT a sailor as of yet but will learn. I was a pilot for many years and didn't bend any aircraft in that time. My question is....is it going to be too difficult to learn on a Cal or Catalina 27 in Juan De Fuca Strait area? I know it is a challenging place to sail. Any comments or advice appreciated. Thanking you in advance
marc wellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMermaid View Post
I'm right there with you! The big dream has been to cruise around the islands and such when we retire in 11 years. I can't have that 41' liveaboard yet, but we're going to stepping stone our way there.

We're looking at buying a 22' Bristol to learn on and begin our sailing adventures. I'm SO EXCITED!!!

(My sailing experience is limited to my Hobie kayak that has a sail and when I got THAT, I never peddled/paddled her again! LOL)

I wish you the best on your waterway journeys as well.

~Danielle
It is indeed exciting, my sailing experience is nil, i was once on a sailboat for a few hours. The idea of travelling with no fuel is aweswome to me, my kayak and canoe days are not gone but I am les and less fond of carrying my tent in them. I like the idea of having a boat with a bed.
ottawakyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 21:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc wellman View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and I have a couple questions. I have been living in China since 2001 and I am returning to Victoria BC next year. I am going to be buying a boat. A Cal 27 perhaps or similar. I am NOT a sailor as of yet but will learn. I was a pilot for many years and didn't bend any aircraft in that time. My question is....is it going to be too difficult to learn on a Cal or Catalina 27 in Juan De Fuca Strait area? I know it is a challenging place to sail. Any comments or advice appreciated. Thanking you in advance
The Gulf Islands and area is a very challenging place to learn to sail. Lots of currents, high tides and many rocks. In the summer the winds can be quite light. There are sailing schools in the area that can be of help. Sidney has many; there a few in Victoria.

You might also think about getting some racing experience. It helps to experience good sailors in light air moving a boat.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:15   #8

Thanks for that. I have thought about lessons and I do realize it is going to be challenging in Gulf Islands but after many years of challenging bush flying in Labrador and Yukon, I am hoping my good sense will prevail. It seems to me that sailing and flying do share some things, such as sense to not challenge weather. Since I am going to be living in that area, I am stuck with the waters I have, but perhaps getting experience in those waters are a benefit long term.
Again always happy to hear your thoughts as experienced mariners
marc wellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 16:43   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I too recommend a beginners class even if you buy the boat beforehand. You'll sail handling which is something you can always use more experience doing.
kind regards,