Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 15:16   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: New Boat

There's a lot of suggestions on how to make the interior more user friendly on some of WWP 19 sites.
In the July 2003 issue of Sail there was an article about Bill Teplow sailing "Chubby" his WWP 19 from SF to Hawaii.
She's a beaut!
Congratulations.
Old 08-03-2014, 15:20   #17

Because we use a Minn Kota for power on our WWP19 we have our batteries mounted center just forward of the compression post under the v-berth and cables run to the transom with lugs mounted there. Make sure the lugs are far enough apart so you can't touch both at the same time and you have a battery shut off switch if you do that mod.
Old 08-03-2014, 15:31   #18

Since you had a 15 already you know about bottom paint and keeping your daggerboard in the up position while at dock to prevent marine growth. When we bottom paint our 19 we drop the daggerboard down as far as possible, paint it then put it back up while we're in the slip or moored. Keeps that growth off the metal board. We also jam as much bottom paint as we can up into the daggerboard slot from underneath.
Old 24-03-2014, 15:59   #19

Well the maiden voyage 32 nautical miles ave speed 3.2 kph left Cortez marina sailed out long boat key north to fort Desoto into Tampa bay and back ,WHAT A THRILL LIke pee wees big adventure ,learning a lot about my sailing capabilities and what my boat can do .at this point she is more expirenced than I , however we we learn together .Returning under power I ran into problems in the ICW with power boats ,let's just say that my surfing days are not over .in a narrow point of the channel I ran aground when cigarette boats and helicopters forced me into shallow waters . Can any one recommend a good gps that I might use to help . Thanks as always for the time and advice
Kiteboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 17:03   #20

Congrats on the maiden voyage. Was that truly average 3.2 kph or 3.2 knots?

After going aground did you just crank up the daggerboard and get out of the mud? Remember that your rudder will be below your daggerboard if the daggerboard is cranked up and might drag on something. Also if you are in that shallow of water then you can step off and push if the bottom is not too sticky.

I use a Garmin handheld GPS and the cheaper ones seem to do all I need. I also have a handheld VHF radio that I can keep next to me in the cockpit to hear where traffic is. You can also call those big boats in the channel to see what they are up to.

If you haven't had a basic sailing course then I always recommend one and/or buy the book "Start Sailing Right!" and ask lots of questions.

Happy Sailing! She's a great little cruiser.

kind regards,