Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 06:56   #1

New boat quest

Hey everyone,

Looking forward to meeting new people on here. My wife and I are just starting a search for a new 38-42' boat for bay and coastal ocean cruising. We are likely headed towards a used boat vs. new. We started looking at new Hanse/Dehler and while they would be really nice, they may be more than we want to spend right now. What we do like are the wider walk-through transom styles of the newer boats.

I would really like to hear any ideas that you may all have on boats around this size with a wider beam. Also, any pros/cons that you want to share on the newer style boats with the wider beams.

I understand generally where boats in this size range are dollar-wise, so I think we are ok looking for something in the 2015-2020 time period, but open to ideas on something older that has the internal and cockpit space of the wider beam boats.

Thanks for your thoughts and look forward to being part of the forum.

Bob
Seadogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 14:36   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: New boat quest

Welcome to the forum. The Monohull category is a good place to start a thread and post your wants and needs and get feedback.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 12:26   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 12:58   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Adelie asked exactly the questions we find ourselves asking at the start of a lot of threads. What is your sailing experience. What boats have you gone out on, where, what type of weather. What’s your dream boat.
There are sailors that believe sailing is an athletic activity. Then there are manatees. Tell us about yourself and let you crew have a few words. Lastly. Try to go out on a few different boats and tell us what you liked or did not like. Even if it’s just a day sail. OK...what kind of car do you have and how would you describe your driving.
Happy trails.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 13:15   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

It may even be easier if when a new member registers with CF, fill out a forum where you have to fill in the boxes, otherwise it kicks you back until all the criteria is finished.

I realize that Alelie is paid per newbie to ask these questions, so maybe not profitable for him...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 14:26   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quite right, Celestial. All of us are paid either in virtual Scotch or virtual Swiss chocolates.

Ann
Old 25-07-2022, 14:34   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Adelie asked exactly the questions we find ourselves asking at the start of a lot of threads. What is your sailing experience. What boats have you gone out on, where, what type of weather. What’s your dream boat.
There are sailors that believe sailing is an athletic activity. Then there are manatees. Tell us about yourself and let you crew have a few words. Lastly. Try to go out on a few different boats and tell us what you liked or did not like. Even if it’s just a day sail. OK...what kind of car do you have and how would you describe your driving.
Happy trails.
Mark
I didn’t ask a single question. I suggested the include boat & location in profile which facilitates others answering questions.

I don’t drink scotch real or virtual and I’m not into Swiss chocolates, though I’m happy to give all of the above to the Admiral
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 21:33   #8

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The manatee crew never has nor will quote anyone. We still would like to know what kind of car you drive. And tickets.
Honestly it’s very difficult to recommend a particular vessel design without an idea of your budget and your idea of what’s comfortable travel.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 19:44   #9

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Welcome to the forum, Bob. The wider boats have more interior space but evaluating how it is configured is a personal preference. We went from a Hunter 38 to the Bavaria Vision 42 and the increase in living space was enormous. The Vision's beam is only 6in more, but carried much further back. It is a much more comfortable living environment. Similarly the wider cockpit with dual helms is much easier to get around in, and more comfortable with extra people on board. The drop down transom also makes loading/unloading or getting into a dinghy/kayak way easier imo. The wider boat takes up a lot more room in your slip, however. We back in to use the drop down transom and I can't start my turn into the marina fairway as soon to allow the boat to clear my neighbour.
desodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:54   #10

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Welcome aboard Bob.

You can also search through the forum for existing older threads in narrow vs. beamy boats to see how they compare. It sounds like you have a good idea of what you are looking for and as was pointed out the layout makes a massive difference.

My boat has a split cabin design so I have an aft cockpit, aft cabin, and galley with saloon in the front cabin. It feels spacious to me even though it's only 36' x 9' beam, definitely an older style. I've been in beamier boats that feel smaller and some 32' boats that feel like condominiums with their own aft cabins also.

The hunt for the right boat is a fun one! I hope you keep us in the loop.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat