Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 19:38   #1

New family says hello.

Greetings,
My wife and I are new to boating and cruising. We are taking a big plunge into this, living on-board experience. She is a bit nervous, as am I. However, after over 20 years in Alaska and will be retired this Spring. I am retired now, Dianne will be in May. I don't want to wait too long. I'm searching for a boat right now.

Am I going "overboard"? We have been on and around the water, quite a bit over the last few years. I just feel that if we are going to do it, let's do it. The chance is here. We don't need to give up the house or sale off everything. We can afford a live-aboard at todays buyers market. This break in employment makes it easier to switch lanes and head down a southern highway. Are there more out-there like me?

Thanks, Dave
Chinook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 20:49   #2

Well hells bells, he we are in alaska to, for the time being. Look forward to seeing you out there and drop an eMail!

www.sailingohana.com
ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2003, 08:24   #3

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Hi Chinook 1,

Welcome aboard! No, I don't think you're going overboard, and I'm sure every one here will agree. I'm trying to reach retirement to be able to go, if not sooner You don't mention what kind of boat you're planning on cruising on, or your level of experience, but with the right boat for your skills, you'll do fine. Bon voyage!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2003, 11:00   #4

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Dave,

I'm new as well. I retired and my wife has 14 months to go. About a year and a half ago I found an Endeavour 40' 1984 for sale. Never sailed a day in my life. I got tired of looking and dreaming.

Bought the boat.

Waited for a nice day, motored out into the gulf and hoisted sails. Still learning.

We are moving aboard a little at a time. I'm excited and nervous about it at the same time. I'm moving her to a liveaboard slip in a couple of weeks so we can spend more time on her. When she retires we are going to pull out of Tampa Bay and turn left. Will see what happens next.

Good luck in your 'Endeavours'
Old 27-10-2003, 16:19   #5

Well thanks everyone for your responses. We are currently looking at in boat in the Seattle area. It is pretty large but she is fine looking. It may need some fix-up work. I really don't know how much fixer-up expense I should deal with.

This is going to happen. My wife is excited about it as well as my 9 year old. We are going to rent the house out and travel south.
Yee-Ha!! What the hell am I doing???
I got my fingers crossed.

Chinook1
Chinook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2003, 08:25   #6

Wink

We moved aboard in September and have been away for three of the seven weeks. Now that eveyone is safely married and visited we can get our boat ready to leave this spring. Jim will retire in Dec., he is giving his notice this Friday. Yea!!
I meet w/ our daughter's school tomorrow to plan her course work for the next 18 months.
We are changing all the hoses for the holding tank this weekend.
It will be nice when it's all done. We ordered that new sanatation hose from sailnet. Will let you know how it works. We really haven't been around long enough to do much. Most of the work we have done is on the head, new valves (there was a gate valve, that was stuck closed.) We thought while it is clean we will replace everything.
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2003, 16:38   #7

Send a message via ICQ to BBWolf
You're plan sounds most funky to me.

I'm looking to get my first boat in January or so and take off in it and I've yet to set foot on a sail boat of any kind

That is unless I can find where delmarrey keeps his boat so I can nick it - I'm in love with her she's sooooo bootiful
BBWolf is offline   Reply With Quote