Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2007, 09:18   #1

Boat: searay 30ft five o clock
NEW FROM GEORGIA

HI GANG MY NAME IS SAM AND I AM NEW TO YOUR FORM AND I MUST SAY FELLING A LITTLE LOST AMONG YOU PROS WITH MY SEARAY EXPRESS 300. I HAVE HAD SMALL SAILBOATS IN PAST YEARS,A CATALINA 22 AND A RANGER 23, BUT AS THEY SAY IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS, YOU DANCE WITH THE ONE YOU CAME WITH,AND AT THIS TIME ITS A 30FT SEARAY. I HAVE BEEN A TRUCK DRIVER FOR THE PAST 10 YRS,AND THE LAST THREE HAVE BEEN ALL UP HILL,TOUGH RUN,.AND LAST WEEK A ROD WENT THROUGH THE BLOCK OF MY SEMI,WELL THAT WAS THE LAST
STRAW.SO THE WIFE AND I ARE SELLING THE HOUSE,TAKE THE BOAT AND
JUST GO CHILL FOR A YEAR.NOW I KNOW A 30FT SEARAY WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A LIVEABOARD BOAT, AND MAYBE NOT EVEN A BIG OPEN
WATER BOAT,BUT SHE IS ROOMY FOR A 30, 11.6 BEAM AND THE TWIN MERCS RUN SMOOTH,FRESH REBUILD ON THE STARBOARD WITH THE PORT
BEING ORIGINAL. SO THE QUESTION IS WHERE WOULD YOU GO JUST TO
KICK BACK,WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT THE MARATHON AREA OR CROSS OVER TO THE BAHAMAS.I HAVE THE BOAT ON A TRAILER,SO I COULD PULL IT TO A JUMP OFF POINT
sam i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 09:38   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Welcome aboard Sam.

Nice to see a fellow powerboater around here. There aren't many of us ya know!

Hit the "Caps Lock" button would ya? Typing in all CAPS is the equivalent of shouting on the Internet. We know there's a few ole' foggies around here that are hard of hearing sometimes but they can usually read perdy well!

Lots of good boating up north for power boats. Hudson River, Lake Champlain, Erie Canal and all the finer points north along the Great Lakes if you're inclined to go that far. Up here in Canada we meet a lot of great American folks cruising for the summer on boats just like yours. There's plenty of stops with services along the way so boat size doesn't matter much.

Anyhow, you'll no doubt get lots of feedback from the cruisers nearer your home as well. Again, welcome.

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 09:52   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Sam,
Great to get more input from the power side of the sailing scene and hope you enjoy your trip.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 17-01-2007, 10:05   #4

caps lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
Welcome aboard Sam.

Nice to see a fellow powerboater around here. There aren't many of us ya know!

Hit the "Caps Lock" button would ya? Typing in all CAPS is the equivalent of shouting on the Internet. We know there's a few ole' foggies around here that are hard of hearing sometimes but they can usually read perdy well!

Lots of good boating up north for power boats. Hudson River, Lake Champlain, Erie Canal and all the finer points north along the Great Lakes if you're inclined to go that far. Up here in Canada we meet a lot of great American folks cruising for the summer on boats just like yours. There's plenty of stops with services along the way so boat size doesn't matter much.

Anyhow, you'll no doubt get lots of feedback from the cruisers nearer your home as well. Again, welcome.

Rick
sorry about the caps moosehead all over the key pad eh
Old 17-01-2007, 10:09   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sam,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. I always like to hear what's up with the powerboaters from time to time. You certainly have a great many places to explore in your area.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 14:47   #6

searay sam

thanks for your come back john,I to am ex navy from 1961 to 1965 aboard
the uss annapolis agmr1,she was the old uss gilbert islands in ww11,a small flattop,brought back in commision as a communication vessel only.
we patrolled the coast of viet nam and had enough relay power to send
land based traffic to subic bay,that was our mission.you also are in fine
waters.hope to see them one day...sam
Old 17-01-2007, 14:55   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Welome aboard sam i am,
I see you patrolled Viet nam,
I hope you liked Green Egg's and Ham,

Someone had to do it

Have fum here Sam, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Dave
Old 17-01-2007, 15:05   #8

green eggs and ham

I knew that was coming cat man do..you guys are great..happy swells
Old 17-01-2007, 16:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I knew that was coming cat man do..you guys are great..happy swells
Best advice is to keep the boat in the water. If you start running it around on land no telling where you end up and maybe have a parking ticket too. Both cars and boats at the same time is doomed to mechanical problems. Leave the car some place else. They don't travel on the water well at all.

A good place to kick back is generally where you find them. I wouldn't preconceive too much. Seeing as you are in Georgia it's probably best to start there. It's not like you could show up some place late after all. It's not a matter of how far you go. The other side of the world is just as mixed up. Once you get your mind some place else the boat will join you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 18:37   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha "Sea Daddy" Sam,
You beat me into the Navy by 2 years. You had some fancy antennas on Annapolis. Flattop more than 500 feet long and 75 feet wide and very impressive to see. I alter was cruising up and down the Saigon River but not until 69/70 and after 6 doing other things.
I spent 63-65 on USS Carpenter (DD825) in the Far East and Pearl Harbor.
From there it was more ships, more shore duty and finally I'm here in Hawaii. Hope you can get this way.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 19:08   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sam U R?

Welcome aboard
Looks like we should start A Viet Nam thread here. I spent 69-70 off of An Toi, that's that little island off the Southern tip then 70-71 anchored off of Nha be' just down river from Siagon. Spent my time supporting the PBR and Swift Boat fleet. Then up and down the coast on a AFS-7 (San Jose) until 73.

After 7 years out of the Navy I bought a 40' Pacemaker, I missed those river runs and island hop's. But now I'm into the Sail Craft but still keep a run-about in the yard for those hot sunny days.

Have you thought of the ICW. On a PB that would be a good trip. If your a lowboy (no fly bridge) it would be a snap.............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 19:57   #12

flattop

why you ol anchor clanker sounds like you laid eyeballs on the ol agmar
I went aboard in gitmo for her first shakedown cruise.its been a long time
but I remember taking her to holland,portugal,spain,and of course subic
good to know sailors like you are still around....happy swells
Old 17-01-2007, 20:19   #13

hey delmarrey I know your neck of the woods..lived in seattle 5yrs went to the first seahawks game..remember jim zorn and his favorite receiver
steve largent...and yes we are a low rider,but i can pull her south until
the dirt runs out..happy swells...sam
Old 18-01-2007, 06:08   #14
xort

Check this site out for some real inspiration in trailer boating...Cruising America - Halcyon Days

Your cruising grounds are unlimited. You can bypass the expensive areas of NE and head straight to Maine or Nova Scotia. Definately consider Georgian Bay and the North Channel of Lake Huron. Out west you can consider Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park along with Lake Powell & Lake Havasu. You could easily trailer up to Alaska for the summer. You've got 20 years of choices, good luck narrowing that down!

Just be aware that your 11' beam will be an issue everywhere you go. Do the research on the laws. Many states will issue you a permit but with many restrictions. As an example, in Michigan you cannot tow oversized on weekends or after dark. The Florida Turnpike won't allow overwides. Every state will be different.
Old 18-01-2007, 06:57   #15

trailer boating

Thanks for the suggestions on trailer boating.We have thought about that, and after 10 years of drivivg a semi all over the US I know about
over size loads,and I was pulling the searay with my semi until the engine
blew.It was not the best setup however,truck and boat together was around 50ft rolling down the road,so now I need a really good suv or heavy pickup to do the pulling.The boat is on a new triple axle trailer but she weighs in at 10,000 lbs from the factory...sam

Tags
georgia