Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 15:02   #1

Boat: boat less
New Girl - Virgin Islands with Bad Luck !

I just read a post from a girl who can't get in contact with her father! She sounds almost like me!

I have a really good friend that I can't get in contact with on the same exact route she's talking about. The Key West to Hawaii track. Actually, Key West to Australia track.

The problem is, I really need to contact my friend, if you want to call him that, because he's going to be a father, and I can't reach him either! He doesn't have a boat like her father does either. I am fairly certain he has no radio, and no phone except a cell phone which isn't working. He also left from Key West. Maybe they are on the same track together. I could only hope both are safe.

He's in a 35 foot 1975 Coronado. I know the boat. It's quite nice, but I'm in a heap of panic too. I dont know if it's a safe boat or anything. We had intended to do some sailing, and I had even gotten the information on a sailing class here in Florida for myself. I didn't want to be without a strong foundation before heading on any distance trip. I am a teacher, and I find that the better prepared one is, the better one does with a situation. Not that anyone can be prepared for everything, but the more I can learn, the safer I feel.

I will go back and read what people posted to her post, but I am also quite concerned.

JAYE

"Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit."
-Peter Ustinov

JAYE ISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 18:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hello Jaye. I am sorry about your situation as well. It is of course much easier for a person on a boat to reach out to society than the other way around. Hopefully this new father to be will try to contact you. As I said in my other post, its really helpful to know what type of communication equipment he has on his Coronado. Do you or someone else know what he has on board. As you are already doing, I would follow the suggestions on the other thread since it is a very similar situation.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 19:04   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
OK, Key West to Hawaii or Australia?????? I think someone is pulling our leg.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 20:27   #4

No! I'm serious! Unless someone is pulling mine. I dont know enough about sailing to know if it's possible. But, the route that the girl handling the closing of his business told me he was going through the Panama Canal, had left 2 weeks ago, the he was going to Hawaii, then Australia. I dont know enough about sailing, but is this not possible or something? He's in a 1975 35 foot Coronado, and he has the Southern Cross on his sail. I'm not kidding, unless someone is kidding me.

This is what I was told.

I know the boat was registered in Florida, but he told me he was going to do something with the Isle of Man? Set up a corporation or something, which I didn't understand, because I dont know anyting about registration.

I have followed the other posts, and it seems like there is not much I can do but wait. I do hope that computers will atleast work once he reaches an area where he can get a signal. He does have a laptop.

I dont know about a radio. I know there are a lot of electronic buttons on the boat, because I saw them, but I dont know about a radio. He had mentioned going to Cuba, but I don't know if he could since he's an American.

I only was hoping to get in contact to tell him about the baby, but that may not happen. If he gets to Australia, I'll never be able to get in contact with him.

-Peter Ustinov

Old 24-08-2008, 07:21   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYE ISLAND View Post

If he gets to Australia, I'll never be able to get in contact with him.
Austrailia has computers and phones now.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 08:03   #6

Therapy! You are funny. I know they have phones and computers, but by the time he reaches Australia, the baby may be here! I guess it doesn't really matter.

Phones and computers. That is funny. I'm laughing. I just know there is a lot of open water between here and there, but go ahead and laugh.

Thats what you get with a girl!

Thanks though for your wit! It gave me a laugh.

-Peter Ustinov

Old 24-08-2008, 08:31   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYE ISLAND View Post
Therapy! You are funny. I know they have phones and computers, but by the time he reaches Australia, the baby may be here! I guess it doesn't really matter.

Phones and computers. That is funny. I'm laughing. I just know there is a lot of open water between here and there, but go ahead and laugh.

Thats what you get with a girl!

Thanks though for your wit! It gave me a laugh.
I do hope you get to give the news.
I hope it is received in the manner you expect also!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 22:01   #8

I misunderstood, I thought there was a GIRL VIRGIN.....and some islands with bad luck. I'll figger this newfangled machine out soon enough. Thanks for the patience
Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 07:58   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I will give the same advice. Go down to the marina where the boat was kept, and ask around. You will most likely find tons of information there. He didn't notice the belly swelling?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 20:23   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Good luck!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Virgin Islands