Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 22:46   #1

Hi, you all,
I have become interested in motor yachts recently. I have no experience but am just curious about living on board for periods of time and that particular lifestyle. I have been reading harrowing accounts of adventures at sea during periods of heavy weather, and the toll it takes on the ship as well as the crew. It is interesting to read firsthand experiences and visualize the actual moments describing the drama, and thus come to experience a small part of it all by living the events even vicariously. I greatly respect the seaman who has known the reality of life on the sea in all kinds of weather, whose education can never be duplicated. I guess I should like to have the privilege of hanging around and listening to the bits and pieces that make up your unique and fascinating lives. I thank you all for your graciousness in allowing me to absorb from reading your threads, because i have absolutely nothing to contribute, except perhaps an annoying question occasionally when I might want to "pick your brains". So, thank you for welcoming me to your great web site.
Most sincerely,
ekps1388
ekps1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 22:49   #2

Re: New Member

Welcome aboard. Everyone is learning, or should be, anyway. I heard somewhere that you should never get on a boat with someone who tells you they are a good sailor.

Get as much time on the water as you can. The more experience you have, even if it's just rowing a canoe on the bay, can be helpful. A lot of it is about knowing how the ocean works as much as it is about how boats work.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 23:09   #3

Thank you Rebel Heart!
Old 10-06-2013, 00:13   #4

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Welcome ekps, all of us have to start somewhere and you couldn't begin in a better place than Cruisers Forum. The people on here are friendly and helpful and everyone contributes a little to help a lot. Don't be afraid to ask a question, it's better to feel a fool for a minute than go charging ahead alone and confirm it. Fortunately in the digital age you have the power at your fingertips to learn in minutes what others took years to experience. First you need a love of the water, respect nature and be friendly to everyone. Good Luck for your future.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 00:28   #5

Welcome I am on a slightly different journey then you right now but you have come to the right place. all kinds of great information here and the people are great.

if you say where you are there might be some peeple in the area on here that can show you a thing or two. get on a boat. go rowing do something its fantastic there is a very high chance you will love it.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18   #6

Thank you Irish Rambler.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:53   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! The joy of cruising outweighs the "inconveniences" -- and most of the serious danger can be mitigated by preparation and patience. (And the harrowing tales are often "edited for significance" -- except by me, of course!)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Navegante1105

Hi,ekps1388: I agree with the forum, You never end learning something everyday; the most time You spend in the sea, the more experience You have, but never end learning.
Welcome to the club.. Regards, Agustín.
Navegante1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 13:00   #9

Thank you, Augustin.
Old 10-06-2013, 13:01   #10

Thank you waterway guide.
Old 20-06-2013, 11:55   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here on the forum. Most of us really try very hard to not end up in extreme weather conditions. Luckily the three hurricanes I was in I was on Navy ships and not in my own boat. Even on Navy Cruisers it was exciting enough.
Look up Power Boat Squadron to see if there are some courses that you might want to take. Also the USCG Auxiliary offers safe boating courses that are well worth the time and money.
kind regards,