Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 16:39   #1

Boat: islander, 37- help?

ive been pooking around in here for a while and thought i would say hello and thanks for all the information everyone provides! and thank you all for being good natured!

ive been sailing since i did my first solo off the beach at age eight, after going through a few lake weekenders i am currently refitting an Islander 37, in hopes of hedding south next winter.

so be prepared for lots of questions!!!

and if you have any idea for a name... that thus far has been the hardest task.

joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	de2f_3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3473  
neckyzips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 21:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Naming someone else's boat is fun. Tell us a little more about the boat, how you decided on it, where you want to cruise it and so on to spark some ideas.

Sounds like you have a ton of experience.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 22:51   #3

Dan,
actually the boat was a buy it now from eBay... i was just out of surgery from an achelies tendon heel injury, browsing eBay on 1500mg of vicodin. saw this little beauty and just had to have it! called the seller, felt really comfortable with him and took the plunge! (note to self never eBay while under the influence...) turned out ok a few weeks later made it up to see my new boat, all was solid and sound. sails in dry storage that had never been hanked on, Mercedes engine with 40 hours, properly winterized, soft floor but, other than that and needing to be updated and some new wiring (for peace of mind) she was in great shape!

sailed her down from a why pay less don't do it your self marina to a tidy little utilitarian one in Deltaville Va. she points well, balances quickly and reaches at about 10knots!

the plan is to finish the refit this summer and head to the Bahamas in the fall. i have an uncle that's a captain for AUTC, we will hang out with him for a few months, then sail to the Caribbean and back up the South American coast. we plan on being gone for about 2 years, or until the money runs out!

we (my wife and i) have gone through almost every idea from combined parents names to astrological hart stars, and nothing suits. the closest we have gotten is Sea Rover, only because i am an avid Land Rover off road enthusiast.

so really any help would be greatly appreciated!

joe
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Joe,
Welcome! I think you already have a name for your vessel--neckyzips-- If you want other ideas try Office of Science and Technology
neckyzips would have people asking you where did you get the name or what the name means? Enjoy naming your vessel.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neckyzips View Post
the plan is to finish the refit this summer and head to the Bahamas in the fall. i have an uncle that's a captain for AUTC, we will hang out with him for a few months, then sail to the Caribbean and back up the South American coast. we plan on being gone for about 2 years, or until the money runs out!...
Is your uncle with “AUTEC” (Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center) at Andros Island, Bahamas?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12   #6

John,
actualy "NECKYZIPS" is the brand and model of my white water kayak, its a Necky Zip, i needed a screen name way back wheen, that was hanging above the computer... and your right lots of people ask about it. thanks though

Gord,
Yes, you are correct, sorry for the Spelling... thats never been one of my strong points! At some point i was thinking of working as an enginer for them for a while to rebuild the kitty. i'm just not too sure what i think of being stuck in an engine room of a big steel ship in the Bahamas... might be a quick way to sewat off some pounds!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:33   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Why not call her 'Achilles Heel'.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42   #8
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Joe - welcome aboard and check your email
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:06   #9

[quote=Southern Star;158672]Why not call her 'Achilles Heel'.

i thought about that, but didnt something bad happen to Achilles? jsut a bit superstitious i guess, figuring its going to be bad enough changing the name already, lol
Old 03-05-2008, 04:27   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
necky,

How about calling her "Hydrocodone", the generic name for Vicodin?

Like sailing, "Hydrocodone is habit-forming, and can lead to physical and psychological addiction", according to the label.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:53   #11
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
You're right, of course - the term Achilles heel is typically used to denote a weak spot. I was thinking more in terms of her being your weak spot (and admittedly, it was a rather weak pun). Considering the pain-killers you were on at the time of the purchase, why not something like 'Demerol Dream'? Sorry, couldn't resist. She looks gorgeous and naming a boat is such a personal thing - I am sure that something will come to you in time.

I would only suggest that you avoid any form of intoxicants when coming up with your list of prospective names. A couple of years ago my lady and I were sitting at a bar on Margarita Island, trying to think of original web domain names for the small resort we were going to build on the beachfront lot we had purchased that day. We wanted (needed) something original - for personal reasons, but also because so many names have already been taken. The rum drinks flowed and to our amusement we came up with a huge list, including: Godzvillas.com, CoupeDeVillas.com, VillasfromHell.com and my personal favorite - Villasontheisland.com. The last one was actually an effort to be serious - you know, 'villas on the island'. Unfortunately, the next morning I sobered up and saw that it could also be read as 'Villas on Theisland'. I could just picture prospective customers saying "Where the hell is Theisland? Sounds awfully cold!" Or, "Hey, I wonder if their national anthem is 'Theisland, Theisland, uber alles!'".

Congratulation on your new purchase and the new adventures she will bring!

Brad

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56   #12

[quote=Hud3;158683]necky,

How about calling her "Hydrocodone", the generic name for Vicodin?

Hud,
i like that one, no doubt its at the top of the list!
Old 06-05-2008, 14:17   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Necky,
Welcome aboard!! I do like your boat. There is one for sale on my island in Kona. If I had some time and a full tank of gas I'd drive over and take a look.
Is it the cabin sole that is soft? Floors are something else in boats.
Is your engine an OM636? If so, I have the exact same engine and know quite a bit about it having redone a lot of it.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:31   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
...she points well, balances quickly and reaches at about 10knots!...
Why not call her Tall Story?

Unless you were surfing, which would, I imagine, take some decent sized waves and plenty of blow, 10 knots is gonna be difficult to achieve on a 37 foot leadmine.

Having said that, she looks like a pretty boat. Good luck with your adventures!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:34   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Why not call her 'Achilles Heel'.
i thought about that, but didnt something bad happen to Achilles? jsut a bit superstitious i guess, figuring its going to be bad enough changing the name already, lol
From memory, nothing bad actually happended to Achilles per se. He was an archer (with Jason, of The Argonauts), who shot the plug out of the heel of a mythical brass titan, which was "powered" by ichor, so with the plug removed, the ichor all drained out, and the monster was defeated... hence Achilles heel; a metaphor for somthing's (or someone's) critical weakness that can be exploited to one's own advantage.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote