Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 10:20   #1

New member 20Kirk18

Hello my name is Kirk. I am currently a college student and finally decided to get an old kayak that's been converted for sailing from a garage sale. Something has always drawn me boats, and being a huge history fan, I've always loved the old man-of-war's and galleons. I would like to learn how to sail for fun. If you have any tips for getting started or know any good teachers in Southern California let me know!
20kirk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: New member 20Kirk18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20kirk18 View Post
Hello my name is Kirk. I am currently a college student and finally decided to get an old kayak that's been converted for sailing from a garage sale. Something has always drawn me boats, and being a huge history fan, I've always loved the old man-of-war's and galleons. I would like to learn how to sail for fun. If you have any tips for getting started or know any good teachers in Southern California let me know!
Howdy Kirk, and Welcome Aboard CF!

As for learning about sailing and the focus on cruising:
I think CF is the very best place to do that online, if you really want to dive in deep into the subject of cruising, and be in a friendly online community that supports it.

There are many resources here on CF that can help you learn about boats, sailing, navigation, seamanship, cruising, live aboard life, and much more. Take some time to click on the various forums, and view some of the threads on more than just the first page of topics. You will find many hours of potential good reading.

I also think sailing lessons are helpful. I recommend them, if taken at a good sailing school, in a location that has good wind. They should help you learn, understand and practice the essential techniques that Sailing requires. Good lessons, given by good teachers, can help most people learn faster and with better comprehension, and can help newbies overcome hesitancy and fears. Best practices can help you avoid costly mistakes and hazards, reducing risks, and at the same time increasing skills, confidence, and enjoyment for you and others who may go sailing with you.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and hopefully in the future when you go sailing too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy Kirk, and Welcome Aboard CF!

As for learning about sailing and the focus on cruising:
I think CF is the very best place to do that online, if you really want to dive in deep into the subject of cruising, and be in a friendly online community that supports it.

There are many resources here on CF that can help you learn about boats, sailing, navigation, seamanship, cruising, live aboard life, and much more. Take some time to click on the various forums, and view some of the threads on more than just the first page of topics. You will find many hours of potential good reading.

I also think sailing lessons are helpful. I recommend them, if taken at a good sailing school, in a location that has good wind. They should help you learn, understand and practice the essential techniques that Sailing requires. Good lessons, given by good teachers, can help most people learn faster and with better comprehension, and can help newbies overcome hesitancy and fears. Best practices can help you avoid costly mistakes and hazards, reducing risks, and at the same time increasing skills, confidence, and enjoyment for you and others who may go sailing with you.

I hope you enjoy your time on the forum, and hopefully in the future when you go sailing too.
Thank you for the info and recommendations! I will try to look for a sailing school near me in Los Angeles.
20kirk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kirk.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member

« Hi.. | New!!! »