Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2006, 12:27   #1

Hello Everyone,

I just joined the Forum today.

This is the fourth year sailing for my wife and I. We are both in our early 50's. We first joined a local sailing club and found it a great way to learn sailing. While books and magazine articles are well and good, we found the key to learning is having great teachers and this sailing club has them. They do not own boats, but set up a sailing program each year. You sign up for the trips you are interested in and pay as you sign up. Since joining, we have sailed about 65 days in 3 years, and have got our ASA 101 certification and USGS Aux basic/advanced coastal navigation certificate. Most of the sailing is on the Chesapeake, but we have sailed in the Keys and Long Island and Block Island Sounds.

We're doing a 2 week trip with the club to Desolation Sound this August and thinking of getting our ASA 103/104 certificates this winter, preferably in the BVI's.

Does anyone have any recommendations of ASA sailing schools in the BVI's? I looked through the forums, but could not find any current threads.

BobB
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 13:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
My wife and I joined a club when first started. It was a great way to learn and we had access to a boat close to home.

We took our ASA 101 from Northern Breezes. They do a 103/ 104 course in the BVI's. They are located in the Minneapolis area so you should find them through the ASA directory in MInnesota. They really won't care where you are from but they teach the 103 /104 in the BVI's as well as out of Bayfield, WI. Lake Superior would abe a great place to take the coure too in the summer. We took ours in San Diego as a liveabord course. Thats the best and that is what Northen Breezes does in the BVI's. The San Diego course you had your own boat and instructor so that was a bit more one on one.

I think the key is that not many actual schools are located in the BVI but a lot of other schools conduct their ASA advanced classes there mostly because it's a place where people want to go.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 21:15   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha BobB,
Welcome aboard!! I'm certain your questions can be answered here by friendly folks.
Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 00:24   #4

Welcome to cruisersforum, BobB.

ASA!!!

Sombody in here will know about that. Pblais, already mentioned about it. There are others on here that could chime in more info. Just wait a bit for more information. It's around the weekend. And everybody's out sailing. Or out of town?

Welcome aboard.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 21:57   #5

Boat: Boat owner wannabe
I've heard of ASA too.
BubbleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote